Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

how much low end do you loose?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2003, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much low end do you loose?

I am planning on changing my exhaust system to a full 3" from the turbo all the way back. I was wondering how much of a low end will I loose. I know I will get hell of a top end. should I just go from the cat. back? or 3" downpipe-stock cat.-RMR exhaust? or stock downpipe-3" cat.-RMR exhaust? How are you guys set?

thanks
Old Oct 29, 2003, 01:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldnt say ur going to lose low end.... IMO u will gain low end because a 3" exhaust should help the turbo spool faster and by doing that u will have more low end. Good luck.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

I cant say for everyone else but I have Buschur Racing 3" turbo back exhaust(test pipe) and beyond 3k rpm it just screams till red line. Under 3k rpm you can tell that it lost alittle low end grunt not by much. 3k rpm comes into play so damn fast its not even funny. Oh, also noticed that boost went up a notch(1.4bar instead of stock 1.3bar). I am amazed that with the test pipe in, it didnt throw a check engine light.

Thai
Old Oct 29, 2003, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GREDDY
I cant say for everyone else but I have Buschur Racing 3" turbo back exhaust(test pipe) and beyond 3k rpm it just screams till red line. Under 3k rpm you can tell that it lost alittle low end grunt not by much. 3k rpm comes into play so damn fast its not even funny. Oh, also noticed that boost went up a notch(1.4bar instead of stock 1.3bar). I am amazed that with the test pipe in, it didnt throw a check engine light.

Thai
After modding people usually feels that they lost low end because their cars feels much faster up top. Usually gains down low doesnt compare to gains in the top end and thats why u might feel that u lost low end. Thats just my 2 cent. All the cars i modded i felt the same until i saw the dyno sheet.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 02:15 AM
Evolved Member

That's true LSs1power, I guess the power is so smooth under 3krpm that it feels like you lost power but on an actual dyno you will see that you do gain power.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 02:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GREDDY
That's true LSs1power, I guess the power is so smooth under 3krpm that it feels like you lost power but on an actual dyno you will see that you do gain power.
yup, for example when i installed my cam i felt that my car was slower low end but on the dyno i didnt lose or gain anything until 4500RPM and after that i gained 46rwhp 40rwtq to 6400RPM. U can check the graph to see what i mean http://www.msnusers.com/CarsRelatedG...hoto&PhotoID=5 Thats why my car felt slower on the low end because it was basically the same until 4500RPM.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

did some of you guys noticed any stutter when shifting from 3-4 and 4-5 when you don't lift of the gas quick enough?
Old Nov 1, 2003, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

You don't lose low end on a turbo car from exhaust.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ItsStockOfficer
You don't lose low end on a turbo car from exhaust.
Well were losing something, you can feel the difference...do you have anything installed on your car? Maybe it takes more time for Turbo to spool up, but that doesn't make sense. Should be other way around, opening up exhaust should free up back pressure and spool faster.

I even thought after I even installed my Intake I lost something (felt a little slower at lower RPM), however with the full 3'' so much power top end is sweet. The only way to go IMO. Happy here with Buschur!!

Last edited by ChrisS.; Nov 1, 2003 at 06:00 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I love hearing people repeat the ever so simple concept bigger is better when it comes to the exhaust for a turbo car.

The statement is true for peak horsepower maybe. But it is completely not true for all around performance.

When I first built my yellow car it had a 2.3 liter with vpc and 2.75 downpipe only. Running a 57trim/stage3/48. It made 10psi at 4000 rpm and made 20psi by 4300rpm. i drove the car for three months or so with just the downpipe. When my ears couldn't stand it any longer I built a three inch exhaust for the car. To my pleasant surprise the car made 10psi at 3200rpm and 20psi by 3900rpm. These numbers are not an exaggeration.

I have a similiar story of massive torque loss on another car of mine switching from 2.5 to 3.0 exhaust. The resultant torque loss was extremely disappointing.