Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

why dont too many people use 4/6-puck clutch's

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why dont too many people use 4/6-puck clutch's

if you scroll down on this page:

http://www.maperformance.com/fidanza...h-kit-evo.html

you will see the guys from fidanza talking about "what clutch is right for me". the question i have is how come more people arent using 4 and 6-puck clutch discs?

my uncle, who owns an autoshop told me that these style clutch discs (regardless of material used) fly apart and break all the time. the thing is, he is from the "old chevy V8 world" where cars had stupid amounts of torque.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because they Suck

Imo the reason people dont get it is because they give u a ridiculous hard pedal. Most dont want that on a Evo. So we pay the premium for the best parts on our cars.

Evo's aren't Honda's

Flame all you want people, its the truth
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never used one. But I have driven a car that had one. It was a turbo Civic Si, so whatever...

They are like light switches. This one had a light pedal but very quick sudden engagement. No fun in traffic at all. They also put a lot of stress on the driveline. Maybe its because a lot of Evo guys still like to drive on the street, and maybe the combination of AWD and this type of clutch could make possible damage more likely every launch.

I prefer the type of clutch that can be slipped a bit, then dropped for AWD launches, so I say no to pucks. If I had a drag only car and a the idea of replacing hard driveline parts every few funs are so didn't phase me, then maybe yeah I'd give them a shot.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

yea thats kinda what i was thinking. i had no idea you couldnt slip these things because ive never even heard of people using them.

my last evo had an exedy single plate HD, i liked that a lot (not the 3 puck crap, i mean the one that looks like the exedy twin, it was a full face disc)
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
i've got a properly setup 6puk clutch with non Biting material and a modified pressure plate (4500lb) that has stock pedal feel (modified pivot points).

It's very easy to drive, and easy to slip etc.

The material on the clutch plates is "FiberTuff" a Kevlar/carbon material.

Not all single plate setups are bad!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

to hard of a pedal? dont be a puss now.

it took me about a month to 100% get use to my Act 2600 with 6 puck sprung but i LOVE IT!
im like 400 wheel and got BF Goods KDW2's and i launch the crap outa my crap and she flys.

would def say get one!! also depends on your set up
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just put a fidanza 6puck in my car a couple weeks ago, it took a while to get used to, but I love it now. I think most people don't use them just because of their "driveability" which if you drive it for long enough your so used to it you don't even think about it.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:30 PM
Account Disabled

Not saying im a puss, u bought a 20k car buy what is best.. I have a quartermaster twin disc and i will out grip u any day and pedal feels stock

Originally Posted by still*boostn
to hard of a pedal? dont be a puss now.

it took me about a month to 100% get use to my Act 2600 with 6 puck sprung but i LOVE IT!
im like 400 wheel and got BF Goods KDW2's and i launch the crap outa my crap and she flys.

would def say get one!! also depends on your set up
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:32 PM
Account Disabled

this statement is true tho, you def get used to hard clutchs..

Eventually u forget that its even hard

Lol but it sux when u go drive someone elses car with stock clutch hah

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
I just put a fidanza 6puck in my car a couple weeks ago, it took a while to get used to, but I love it now. I think most people don't use them just because of their "driveability" which if you drive it for long enough your so used to it you don't even think about it.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evokid03
Not saying im a puss, u bought a 20k car buy what is best.. I have a quartermaster twin disc and i will out grip u any day and pedal feels stock
You're also paying way more and rebuilding the clutch more often. Quartermasters aren't known for their longetivity. In the time it takes you to buy the clutch and rebuild it once, he could've possibly bought and replaced it 2-3 times.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:04 PM
Account Disabled

i got 15k beating the crap out of my Quartermaster and it cost me 200 to replace plates lol??

I do my own labor
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had a ACT 6 puck unsprung clutch with a Fidanza flywheel in my car for 28k miles & I don't mind it at all...clutch pedal is actually softer then the ACT 2900 I had in my GSX...I hated my 6 puck for the 1st month till I got used to it...I DD my car also...
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread.

I have an 05 EVO 8, and I'm planning on running the ACT 6-puck unspring disc along with the ACT 10lb prolite flywheel. i also plan on reusing my ACT Xtreme pressure plate since my car is only a weekend car.

I was having second thoughts about putting the ACT 6-puck unsprung disc in, and leaving the ACT full faced disc in instead, but what do you guys think?

I occasionally drag race, but I know I could get used to it also.

How long is the break-in period for the 6-puck disc?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I have an ACT puck. I really don't think the clutch peddle feel that hard...i dunno i just got used to it. But with that being said, when i go up to a higher power level i'm upgrading to a twin disc.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Davethewave
my uncle, who owns an autoshop told me that these style clutch discs (regardless of material used) fly apart and break all the time. the thing is, he is from the "old chevy V8 world" where cars had stupid amounts of torque.

Yes, they do.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ag-passes.html

I've also owned a Fidanza 3.2

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...nza-3-2-a.html

Just sayin'

Quick Reply: why dont too many people use 4/6-puck clutch's