Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

problem with shifting (hard) Please help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem with shifting (hard) Please help

as the days and temperature have dropped i have notice that is gets more difficult to shift the car into first gear . From a standstill shifting to first is near impossible even when the car has been running (driving) for a while. Also i have notice that the acd reservoir level differs by a large margin . when car is cold the level is pass the max line by half an inch when its warm is below the minimum line. I know there is suppose to be 2 different reading when checking this but the difference in level has me worried. When i shift to first without letting the car come to a complete stop( slowing down and shifting just before the car come to stop) it will shift ok. The car had the transmission fluid changed . This has been happening way before the fluid was change. is this symptoms of the clutch not engaging and not letting me shift? please help

thanks in advance

Last edited by boostedscooby 5; Jan 14, 2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: acd reservoir not clutch
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps you have a high moisture content in your fluid and it needs changed. You can obtain test strips to determine moisture content if you wish. Pristine brake fluid shouldn't expand in cold temperatures but water sure does.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
When you say the clutch fluid, are you actually referring to the ACD reservoir which is the red fluid right behind the driver's side headlight? That fluid level is supposed to change that drastically and will go below the low mark when hot.

What kind of fluid did you put into your transmission?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
When you say the clutch fluid, are you actually referring to the ACD reservoir which is the red fluid right behind the driver's side headlight? That fluid level is supposed to change that drastically and will go below the low mark when hot.

What kind of fluid did you put into your transmission?
oem fluid done at a shop i believe it was
75w85 gl oil but the car was acting up even before the transmission fluid change .
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Answer my first question too. Which reservoir are you looking at and referring to as clutch fluid?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Clutch Fluid i thought was up top.. That is the ACD Fluid reservoir you are talking about. Clutch/Brake Fluid is that round one at the top by the windshield drivers side
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Answer my first question too. Which reservoir are you looking at and referring to as clutch fluid?
yes that reservoir with the red fluid behind the driver side headlight .

am sorry i got a little confused. The clutch reservoir is at max level with no problem. The reservoir that i was referring to is the acd reservoir with the red fluid. I was concern about the level moving up and down so drastically . My worries are still with the hard to shift problem on a 2006 evo 9 .

Last edited by boostedscooby 5; Jan 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedscooby 5
yes that reservoir with the red fluid behind the driver side headlight .

am sorry i got a little confused. The clutch reservoir is at max level with no problem. The reservoir that i was referring to is the acd reservoir with the red fluid. I was concern about the level moving up and down so drastically . My worries are still with the hard to shift problem on a 2006 evo 9 .
Might be air in the line. And you have to use special fluid for the ACD res.
Did you try and bleed the line? Adjust clutch pedal?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedscooby 5
as the days and temperature have dropped i have notice that is gets more difficult to shift the car into first gear . From a standstill shifting to first is near impossible even when the car has been running (driving) for a while. Also i have notice that the acd reservoir level differs by a large margin . when car is cold the level is pass the max line by half an inch when its warm is below the minimum line. I know there is suppose to be 2 different reading when checking this but the difference in level has me worried. When i shift to first without letting the car come to a complete stop( slowing down and shifting just before the car come to stop) it will shift ok. The car had the transmission fluid changed . This has been happening way before the fluid was change. is this symptoms of the clutch not engaging and not letting me shift? please help

thanks in advance

I had similiar issues when i changed my tranny oil to amsoil, so i switched back to bg synchroshift (75w80) and my shifts became alot smoother when cold. after a 10 mins warm it becomes even more smoother.

with regards to acd reservoir, when the car is shut off for few mins, all teh oil in the system gets pumped back to the reservoir (or atleast some of it), thus, when u turn on the car, after few secs, the reservoir level should drop a bit (1/2'').

however, if ur adding fluid to acd reservoir and still noticing these drastic drops. then u might have a leak somewhere. if u dont see anything on the ground, then its probably within the tc.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Cold temp makes all metal base mechanisms hard to work, all parts are working by traction because cold make them smaller. in hot temperatures parts are working by pressure, not traction, under smaller forces they release faster.
Warm your car in cold days for 5-10 min before clutch it.
Every time that I rush her warming, I had the holly grouchy shifting all the way.
Other days, no mater what, she needs bad manners, to get warm, I hit the gas to the bottom couple of times, couple of hard shift and she immediately get hot.

lol
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by detroit pistins
I had similiar issues when i changed my tranny oil to amsoil, so i switched back to bg synchroshift (75w80) and my shifts became alot smoother when cold. after a 10 mins warm it becomes even more smoother.

yeahh it will be smoother with BG but the big mistake here is that your gears are not getting the propper lubricity with BG,,, you need a tru gear lube regardless if its AMSOIL or OEM but deff is not BG,,,, BG is great for syncros or tranny's on the hondas with 90 FWHP

usually these are the trannys that tranny builders see more often the ones that run the syncro smooth fluids.

you need a balance bro, there are 3 types of fluids out there the BG like that will be great for shifting at 30K ,,, and the heavy gear lubes like MT90 that will not let you shift worth of crap and then the AMSOIL's and OEM's that will give you best of both worlds good shifting and good gear cushion.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

i dont wanna go off topic here. but why do u think i was having an issue shifting when i had my amsoil in it? keep in mind i had this issue even when the car/tranny oil was warm.

buschur does state what ur saying as well that it is a fwd tranny oil, but he also notes that it should be used in the evo trannys. it woudl be great to have him chim in on this as well.

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...05d2c05348511c
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:44 PM

Have the same problem with my 2003. Started getting hard to shift into 1st when at a stop, and sometimes downshifting at low speeds. Does it on both the factory lube and with BG synchro shift. It does get better as she warms up, would like to know what is causing it. In my case it is probably the high mileage (82k) on a stock clutch.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:50 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by alex3dworld
Cold temp makes all metal base mechanisms hard to work, all parts are working by traction because cold make them smaller. in hot temperatures parts are working by pressure, not traction, under smaller forces they release faster.
Warm your car in cold days for 5-10 min before clutch it.
Every time that I rush her warming, I had the holly grouchy shifting all the way.
Other days, no mater what, she needs bad manners, to get warm, I hit the gas to the bottom couple of times, couple of hard shift and she immediately get hot.

lol
Originally Posted by messmith
Have the same problem with my 2003. Started getting hard to shift into 1st when at a stop, and sometimes downshifting at low speeds. Does it on both the factory lube and with BG synchro shift. It does get better as she warms up, would like to know what is causing it. In my case it is probably the high mileage (82k) on a stock clutch.
Funny my car is an 03 with the same mileage and I'm having the same problems with cold driving. I just put in shifter base bushings and a short shifter and the problem is still here. I honestly think its a problem with the clutch being too worn down.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

what kind of short shifter did u put in?

Quick Reply: problem with shifting (hard) Please help