Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What drives torque curve shape, boost or tune?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What drives torque curve shape, boost or tune?

I have seen many toque curves and some looks like the shape 1 and others as shape 2. Note that there are not any numbers of torque we are taking just about the shape. Ignore the RPM values.

Is the curve shape for torque mainly defined by the boost profile and not the tune? I think shape 1 is mostly created by MBC on good fuel when using a big boost spike vs shape 2 which is more common with ECU Boost do to more flat curve and not necessarily a boost spike. Is this correct or is it created by the tune?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
shape 2 is holding more boost to redline, afr and timing prob affect it too.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:57 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Boost, timing, fueling, and cam timing, turbo sizing, all of them effect it.

FWIW, I call shape 1 the "puke and die". When the IX came out and good Mivec tuning started popping up, you'd better and fatter torque curves since you can adjust the intake gear (like shape 2). Without optimizing it everywhere (like the VIII), it can only be optimized in one area. The factory cam gear settings on the VIII were optimized to the stock turbo at around 3000-4000rpm.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

The interesting thing is that some of the curves of some tuners are always the same no matter the mods on the car. Something similar to shape 1 so that's why I think it follows the boost curve.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

I think the reason you see some tuners tuning cars with similar curves is because once one person gets a setup right, people copy it because it worked. It's expensive to do all the testing on your own.

I know alot of the cali guys have similar setups with differing brands, but we all have similar results. FWIW on 91 my curves generally look like #1 and on E85 + more boost and more timing it looks like #2.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Boost, tune, fuel, turbo, etc. all effect the torque curve.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I would say in order: Boost (whether it spikes or just comes to a plateau), timing, cams/MIVEC. I have been able to keep consistent torque curves on both VIII and IXs. The intake manifold also plays an important role in the shape of the torque curve.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I would say in order: Boost (whether it spikes or just comes to a plateau), timing, cams/MIVEC. I have been able to keep consistent torque curves on both VIII and IXs. The intake manifold also plays an important role in the shape of the torque curve.
Case closed
Old Jan 1, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

If you took the turbo off of your Evo and ran the car N/A (sinful, I know )... what would the powerband look like? And would peak torque occur at the moment the cams hit their sweet spot?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 05:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
If the engine were suddenly made NA, the powerband would be significantly affected by the efficiency of the exhaust system, so that makes things a bit tougher to compare on equal footing. With the type of hardware typically used in larger turbo builds and an efficient exhaust, the NA torque curve would look more like a linear rise with a plateau somewhere in the 5500-6500 region and a gradual taper down from there.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
If the engine were suddenly made NA, the powerband would be significantly affected by the efficiency of the exhaust system, so that makes things a bit tougher to compare on equal footing. With the type of hardware typically used in larger turbo builds and an efficient exhaust, the NA torque curve would look more like a linear rise with a plateau somewhere in the 5500-6500 region and a gradual taper down from there.
Do you mean from the lack of backpressure with say a 3 - 3.5 inch exhaust?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 05:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Be careful, because backpressure never does anything except rob power.

The most powerful NA engines have tuned, open-dump tubular manifolds that more or less result in zero backpressure. The reason why fitting a large exhaust can hurt an NA engine is because it can kill gas velocity. When this happens it is an issue of exhaust tuning, not an issue of backpressure.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

The most powerful NA engines have tuned, open-dump tubular manifolds that more or less result in zero backpressure. The reason why fitting a large exhaust can hurt an NA engine is because it can kill gas velocity. When this happens it is an issue of exhaust tuning, not an issue of backpressure.
I never knew that. I knew that in turbo cars you wanted the least amount of backpressure possible after the turbo but I thought NA cars were different. Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

THNAK YOU! It is amazing how many people cant wrap their heads around this concept.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:48 PM
EvoM Guru

It's a very popular, widespread misconception, only because how a proper NA exhaust system works isn't something that can be easily gauged by the naked eye, just as one can't look at a saxophone and easily tell in what key it plays.

Engineering a good exhaust for a turbo engine is about as easy as fitting a dryer vent.

Engineering a good exhaust for an NA engine is like designing a musical instrument that plays a certain musical note when pulses of air are blown into it, and that ain't easy.