Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Issues ??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Issues ??

Hi All!

Picked up my first Evo (2003) just before christmas. It has an exedy stage 2 clutch that is of unknown age, guy I bought the car from pulled the clutch used from another car before it found its way to my 2003.

I seem to get very inconsistent clutch engagement....sometimes in 1st gear it seems to grip hard, other times it seems to slip a lot.

When shifting, 1 to 2, 2 to 3 especially...the motor will rev 1K RPM's sometimes before applying power....almost like the clutch isn't fully engaged. Sometimes this happens when i'm going down the road in 3rd or 4th and just step on the gas....I'll see the tac rev up 1K or more before I feel any power.

I'm going to check the pedal adjustment and make sure the master/slave are in good order....and I'm taking it to a buddy's shop on Monday to have him check it over

This being my 1st turbo car, i'm sure some of this is turbo lag, but I've done a lot of motorcycle riding and racing on and off road and this juuust doesn't feel quite right.

What are your thoughts about the symptoms?
IF it does turn out to be a clutch wear issue, should I rebuild the stage2 or get something bigger/badder?

Car mod list is here for reference: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...cent-mods.html

Thanks!!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

the clutch is on its way out. When the car is in 3rd or 4th or even 5th and you step on it, the clutch is under higher loads. When the rpms jump before the , as you state, "power kicks in" thats the clutch disk slipping....which means its about take a poo.

id start looking into a new clutch.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:03 PM

Yep, that was my thoughts too.....

Rebuild the exedy stage 2 or man up for something more....decisions decisions!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mattv
Yep, that was my thoughts too.....

Rebuild the exedy stage 2 or man up for something more....decisions decisions!
is the stage 2 even rebuildable?? i didnt think so...but i know the exedy twin and triple disk clutches are.

it all depends on what your hp/tq goals are and what you do with the car...Drag/autox/or just DD??
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:23 PM

I guess I thought it was just a matter of getting new clutch fibers and resurfacing if necessary, but obviously I have no idea WTH i'm talking about

I'm around 340 right now and have no other mods planned, mostly DD but I could see an autox here or there.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:15 AM

Update:

After research, found that the Exedy Stage II is indeed NOT rebuildable. Not really surprised there I guess.

Found a local shop that needed some IT work done, and they're getting me a brand new Exedy Twin for $750 and doing the labor in exchange for the work I did for them.