Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

in motor drop in pistons pros and cons. techniq

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in motor drop in pistons pros and cons. techniq

Originally Posted by davethewave
so after my motor threw a rod in my last evo i have been seriously contemplating a motor build in my garage. i really dont want to pull the motor that just seems like way too much down time.

I once talked to nick at DTM about doing some drop in pistons and rods. he told me that the best option would be to just bite it and buy a fully blue printed shortblock.

now i fully respect nicks advice, and im sure that everyone here can agree that buying it from a pro shop is going to be the best thing to do.

so im probably going to use the TTP-spec pistons
and manley I-beam rods

as understand, the drop in proceedure requires you to take the head off (which i have done before and doesnt intimidate me) but ive never attempted anything with the bottom end of the motor. ive seen enough engine build threads on this forums and others to know how to do this.

i would just like more information from people who have done this without pulling the motor.
you know what, screw that, can someone just tell me whats the cheapest way of getting a built longblock?

Last edited by Davethewave; Jan 3, 2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with the drop in pistons and rods... you still have to drop almost everything in the engine bay ie tranny too... but obviously the block stays in tact with the mounts. but if you are going to do you might as well unbolt the mounts and drop the block. but since you dont want to do that... i would say just have a clean work area and remember to cover up the block so the walls dont get hit by moisture... good luck with it... shouldnt be too hard and post up pics of your process, im sure other members would be interested in it...
Old Jan 3, 2010, 01:27 AM
Evolving Member

yea, im just not really sure i want to go with the "drop in" route. its just that the block is used and i dont want to put good pistons and rods in without the proper tolerences and sacrifice compression and reliability. and i really dont feel like taking the block and dealing with a machinist. ive read about machine shops that screw engines up and some shops that take a couple months to finish the work.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i was contemplating on doing the same drop in thing when i needed an engine build after a gas station put regular in my tank and i put a hole in a piston... lol but i ended up going with a buschur built block and head (just for go measure)... cause at least you know that everything was done right and with proper tolerances and clearances and if you took it apart, you can put it all back together just make sure you label all your bolts... and i think buschur's block is priced very competitively and im sure mike@awdmotorsports could give you great pricing on it.. lets us know what route you end up picking... good luck with it
Old Jan 3, 2010, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Meh, the way i look at it you have to do so much work for "drop in pistions...etc" that you might as well pull the motor....

I dunno IMO just have a good shop put it together...although that may not be what you want to hear.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

i was thinking about making a trip down to english racing and dropping the car off for a motor build. i would just want to know what the overall cost would be.

if i could just find a vendor who has a built longblock i would consider that.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah i would just go to english racing then since it is more practical since you do not want to re-assemble the motor which is no easy task anyone... it will cost you a little more but at least you have that guarantee of their work.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

edit: double post...