Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My EVO is Whining!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BRN-EVO
To be honost I cant tell the difference while driving. however, I noticed the shifter or (maybe the bushings) has a weird sound as I move it through gears. I also noticed while driving, the whining sound gets louder when I step on the clutch or when I keep it in neutral.

Mine is doing the same thing exactly. Its your TC. Flush it - I can guarantee you have a bunch of metal flakes in the fluid and on the drain plug. Youre lucky, sounds like warranty should cover it. Mine is way over.

Good luck

b
Old Dec 30, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

I have a whine in my T-case for about 3000. I changed the fluid and the fluid was clean with very little flakes on the drain plug.

Don't get too worked up over the whine. Drive the car for a little. If it get's to the point where the whine is overpowering your ehxuats (if you have one) and the radio, then look into buying a new one or having yours rebuilt.

If I roll down my windows and turn on the stereo my whine is non-existant. Windows up and radio low, I can JUST hear it, but it's defiantly there.

Don't sweat it much until It gets REAL loud. Drain the fluid and see what it looks like. Trans too. The trans will most likley have a good bit of gunky looking grey stuff. Mitsubishi synchros are sucky.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
I have a whine in my T-case for about 3000. I changed the fluid and the fluid was clean with very little flakes on the drain plug.

Don't get too worked up over the whine. Drive the car for a little. If it get's to the point where the whine is overpowering your ehxuats (if you have one) and the radio, then look into buying a new one or having yours rebuilt.

If I roll down my windows and turn on the stereo my whine is non-existant. Windows up and radio low, I can JUST hear it, but it's defiantly there.

Don't sweat it much until It gets REAL loud. Drain the fluid and see what it looks like. Trans too. The trans will most likley have a good bit of gunky looking grey stuff. Mitsubishi synchros are sucky.
this is what I say aswell...Evos whine for no damn reason. I've had the so called death whine for over 2 years and my car drives just fine.

Because any whine on this forum means Death Whine and TC failure...
Old Dec 30, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

If my Evo didn't whine I'd be freaked out..
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

I used to get really worked up about it and paranoid. Then I finally gave up worrying because I realized that there isn't anything I can do until it fails. And if you replace it now, or replace it when it fails, what's the differance? Drive that ***** 'til it breaks, hell if it ever does. It's going to cost just as much now as it will when or IF it fails. You'll just have to pay extra for a tow bill home, big deal

Unless the whine get's WAY out of control, just enjoy the car
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

yeah but you dont want the t-case to lock up on you while you are driving at 70mph on a highway...its not fun i had it happen with my dsm.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erald01
yeah but you dont want the t-case to lock up on you while you are driving at 70mph on a highway...its not fun i had it happen with my dsm.
Sounds pretty fun .... Haha, no but that's a good point, though.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

if you can post a video......that would help!!!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys.. Knowing that many evos do this eventually makes me less worried. I have a question that I really like to find an answer to, What causes the transfer case to go out?? I never abused my car! When ever I race, I go for a rolling start, never launched it!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 05:49 AM

hard launches. definetly transfercase i let it go on my car and took it to dealership for the brakes and overall inspection they had on the lift pressed on the gas all wheels spinned then within seconds the back wheels stopped spinning pulled the drain plug all metal. i have a warranty thru national and ended up getting a brand new transfercase. dont let it go
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

the fluid acts as coolant, a lack of fluid would cause the bearings to burn up
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by yellowrocket
hard launches.
I never did a hard launch! not even once. I want to know how would a transfer case go out if you drive your car properly? This is why I'm still asking for a clear answer. What other things could make this sound (similar to transfer case whine).
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Berts24
the fluid acts as coolant, a lack of fluid would cause the bearings to burn up
And does this mean my transfer case should be replaced or repaired?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 05:22 PM

The tranfer case goes out from launching hard or low or wrong fluid level. Mine went out because when i got my clutched replaced Mitsubishi sold my mechanic the wrong oil for the transfer case and a month two weeks later it started doing the whine noise. I got a shepherd for $2,350.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

If it sounds like this then you have a bad transfer case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t0juH8_Hew