Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

problem with shifting (hard) Please help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:56 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by detroit pistins
what kind of short shifter did u put in?
b&m
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin.
b&m
same one iam using, the only chopiness i see and sometimes its tough to get into gear with is my 2nd gear, however, this shifter made my 3rd gear shifts very smooth. i put back the oem shifter for a comparison, and my 2nd gear was smooth however my 3rd started being chopy again. iam waitting on a perrin shifter to arrive where its adjustable, and i will do a write up on both. hopefuly that will fix the issue.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:06 PM

same one iam using, the only chopiness i see and sometimes its tough to get into gear with is my 2nd gear, however, this shifter made my 3rd gear shifts very smooth. i put back the oem shifter for a comparison, and my 2nd gear was smooth however my 3rd started being chopy again. iam waitting on a perrin shifter to arrive where its adjustable, and i will do a write up on both. hopefuly that will fix the issue.
Do you get like a little notchy grind when going into gear? Like it doesn't go smooth but its hitting something before it goes in? Thats what I get.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont wanna go off topic here. but why do u think i was having an issue shifting when i had my amsoil in it? keep in mind i had this issue even when the car/tranny oil was warm.

buschur does state what ur saying as well that it is a fwd tranny oil, but he also notes that it should be used in the evo trannys. it woudl be great to have him chim in on this as well.

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...05d2c05348511c
Are you sure you used 75-90 GL4 MTG amsoil? Nobody around me even carries GL4 they all think that GL5 is better and they'll try to sell you that but the evo trans needs GL4's slight drag to make the syncros work properly.

I had GL5 75-90 amsoil in there just to get back on the road after a clutch change for lack of any better alternatives at the local stores and it shifted like crap. Very notchy like you describe and worse the colder it got.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Do you get like a little notchy grind when going into gear? Like it doesn't go smooth but its hitting something before it goes in? Thats what I get.
exactly! especialy in 2nd gear.
2nd to 3rd is fine
3rd to 4t is fine
4th to 5th it somtimes doesnt feel right but for the most time its good.

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
Are you sure you used 75-90 GL4 MTG amsoil? Nobody around me even carries GL4 they all think that GL5 is better and they'll try to sell you that but the evo trans needs GL4's slight drag to make the syncros work properly.

I had GL5 75-90 amsoil in there just to get back on the road after a clutch change for lack of any better alternatives at the local stores and it shifted like crap. Very notchy like you describe and worse the colder it got.
ya i made sure it was the 75w90 gl4, i did my research on the whole gl4 vs gl5, but unfortunatly it didnt work out for me well. one thing i could think of is either i poured in too much or too lil, but i used the same method when i changed to other oils and it worked well with the others.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:40 AM

amsoil svg did you use?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
i'm using 2ltr Motul 75w90 and 2ltr of Motul 75W140.

Whats the best fast shifting oil?
I want something i can slam through the gears for drag racing.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

amsoil svg did you use?
svg? not sure if iam familiar with this. but i used the recommended by everyone 75w90 gl4
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am personally not a fan of bg fluid. I change my tranny fluid every 5000 miles. I have used bg syncroshift, Redline MT 90 and amsoil MTG. With bg, the drain plug would be covered in metal bits to the point where you could not even see the magnet. With Redline MT90 , there was much less metal flakes and the magnet can be seen. With amsoil there would be so little metal bits on the magnet that you wouldn't even need to wipe it off when changing the fluid. I stuck with Amsoil for that reason. You can see how well it protects the gears.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:37 AM

I would blame the shifter.. my shifts do too differ on the day.. sometimes they will grind, sometimes they will be smooth.. absolutely not the smoothest shifter..
but I would also say fluid plays a big part.. make sure the pedal adjustments are set too
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:35 AM

svg? not sure if iam familiar with this. but i used the recommended by everyone 75w90 gl4
Severe Gear Oil 75W-90
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Severe Gear Oil 75W-90
You used SVG for the the tranny or tcase? I have only used MTG which is the recommended fluid for the tranny.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will state my story ... I recently put in Amsoil MTG in my 5 speed (Evo 9) and in the cold temps (30 or below) it is IMPOSSIBLE to put the car in any gear. I need to warm it up for at least 5 minutes for it to engage into any gear. Once the car is warmed up it's a little notchy and when totally hot it goes in every gear like butter. But this is BS.

I am going back to stock fluid. I will repeat, Amsoil MTG does NOT work well in colder climates. I wish I would've read this kind of info before wasting $$ on Amsoil.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Taimur
I will state my story ... I recently put in Amsoil MTG in my 5 speed (Evo 9) and in the cold temps (30 or below) it is IMPOSSIBLE to put the car in any gear. I need to warm it up for at least 5 minutes for it to engage into any gear. Once the car is warmed up it's a little notchy and when totally hot it goes in every gear like butter. But this is BS.

I am going back to stock fluid. I will repeat, Amsoil MTG does NOT work well in colder climates. I wish I would've read this kind of info before wasting $$ on Amsoil.
this is exactly what I experienced as well. I switched to bg and it was a night and day diff.
gl!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by rcheung
You used SVG for the the tranny or tcase? I have only used MTG which is the recommended fluid for the tranny.
tcase and diff

Quick Reply: problem with shifting (hard) Please help