Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Twin went in today!!! It wasn't fun

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy Twin went in today!!! It wasn't fun

Ok so today I installed the Exedy Twin thats been in my closet for a year.
It was my first EVO clutch job. It sucked. I wanted to sell the car about half way through LOL.

Warning to noobs doing an EVO clutch for the first time: Be careful sliding the transmission on, if it rests on the wedge collar at all or you hit the wedge collar, you are basically FUCT. I know because I did it and had to remove the tranny after I finally got it in place. Luckily I was able to save the wedge collar from being completely destroyed. I also get to spend next spring cringing everytime I shift at the track, afraid of my throw out bearing popping off.

LINE UP THE TRANNY PERFECTLY OR YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My rant is now over.......

Also the clutch is awesome, when you engage it, you freaking know it the joker grabs hard as hell. A little noisey while disengaged nothing annoying to though. I did have a little vibration in the clutch peddle but it went away after 10 min of driving.

Thanks for reading,
A battered and bruised EVO mechanic
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel your pain bro. The first time I did my clutch, I think it took 2 hrs just to get the wedge collor off! But i dropped the supframe when I pulled the tranny off so that made installing it very easy.

Enjoy the clutch
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 313 Likes on 127 Posts
what exactly do you mean by the Wedge collar?
it might know it as something else
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

The throw out bearing retaining collar on the pressure plate.

Also I didn't remove the K member
Old Jan 4, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Get the clutch fork stopper so you don't have to worry about popping the clip off.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.turbotrix.com/ttrmaclfoste.html
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

That is brillant!!!! I am ordering one, its such a sh*ty feeling when that clip breaks.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We also offer the fork stop.

It can be found here
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...drivetrain.htm

-Em
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
definitely get the fork stop..... and i did my trans like 3-4 times with my exedy so far and last time i did it the wedge collar popped off like you said and i had to drop trans and redo it.. i was super pissed. evo transmissions SUCK to mount.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Remy
I feel your pain bro. The first time I did my clutch, I think it took 2 hrs just to get the wedge collor off! But i dropped the supframe when I pulled the tranny off so that made installing it very easy.

Enjoy the clutch
dropped a subframe.. jesus.. thats more work. next time get a engine hoist and wrap a chain around 2 of the 4 studs that stick out of trans, once u do that it slides right in everytime.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

I actually don't think that I need that fork stop device. I was contemplating buying it before I did the install, but after I became intimate with that pull out TOB crap. I had a thought, tell me what you guys think:

I think that the cause of the TOB's popping off has to do with the pressure plate returning more slowly than the fork springs. Not just over return. With that said I am not calling the fork stop useless I believe that it does work to a certain degree but only if the clutch isn't adjusted correctly. In thoery if the slave has sufficient preload on the fork this shouldn't happen. I sprayed dry lubricant on the input shaft and I put anti seize on the TOB's sliding shaft in order to speed up pressure plate return and slow down fork return.

Any thoughts?? Or am I a dummy??
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by C130flyer
I actually don't think that I need that fork stop device. I was contemplating buying it before I did the install, but after I became intimate with that pull out TOB crap. I had a thought, tell me what you guys think:

I think that the cause of the TOB's popping off has to do with the pressure plate returning more slowly than the fork springs. Not just over return. With that said I am not calling the fork stop useless I believe that it does work to a certain degree but only if the clutch isn't adjusted correctly. In thoery if the slave has sufficient preload on the fork this shouldn't happen. I sprayed dry lubricant on the input shaft and I put anti seize on the TOB's sliding shaft in order to speed up pressure plate return and slow down fork return.

Any thoughts?? Or am I a dummy??

What actually happens is the pressure plate returns so fast it slams into the engaged position and the fork keeps moving from the momentum causing the clip to go into the release position and pop. What you want to pressure plate to do is return as fast as possible so it doesn't slip into the next gear.

-Em
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Those clutch stops are hella overpriced. I'm JJ and that is my opinion.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

yah gotta pay to play though. unless you can make your own, I find it cheap insurance versus paying a shop to reinstall that clip.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

I have a Full Service Machine shop under contract so I think I'll just have one made. LOL

seriously not a j/k...... lol

Quick Reply: Exedy Twin went in today!!! It wasn't fun