Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Trans issues...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans issues...

I have issues on my first start on cold days, Hold the clutch in, start the car when I release the clutch it is if the clutch is engaged and it stalls out immediatly when releaseing the clutch, now when I start the second time its fine, I still feel it grab a bit, but it does not stall out.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

I'm having a hard time comprehending what you're saying. Are you saying that if your car is in netraul, depress the clutch and try to select a gear the car stalls? If this is the case, you can try adjusting the clutch pedal but that sounds pretty bad. Usually, you can get away with just adjusting the clutch if you only feel the car nudge foward. Not uncommen in Evo's with aftermarket clutch's.

One thing you can try, again, if I'm understanding you correctly, is if in frist gear, at a standstill with the clutch depressed on level ground, rev up to redline, and if you feel the car move foward even a few inches, your clutch is dragging, same reason you would feel the car nudge when selecting a gear from neutral.

My father had this problem with his Evo. Turns out, his "bone stock" Evo had an aftermarket clutch. He had a stock clutch installed at it works 100% now.

Welcome to Evo's
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Depending on how cold it gets, if its anything like Minnesota here, It could just be the fact that your tranny fluid is so thick from being cold. My car does that so I have to feather the clutch on Initial start up when its in the Negative degrees up here
Old Jan 5, 2010, 02:22 AM
Evolving Member

MitsuJDM, its in netraul, I will explain.. With the car in netraul, I press down on the clutch, start the car, as I am releasing the clutch slowly I feel it start grabbing and it stalls out, now if I just "pop" the clutch (release it quickly) it grabs for a second but the car stays running. Again this is all while the trans is not in any gear. Its really pissing me off, from what I know it has an Exidi Twin disc clutch, I just got the car about two weeks ago, and I really don't know what to think at this point. Also I makes alot of chatter when the clutch is released.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 02:25 AM
Evolving Member

b16a95eg, what do you mean? the weather has been in the 20's, not really in the Negs... but below freezing. I dont know what kind of tranny fluid, or gear fluid is in the car, it has been only two weeks since I got the car.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Are you letting the car warm up??
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

This is at intial start-up Cold start.