Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Searched but had no luck, Cold Starting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Searched but had no luck, Cold Starting

On e85 for my second winter and I can’t seem to find out why it won’t start. My first winter got just as cold and it usually cranked up within the first 3 cranks no problem even on my tiny odyssey battery. Just lately after I switched to a nine turbo and went royal purple on the oil 5w30 rather than eneos 0w50 my car won’t crank for **** in any degree at 0 or below. When it warms up at noon it seems to start okay. Sometimes when I start it I have to hold the gas all the way down and it stutters and feels like it’s fighting it for a minute last time 3 minutes before it revved about 2000 rpms and started. I had a retune on the nine turbo and my tuner says my cold start settings are fine. So I bought an oil pan heater pad and left it plugged in at night and it definitely helped. Started up in the second crank the next morning. Any ideas on what it could be. All my searches have come out to cold start settings that I’m unfamiliar with.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Illl
On e85 for my second winter and I can’t seem to find out why it won’t start. My first winter got just as cold and it usually cranked up within the first 3 cranks no problem even on my tiny odyssey battery. Just lately after I switched to a nine turbo and went royal purple on the oil 5w30 rather than eneos 0w50 my car won’t crank for **** in any degree at 0 or below. When it warms up at noon it seems to start okay. Sometimes when I start it I have to hold the gas all the way down and it stutters and feels like it’s fighting it for a minute last time 3 minutes before it revved about 2000 rpms and started. I had a retune on the nine turbo and my tuner says my cold start settings are fine. So I bought an oil pan heater pad and left it plugged in at night and it definitely helped. Started up in the second crank the next morning. Any ideas on what it could be. All my searches have come out to cold start settings that I’m unfamiliar with.
it is also possible that it's not your car but instead the fuel source.. extra gas is added to make E85 more winter friendly (E70 or 75) but it's just dumped on top of what's in the tank already.. so if sales were slower this year they may have dumped in the winter on top of summer blend and made something with higher ethanol content, which in turn won't start as well.. have you gone to more than one station?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve been to one other gas station. Now that you mention it I had a harder time starting it when I pumped at a first stop rather than a western convenience. But all my stations here have e70 min I’ve heard of e85 min but never seen one. Hmm