Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GFB bov question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GFB bov question

i just put mine on and its a little loud for my taste so i was wondering do i have to hold the spring adjustment cap in place while i rotate for noise adjustment?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
that has nothing to do with noise
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:45 AM

i know but if i turn the adjuster for the venting, the sprong adjsutment cap rotates also, so i was wondering if i have to hold the spring adjustment in place while i rotate the vent adjsuter
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:55 PM

bump
Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:09 PM

The only adjustments on a blow off valve is for certain amounts of boost and that is just a spring rate fixture, you can't quiet a blow off valve unless to put a silencer on one some how.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KyleTsi
The only adjustments on a blow off valve is for certain amounts of boost and that is just a spring rate fixture, you can't quiet a blow off valve unless to put a silencer on one some how.
I think the OP is talking about the GFB stealth FX, which can be adjusted for different % of VTA of plumb back, no you don't have to hold the top cap. They can all spin independently. If you set the spring to the lowest setting, then change the adjustment you will find it is still locked on the lowest setting.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

+1 had this bov and it was crap for me.. i couldnt get it to not flutter uhh
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:37 PM

Hi everyone,
Manofhonor, as burnzy has suggested, you don't need to hold the spring adjustment cap whilst turning the noise adjustment, since the entire head rotates when you adjust the noise and does not affect the spring. You may however need to hold the vacuum nipple ring, or at least re-position it after adjusting.

KyleTsi, the GFB Stealth FX actually does adjust the noise as a separate adjustment, which it does by altering the venting bias between the recirc and the atmosphere outlets more air to atmosphere makes more noise, more air to recirc makes less noise. Additionally, on GFB valves, the spring pre-load does not affect how much boost the valve can hold.

Itchy, I'm interested to hear more about the issues you had with yours, can you fill me in on any mods you had on the car, and specifically what driving conditions the flutter would occur? Did you run the softest spring pre-load?

Best regards,
GFB Pete
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want it to be real quiet, put the stock airbox back on. I guarantee you won't hear it then
Old Jan 28, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

i have this same problem with my gfb stealth fx i absolutely wont stop fluttering whether on the most soft setting or completely vta or completely DV. idk its very iritating though i just want it to blow off instead of flutter and sounds like a damn ricer!!!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:43 PM

Hi everyone,
GG_9_SE, hopefully I can help with your problem. First of all, I need to clarify some things:

Does the valve vent at ALL, or do you only get flutter under all conditions when you close the throttle (i.e. light load, low RPM, high load, high RPM)?

Do you have the stock turbo and intercooler, or have you upgraded either or both? Any other mods?

Pop the hood and set the valve to VTA so you can see the piston through the trumpet. Watch the piston from a good safe distance and give the engine a good rev. Does the piston open and vent after revving the engine?

If you can let me know the answers and results of the above, I should be able to suggest a solution.

Best regards,
GFB Pete