Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Holset powered Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tvieira24
This.

I'd scrap that manifold, find one that positions the turbo closer to the drivers side and one flanged for the twin scroll and get a larger better flowing o2 housing. That o2 housing is going to be a huge flow restriction as well as the turbine inlet.
if you read my response to this you wouldve seen that it does not in any way keep the wrinkled portion of the exhaust it was just a mock up and the wrinkled part was cut off just not pictured thank you
Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMpsi

The 8 blade hx40 does not flow 72lbs, they also dont have vband exhaust housings. Unless this is some sort of modified one I wouldn't trust it, especially from eBay.
yeah i agree i wouldnt trust a new one like that from ebay, i found a used one on ebay that was local so i could check it out... and my hx35 had a vband exhaust flange so idk why the 40 wouldnt?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evokid511
if you read my response to this you wouldve seen that it does not in any way keep the wrinkled portion of the exhaust it was just a mock up and the wrinkled part was cut off just not pictured thank you
Got ya, missed that part.

There are quite a few Holset knock offs floating around on ebay.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent job, I'm really happy to see more and more of these turbos making to the Evo world now. They're still a pretty much unknown turbo to the average Evo owner who never had a DSM/Honda, but the potential from them is phenomenal for the price.

I actually have a Holset build as well coming up soon, should be very interesting to see once I have all the necessary little pieces in order. I have a slightly different turbo though, the HE351CW which is a T3 9cm^2 open housing, HX40 7 blade compressor wheel, and a 4" V-band exhaust. I'll be using it on a sidemount/topmount equal length manifold with a 38mm Tial wastgate and 1000cc injectors. From everything I've seen and from the very few compressor maps available it looks to flow around 68lb/min. The DSMtuners Holset threads have some great information about these turbos on there, any quick search will bring it up.
Most HX35's that I've seen are said to flow a bit more than a 50trim, somewhere in the neighborhood of 53-55lb/min depending on the compressor wheel (6 blade, 7 blade, 8 blade). They're a great bang for the buck ranging anywhere from $150-400 depending on size and condition. Many DSM guys now are using the HX35 exhaust wheel and 12cm twin scroll housing with the HX40 compressor to make well into the 550awhp range while still having full spool by no later than 4000rpm.

Subscribed!
Old Jan 30, 2010, 05:22 AM

yeah i agree i wouldnt trust a new one like that from ebay, i found a used one on ebay that was local so i could check it out... and my hx35 had a vband exhaust flange so idk why the 40 wouldnt?
Sorry, I thought you ment exhaust outlet, my hx40 came with a weird flange, plus it had internal wastegate. Anyways, heres my holset that is currently on my DSM. I have a hx40 with the .70A/R T3 housing

Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvieira24
Got ya, missed that part.

There are quite a few Holset knock offs floating around on ebay.
yesssss there are so many i almost made the mistake of buying one also till was told about them haha
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slo_crx1
Excellent job, I'm really happy to see more and more of these turbos making to the Evo world now. They're still a pretty much unknown turbo to the average Evo owner who never had a DSM/Honda, but the potential from them is phenomenal for the price.

I actually have a Holset build as well coming up soon, should be very interesting to see once I have all the necessary little pieces in order. I have a slightly different turbo though, the HE351CW which is a T3 9cm^2 open housing, HX40 7 blade compressor wheel, and a 4" V-band exhaust. I'll be using it on a sidemount/topmount equal length manifold with a 38mm Tial wastgate and 1000cc injectors. From everything I've seen and from the very few compressor maps available it looks to flow around 68lb/min. The DSMtuners Holset threads have some great information about these turbos on there, any quick search will bring it up.
Most HX35's that I've seen are said to flow a bit more than a 50trim, somewhere in the neighborhood of 53-55lb/min depending on the compressor wheel (6 blade, 7 blade, 8 blade). They're a great bang for the buck ranging anywhere from $150-400 depending on size and condition. Many DSM guys now are using the HX35 exhaust wheel and 12cm twin scroll housing with the HX40 compressor to make well into the 550awhp range while still having full spool by no later than 4000rpm.

Subscribed!
oo thats awesome someone else doing it also we gotta get more evos to do this... i spent all together like 600-700 bucks for everything to get this put on including the turbo so you cant beat the price... im excited to see how your set up does with the top mount mani that should be nice! and when time come i plan to switch mine out for the hx40 and make some bigger power.... you going ot be on 93 or e85?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry, I thought you ment exhaust outlet, my hx40 came with a weird flange, plus it had internal wastegate. Anyways, heres my holset that is currently on my DSM. I have a hx40 with the .70A/R T3 housing
nice pics! thats a biggggg turbo haha ill be there one day! but did you keep the internal wastegate?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oo thats awesome someone else doing it also we gotta get more evos to do this... i spent all together like 600-700 bucks for everything to get this put on including the turbo so you cant beat the price... im excited to see how your set up does with the top mount mani that should be nice! and when time come i plan to switch mine out for the hx40 and make some bigger power.... you going ot be on 93 or e85?
I'm going to run 93 octane, probably shooting for at least 25psi depending on how it reacts. I'm going to tune it with EcuFlash to make good use of my Speed Density conversion on the stock ecu, and I have the ability for dual maps in the rom I use so I might even add water/meth to the mix too. Shame I didn't have a built motor, I'd see what I could crank it out to lol.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slo_crx1
I'm going to run 93 octane, probably shooting for at least 25psi depending on how it reacts. I'm going to tune it with EcuFlash to make good use of my Speed Density conversion on the stock ecu, and I have the ability for dual maps in the rom I use so I might even add water/meth to the mix too. Shame I didn't have a built motor, I'd see what I could crank it out to lol.
nice! im gonna be on e85 so im hoping for just under 500 but we'll see, got a few little things to fix before the tune and need some bigger injectors
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:45 AM

nice pics! thats a biggggg turbo haha ill be there one day! but did you keep the internal wastegate?
Nope, the wastegate is external. TiAL 44mm
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

That turbo isnt going to last long not using a restrictor. Also the -10 return is a bit small....
Looks good tho

You talking about Milt?
Yes sir I'm talking about milt.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Nope, the wastegate is external. TiAL 44mm
nice! im running a 38mm on mine but my step up to a 44mm soon
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
Yes sir I'm talking about milt.
Milts a great guy, Ive met him at a couple of local DSM meets.
nice! im running a 38mm on mine but my step up to a 44mm soon
Awesome , you'll enjoy it.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Milts a great guy, Ive met him at a couple of local DSM meets.

Awesome , you'll enjoy it.
yeah its coming along nicely now cant wait for it to be 100%

Quick Reply: Holset powered Evo IX