Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

anyone use red line tranny lube?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2003, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone use red line tranny lube?

i have mobil 1 full synthetic gear lube in my tranny now. im not liking it because the shifting is getting notchy. the sincros are still good, but i could tell a dramatic drop in shifting performance when i changed lubes. i used red line gear oil in my twin turbo stealth and it made shifting feel like silk. also, red line was bad on aftermarket sincros in stealths/vr4's, because it ate 'kormex' sincros. is there a chance it may do the same with the evo? is anyone running red line in their evo? what is you opinion on the best tranny lube? what weight?

also, what is the best mix for transfer case lube?

thanks,
Andy V.
Old Oct 27, 2003, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

do a search under redline or fluid and you will find many users that are using redline.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 05:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I used Redline MT-90 in my tranny and the 75W-90 gear lube in my transfer case and rear diff. Everything seems super smooth right now. Love it.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Re: anyone use red line tranny lube?

Originally posted by rt turbo
i have mobil 1 full synthetic gear lube in my tranny now. im not liking it because the shifting is getting notchy. the sincros are still good, but i could tell a dramatic drop in shifting performance when i changed lubes. i used red line gear oil in my twin turbo stealth and it made shifting feel like silk. also, red line was bad on aftermarket sincros in stealths/vr4's, because it ate 'kormex' sincros. is there a chance it may do the same with the evo? is anyone running red line in their evo? what is you opinion on the best tranny lube? what weight?

also, what is the best mix for transfer case lube?

thanks,
Andy V.
You have to be carefull with synthetics in the tranny. See the Sincros require a little friction to work and not to ware out to quickly. Redline MT90 has a friction element added to it for Sincro Mesh trannys.

I learned the hard way with my WRX I used NS because I have a open diff and my main shaft pitted because the Sincro could not spin up fast enough. It was my fult completely but the dealer was nice enough to replace the tranny.

Not all Fuilds are equel.

For the EVO MT90 tranny fuild or stick with stock Fuild.

Eric
Old Oct 28, 2003, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Mobil 1 gear oil is rated GL-5 and is probably eating up your synchros. GL-4 belongs in tranny not GL-5.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

ROYAL PURPLE ALL THE WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info guys. i just ordered 4 quarts of red line mt90 and 1 quart of shockproof heavy for the transfer case. im not going to drive my car at all until i get the fluids changed

also, i only had it in the car under 2 months... is it likely that the sincros could be damaged? i have noticed a decline in shifting smoothness, will it stay that way, or is it likely it will shift easier with the mt90?

thanks again for your help,
Andy V.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rt turbo
thanks for the info guys. i just ordered 4 quarts of red line mt90 and 1 quart of shockproof heavy for the transfer case. im not going to drive my car at all until i get the fluids changed

also, i only had it in the car under 2 months... is it likely that the sincros could be damaged? i have noticed a decline in shifting smoothness, will it stay that way, or is it likely it will shift easier with the mt90?

Andy V.
[/QUOTE

Hard to tell until you switch. Why are you using shock proof?? and not 75w90???

Eric
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Redline...
Old Oct 28, 2003, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

GM Syncro mesh,, rocks
Old Oct 28, 2003, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eric Lyublinsky

Andy V.
[/QUOTE

Hard to tell until you switch. Why are you using shock proof?? and not 75w90???

Eric
i used to own a awd stealth tt. thats what everyone uses in their 3s trans cases. is the 75w90 better?
Old Oct 29, 2003, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

i used to own a awd stealth tt. thats what everyone uses in their 3s trans cases. is the 75w90 better?
I don't know enough about shock proof to comment. I will do some reading. But I will say 75w90 is what calls for. Make sure you don't get the NS. NS is for cars with out limited slips.

FYI
Eric
Old Oct 29, 2003, 07:49 AM

I have been running a GSX for about 5 years now and have always used BG Syncorshift in the tranny, Redline shock proof in the x-fer case and rear diff and have had no problems at all. This is with some 5500 dump launches at the track on the BIG16g turbo.

I personally like both products, is anoyone else running the shock proof and BG? If so, what do you guys think.

Hope I didn't jack your thread.