Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch engagement

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch engagement

OK so my problem has been not as bad as it has before(i don't think) but i've replaced my clutch twice, both times with a 6 puck and it seems like when im going WOT to redline and shift fast as soon as i shift and let the clutch out it jerks me forward hard, then gets then power going again. I had just put an intake on my car as well, and i think its gotten even worse. My mods are TBE, BOV, 6 puck clutch, tune(21psi) and just a k&n filter(stock intake tube).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Jerks as in you feel like some one kicked your back seat?

Kick in back seat feeling = rear diff slap and normal on our cars. Basically the rear differential bushings are soft and with fast shifts it bounces and hits the underbody in which you feel.

If its something else can you be a little more descriptive if possible?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 08:15 PM

Yea as if someone kicked the back of my seat, or as if i try to slow down by downshifting. And it doesnt just jerk me like that but takes a second to get the power going again. Kills me whenever i try to race and it makes me look like i dont know how to drive a stick shift! btw this didn't happen before i got the clutch, or before i got the tune, although i started noticing it i believe after i got the tune.

Last edited by 8-BallEvo; Jan 9, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
It sounds to me like your are letting your clutch out in a manner thats initially too quick causing the sudden jerk followed by the engine bogging aka falling out of boost. Maybe you could post a video and we could diagnose the issue better.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 8-BallEvo
Yea as if someone kicked the back of my seat, or as if i try to slow down by downshifting. And it doesnt just jerk me like that but takes a second to get the power going again. Kills me whenever i try to race and it makes me look like i dont know how to drive a stick shift! btw this didn't happen before i got the clutch, or before i got the tune, although i started noticing it i believe after i got the tune.
Diff slap also happens in complete stock form.

But with what your experiencing, your car also loses power for a moment? Diff slap wont cause hesitation or power loss. Your car is deffinately having diff slap for the kick in the seat fealing, but something else unrelated is causing the power loss/hesitation.

Do your rpms climb ever so slightly then fall slightly after the "quick shift" ?

Are you WOT shifting? (never lifting accel pedal during shifts)
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:47 AM

ill never leave my foot down when i shift i always left off the gas then stomp on it again the same time i let the clutch out. IIt kinda feels like the clutch engages so hard that it makes the engine hesistate for a second then kicks in. I dont get why itd do that other then chirp the front wheels a bit thought? and BTW ill get a video tomorrow for sure let u guys see whats going on. and it feels like you downshift to 2nd when ur redlining it in 4th. Is that a little better explination?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 01:50 AM

I would look into your tune. Try going back to your tuner to see if theres something on the map in that portion causing it to bog, that plus the rear diff slap sounds like a combined problem. Your motor is trying to go one direction, and then u are gettingthe diff movement then the bogging all at once.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:29 PM

Well when he drove it when we were tunning it, he could chirp it into 2nd, just one time though, ever since then i couldnt even come close. Do you think putting the intake filter without tunning it after could also be a factor?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

I would check for a boost leak maybe associated with the intake manifold change.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:51 PM

no no no, i havn't changed the intake manifold, i just changed the intake filter thats all. Stock intake tube. but anyway heres a quick video i made of me going 1-4 gears, and u can kinda tell the hisitation with me going from 2nd to 3rd gear. Note that my shifts were perfect and all i did was shift and drop the clutch while going WOT. If you can tell, there is the rear diff push as other people have noted, but the hesistation for the car to get back on the power is there and u can hear the turbo spool for a quick second, stop, then get on it again. Kinda confusing i know, but try for me please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLxpn0O5yXI
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:57 AM

Bump
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
What kind of BOV is that? It assume you are venting it to the atmosphere? If so every time you shift you AFR's will become very rich. That could be why the car almost stalls for a second.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 06:42 PM

It's not that it stalls it just hesitates. I have the HKS SSQV with no recirc but I've had it on since before the tune and before it didn't do it.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 05:31 PM

Is there an odd chance that it could be my timing belt at all? I havn't changed it yet and im at 63k miles. I think i can hear it if i get close??