Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tomei ARMS??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone explain to me why the bbk would make more power with a smaller compressor housing?! I thought more air equals more power, am I missing something? Thanks for the help guys.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aka.ralliart15
My Tomei was awesome and really fun to drive, i could beat on that little turbo and I never had a problem, I just got a Red because i needed more power for what i wanted to do. Good luck on your choice.
From what I have read the Tomei is a 20G rated at 640CFM just like all other 20G. Same as MAP SST and same as TD06-20G. Am I missing something?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:27 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by racer135
From what I have read the Tomei is a 20G rated at 640CFM just like all other 20G. Same as MAP SST and same as TD06-20G. Am I missing something?
I'm really not sure but It makes more power than the old FPGreen on high boost which is classified as a 20G I guess, why? I don't really know.

Dynosheet vs Green is on page 7:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...installed.html

Last edited by ASAPPerformance; Jan 22, 2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should really look into the HTA green. I know there are some people out there who don't enjoy FP turbos, but the Red and Black have caught on because of their consistently reliable power. Not too many people on here have the new version of the green, they just pay the extra 100 dollars to step up to a red with hopes of maxing it out on the top end of the RPM range.

The HTA green spools FAST, I start to spool before 3k and hit full spool probably around ~3200! I have had everything ported, run a different intake/pipe setup so that thing can suck as much air as fast as it wants to. On 93 octane, I was right at the 400hp/400 torque barrier, I just knew I wanted to switch to E-85 so I didn't push it any further. Now, with a little work/tuning and a few new parts I am at the ~480hp/420 torque range. I have to get it over to the dyno to confirm the final numbers, before I start working on her again while she is in the garage. I was originally tuned a little higher than those numbers on E-85, but the tune was pretty aggressive, so we dialed it back to save the life of the motor. All of these values come off of a Mustang Dyno. A built 2.0 or 2.1 is coming in the near future.

The HTA Green and the BBK full are often mentioned in the same sentence, however I think the Green really starts to shine with high boost and some form of race gas, wether it be E-85, Meth what have you. With this being said, and the quickness of the spool, and room on the top end for more power, I think you should really consider the HTA Green. I have driven in a BBK Full car, and you can't go wrong, thats for sure, but the HTA was the choice for me because it gave me the spool, and upgrade headroom for future mods I was looking for.

Good luck with your choice
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Edit: Awesome Iphone repost action...

Last edited by buchnerj; Jan 23, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Man I don't know what to do...the Tomei looked so solid from all the R&D that went into it. Now I'm leaning to the BBK full because it seems like that is what's proven, just don't wanna be like everyone on te block.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Wow hadn't really looked too much into the new green because just like you said the red is only another $100. Interesting....
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolutinIX
Man I don't know what to do...the Tomei looked so solid from all the R&D that went into it. Now I'm leaning to the BBK full because it seems like that is what's proven, just don't wanna be like everyone on te block.

I would imagine the Tomei to be a lot more responsive on the street than your greens, reds and blacks. No actual experience - but no bias either. I have only used Mitsu turbos.

Keep in mind that this forum is most likely going to trust and support domestic suppliers and thier credibility usually seems to be linked to 1/4 mi. times.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does Tomei require headstuds?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Bump what did you end up gettin?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 95630706
I would imagine the Tomei to be a lot more responsive on the street than your greens, reds and blacks. No actual experience
How can you suggest any one of these turbos without any experience with any of them on the street/track? With all do respect, any of these are significantly different than any of the stock mitsubishi turbos that you said you have driven, so how can you tell which one will spool faster? I would be interested to see the spec sheet on the Tomei, as I am not just lobbying for the Green, I love debate between turbos when facts are presented. So, anyone have more detailed information on the ARMS other than guesses/word of mouth?

Originally Posted by ak47po
Does Tomei require headstuds?
Headstuds? Those would be dependent on how much boost you are pushing through the system, not just the turbo you choose to bolt up. You could bolt up any turbo, wether it be a 6262, stock frame, what have you, and run 20 lbs and be fine on the stock head studs, it is when you push the boost past the stock levels ~20lbs that you should consider head studs. I run 30 lbs on my Green and I have the ARP L19 headstuds, just in case.

Originally Posted by t-revzr
Bump what did you end up gettin?
I would also be interested to know.

As I said, I would be very interested to see some detailed spec sheets on the ARMS, preferably a compressor wheel photo, flow characteristics and/or specifications on flow rate. Then, and only then, can we sit down and have a real debate on turbo selection.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know why people are looking at the Tomei when we have options from FP and CBRD. (*edit LOCAL options not overseas options*)

Last edited by boostedwrx; Feb 12, 2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: usa usa
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I said, I would be very interested to see some detailed spec sheets on the ARMS, preferably a compressor wheel photo, flow characteristics and/or specifications on flow rate. Then, and only then, can we sit down and have a real debate on turbo selection.[/QUOTE]

Have you seen this.

http://www.tomeipowered-usa.com/usa/...7960/m7960.htm
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

just swapped my arms for BBK full, the full rips the **** out of it.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burnzy
just swapped my arms for BBK full, the full rips the **** out of it.
LOL yep I bet!

Quick Reply: Tomei ARMS??