Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tomei ARMS??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ak47po
Wish I could read japanese to read what they are describing, although the pictures of the compressor wheel are interesting, thank you for that post.

Originally Posted by burnzy
just swapped my arms for BBK full, the full rips the **** out of it.
These two turbos should be VERY similar in terms of flow, by rips the **** out of it what do you mean? Faster spool? More power up top? Torque? Do you have any dyno charts of the two to compare? Did you change anything else when you did the swap?

Sorry for 20 questions, I am just interested.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ak47po
Does Tomei require headstuds?
Head studs is an insurance for your motor
Old Feb 13, 2010, 01:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buchnerj
Wish I could read japanese to read what they are describing, although the pictures of the compressor wheel are interesting, thank you for that post.

These two turbos should be VERY similar in terms of flow, by rips the **** out of it what do you mean? Faster spool? More power up top? Torque? Do you have any dyno charts of the two to compare? Did you change anything else when you did the swap?

Sorry for 20 questions, I am just interested.

dude, it both outspools and outpowers it,more topend AND more torque. unless you've driven both and had it on the same car then i couldn't really explain it much clearer, they are not similar flowing at all, the tomei looks good on paper but is producing to be desired real life results around the world and here in australia. Not that many turbos sell down here but there have been about 4 tomeis for sale used alone in the past month or so. They're an "OK" turbo no doubt, but nothing special. I had to run 1.9 bar to make decent power with a meth kit, the bbk feels faster at 1.7 bar, at 1.9, like I said, rips the **** out of it

for full disclosure, I did port the manifold and put a new dump pipe on at the same time. Already had aftermarket ebay dump though. Pretty much everyone down here thats gone from tomei to bbk has said same thing though.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1... I had the ARMS, now BBK-Full
Old Feb 13, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burnzy
dude, it both outspools and outpowers it,more topend AND more torque. unless you've driven both and had it on the same car then i couldn't really explain it much clearer, they are not similar flowing at all, the tomei looks good on paper but is producing to be desired real life results around the world and here in australia. Not that many turbos sell down here but there have been about 4 tomeis for sale used alone in the past month or so. They're an "OK" turbo no doubt, but nothing special. I had to run 1.9 bar to make decent power with a meth kit, the bbk feels faster at 1.7 bar, at 1.9, like I said, rips the **** out of it

for full disclosure, I did port the manifold and put a new dump pipe on at the same time. Already had aftermarket ebay dump though. Pretty much everyone down here thats gone from tomei to bbk has said same thing though.
Okay, thank you for your description. I am anxiously awaiting Mike@AWDmotorsports tests done on these stock frame turbos before I make my mind up on which should be the king of spool and power. He just completed his testing on the BBK-Full I believe and plans to put the HTA Green on next. I hope the Tomei ARMS is in his schedule at some point down the road. Still, a copy of the flow characteristics/capacities and a side by side look at the compressor wheels would be nice. I have seen a few of the Green, and the one on the website that was just posted for the ARMS, but they are hard to tell in relativity to each other.

Originally Posted by Jorge T
+1... I had the ARMS, now BBK-Full
You agree with the statement that the ARMS is a better small stock frame turbo than the BBK?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Well, when the Tomei turbo was designed, it was to have the same or little bit more pwr than the fp green w/ better spool. So the focus was to be build a torque monster for dd, auto x & road race guys, thats why they added to the line up, the 2.3 stroker. Fast fwd to now there has been many improvements to the turbo applications available since then bbk, fp red, & the fp black. The thing to remember is that Tomei line up is application specific w/ r & d, it's not for drag racing.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

remember the tomei is just a normal 6 blade 20g wheel with td06sl2, EXACTLY same as map sst and all the other 20g variants, including ebay, except a larger comp cover which doesn't seem to really do anything, it's got a big outlet then they provide a j pipe that tapers down to normal size anyway? Doesn't make sense. I was disappoint in the tomei, I thought they would have put custom turbine/comp wheels, not off the shelf mitsu items.

If tomei had better spool I would agree with what you're saying 38six, but the bbk both outspools and outpowers it. I have no reason to lie really, I don't have a vested interest in either company.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What you are saying is not a reliable source(don't take it personal), can you show me any specs of the MAP turbo?. I haven't found much about it and that is why I can even fairly comprae it with other turbos.

Carlos
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

lol.. I've personally seen the tomei and tomei themselves state the inducer/exducer sizes and designation of the wheel, what isn't reliable about that? TD06SL turbine and 20g 6 blade compressor, simple as that?

map sst, I can guarantee you is 20g and td06sl2 from taiwan also.

Last edited by burnzy; Feb 13, 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

^^ I was talking about MAP turbo. I know about Tomei Arms M7960, I know it has all the specs on their website. I was refering to the MAP turbo(sleeper).

Carlos
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

But you see, 22 psi is simply not enough. No point of running a Tomei Arms at only 22psi. I am running 27-28psi(peak reading on my BF Defi digital gauges) on my stock Evo 9 turbo on 91oct and it pulls hard.

I don't know your mods but if I ever get a Tomei Arms I would run no less than 25 PSI no matter what.

Carlos
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
^^ I was talking about MAP turbo. I know about Tomei Arms M7960, I know it has all the specs on their website. I was refering to the MAP turbo(sleeper).

Carlos
ask them themselves they should tell you whats in it if they're a reputable vendor., you really think for 1200 you're getting custom front and back wheels? if it looks like a 20g, makes power like a 20g and has the pricetag of a 20g, for all intents and purposes it's a 20g

As for the tomei needing high boost, mine was run at 1.9 bar with meth and although yes it was a fast car, the bbk is faster at 1.9.
I was pretty impresse when i took it out that it was still in perfect condition after quite a few beatings though.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

I have an evo 6, at 1.9 bar was making 270kw, or around 370whp, easily over 400 dynojet figures. That was with meth though.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:07 PM

I love my ARMS turbo. More power and torque than my first gen. (non HTA) FP Green.

I think the spool and power are awesome for a street car. I agree that it is not the most powerful turbo of its type but the ARMS has a good balance.

When looking at the price you should also consider what is included in the turbo kit. The Tomei comes with new water lines, oil feed, and all related gaskets.

As for Service of an overseas made product - Tomei is top notch. I had a problem with my ARMS and Tomei was quick to remedy the problem. I think their customer service is top notch for any manufacturer.