Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shepherd Racing Rebuilt Evo Tranny In!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2003, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Speedlimit
One other comment concerning John Shepard.

He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet at the track. During race day, you will find John under other peoples cars replacing parts and tuning. Plus, he consistently has one of the fastest 4G63's in street class in the world.

Speedlimt...
One of the fastest street DSMs!? Who's faster? No one in a street car. Although there are some really fast guys coming closer (Curt Brown comes to mind).

I'd just like to add to the gushing about Shep. He is one othe nicest guys in the racing world. Considering what he has accomplished (almost all by himself), he could be really full of himself. He is not at all and the guy builds amazing trannys and engines. When mine needs it he will be the first guy I speak to.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 07:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by AvatarOfWar

Sorry for being touchy dude; yeah - Al can be a ***** at times, but I think he means well

I have NEVER worked with a expert like John before... he is completely humble about his accomplishments, genuinely wants your business and to help you succeed. Top that off with the fact that you've got a guy who knows every damned thing about Mitsu trannies and has unbelievable prices - and you've got a winner!
As for my comment about Al, it was pretty light hearted...

As for John, I'm going to have to look in to his services. Most people never see the first year of mods on my cars... and they have never seen my cars break either
Old Nov 1, 2003, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by AvatarOfWar
In response to all the questions I can remember -

EvoJimbo / Zeus - It cost me $1000, just as it would anyone else on this board. I'm not friends with John Shepherd, nor an associate of any kind. I meerly went to him on reputation alone - and it paid off. I don't get the rolleyes thing Zeus, I'm merely trying to help out other people who break their trannys. I don't make money at this sport like Buschur, AMS, or even Al now. I break my ****, and tell you what I did. I have zero sponsors, zero groupies, and zero parts deals.

is that 1000 including the tear down? have you seen this thread :https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=47355 . this guy is saying the same thing you just did but he claims there is ganna be a recall. this is all interesting stuff.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 10:36 AM

does any one know any info on the the sequential tranny that hks has
Old Mar 17, 2005, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rt turbo
is that 1000 including the tear down? have you seen this thread :https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=47355 . this guy is saying the same thing you just did but he claims there is ganna be a recall. this is all interesting stuff.
I can't access that thread - anyone else have trouble accessing it or can refer me to an archive? Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

I called Shepherd racing today for some advice on some wierd sounds coming from my car and the person who ansered the phone was kind of rude and did not give me any kind of help I will continue to call John from TRE b/c at least he offers help and solutions to what problems may be concering my car. I rather take my business to TRE
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

I bought Avatarofwar's car and just wanted to say that the tranny has 32k miles on it now and doesn't give me a bit of trouble. I also called Shep once to ask him some questions and got a polite and detailed response about some questions I had with the job he did on the tranny. Top notch guy as far as I am concerned.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i dunno about this bad talk of TRE, I talked to Jon on the phone the other day about doing some work on my tranny and he was nothing but nice and informative to me. I don't see where you get your beef with him not wanting to do DSM trannies, he's done over 2,000 DSM transmissions and has been working on them since the 80s. Not to mention i've heard nothing but good things about them, aside from this one post.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

what was the problem with this tranny in the first place? when you say the output shaft hit in first gear under load, that means? sorry i dont understand. but my tranny will "kick" the shifter when shifting from first to second under certain throttle conditions. so when shifting out of first it feels like the shifter gets "kicked" or hits on something. is this the same shim problem mentioned?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 01:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AvatarOfWar
My tranny finally went back in last night - as some of you will remember, I grenaded the front differential on a high rpm launch and after replacing it I heard a LOT of deceleration whine in first gear.

I sent my transmission to be built by the DSM tranny god, John Shepherd of Shepherd Raing. What he discovered is that my output shaft had been improperly clearanced from the factory, which allowed for 1st gear to hit it under load. John also owns and Evo, which he tore down and found that his shim was also off factory specification by .010". Ours our probably NOT the only Evo trannies out there with incorrect clearancing from the factory, and this will probably turn into a problem down the road for others. He indicated that factory spec also calls for .005" to .007" of preload, but mine had .005" completely cold and MUCH more than that when warm.

All in all, he replaced my input shaft, 1st gear, ring gear, 2nd gear synchro assembly (I had some grinds on the stock clutch) and ALL synchro springs. I can not describe how unbelievable my transmission feels now. My service tech also noticed it on the first drive, and we tested a stock Evo for comparison. My transmission feels positive and firm, and all shifts go in with perfect feedback. It feels like a Porsche 911 tranny I played with once.

He turned my tranny back around to me in less than a week and corrected several factory weaknesses he identified... and he did it for $2000 less than Mitsubishi wanted to charge me for a new transmission.

I will post some pics tonight.

www.shepracing.com
I have a shep trans also and I love it! I can't even drive anyone else's evo cause it just doesn't feel the same. My shifts are so smooth and easy compared to what they used to be. It's probably one of the best upgrades I've gotten to the car period.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

my tranny too whines in 1st gear durring deceleration. i already have the box to ship the tranny off to shep. i just gotta save for about amonth for the funds. thats good to hear makes me wanna get a rebuid even more.