Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help Please! Running rich, Wideband reads like a narrowband

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Please! Running rich, Wideband reads like a narrowband

I have an 05 evo. I purchased it with an APS intercooler, 3.5" APS exhaust, boost gauge, and an egt gauge already installed. To the best of my knowledge everthing else was stock. It ran fine. I have installed an Innovate LC-1, Profec b spec II boost controller, turbo timer, and Injen air piping (intake, upper and lower intercooler piping). All was well. I logged with Evoscan, emailed to TTP for a reflash. The next day, my wideband began reading super rich. The gauge stays at 7.4 except when I let off the accelerator and then it springs to 22.1 for a few seconds. Then its back at 7.4. Logging pulls up a trouble code from the wideband saying that it is too rich and it won't let me log again. I have to disconnect, reconnect, try again and it does it again. It will vary a little bit in quick spurts similar to a narrowband afr meter but for the most part it is as rich or richer than the gauge will display. My car runs okay but I am definitely running rich and my fuel economy backs me up. I uploaded the tune from TTP and it has had very little if any effect. The readings don't seem to have changed at all. I have done the following:

Changed my intake back to stock - no help
Left intake stock, disconnected power to ecu for over an hour - no help
boost leak test - a little bit at tb shaft seal, that's it
used maf cleaner - no help
disconnected power from ecu again for over an hour - no help
installed a gm maf and maft temporarily in stock maf location - no help
returned to stock maf and Injen intake - no help

I'm open to any suggestions and will provide any information that I can. Thank you in advance for any help you might offer.

I have searched through pages of posts using various key words and I have not found anyone experiencing the same troubles that I am. I didn't want to start a new thread if there were others. I apologize if I missed a thread on the same topic.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

check all vacuum hoses, especially on the FPR, mine popped off once and caused my A/F gauge to give weird readings.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 01:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
contact ttp
Old Jan 21, 2010, 02:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what we gather from your post. You were ready to install our flash, but the car wigged out before you even loaded our flash.

You then tried a few things, to no help.

Then you tried our reflash which did not change your pre-existing, pre-flash condition.

Does this sound correct?

Personally it sounds like you lost a intercooler pipe from boost or your intake manifold MAP sensor died.

Originally Posted by cmrs2k
I have an 05 evo. I purchased it with an APS intercooler, 3.5" APS exhaust, boost gauge, and an egt gauge already installed. To the best of my knowledge everthing else was stock. It ran fine. I have installed an Innovate LC-1, Profec b spec II boost controller, turbo timer, and Injen air piping (intake, upper and lower intercooler piping). All was well. I logged with Evoscan, emailed to TTP for a reflash. The next day, my wideband began reading super rich. The gauge stays at 7.4 except when I let off the accelerator and then it springs to 22.1 for a few seconds. Then its back at 7.4. Logging pulls up a trouble code from the wideband saying that it is too rich and it won't let me log again. I have to disconnect, reconnect, try again and it does it again. It will vary a little bit in quick spurts similar to a narrowband afr meter but for the most part it is as rich or richer than the gauge will display. My car runs okay but I am definitely running rich and my fuel economy backs me up. I uploaded the tune from TTP and it has had very little if any effect. The readings don't seem to have changed at all. I have done the following:

Changed my intake back to stock - no help
Left intake stock, disconnected power to ecu for over an hour - no help
boost leak test - a little bit at tb shaft seal, that's it
used maf cleaner - no help
disconnected power from ecu again for over an hour - no help
installed a gm maf and maft temporarily in stock maf location - no help
returned to stock maf and Injen intake - no help

I'm open to any suggestions and will provide any information that I can. Thank you in advance for any help you might offer.

I have searched through pages of posts using various key words and I have not found anyone experiencing the same troubles that I am. I didn't want to start a new thread if there were others. I apologize if I missed a thread on the same topic.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 02:53 PM

TTP, you are correct. I hope it did not sound like I was implying that your tune was the source of trouble. It was not my intention. The problem began while waiting for the new tune. All parts on the car were on there when I recorded the logs that I sent in when I bought the tune.

I will check all of my vacuum hoses and do another boost leak test to be sure that I don't have an intercooler pipe issue. As far as the MAP sensor is concerned, I will have to research ways (if any aside from replace with known good one) to test/diagnose troubles there.

Strangely, I have no DTC's from the ECU, only one from Evoscan regarding the wideband reading too rich.

Thanks for all your help. I will post again when done.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:13 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. It seems some misinterpreted your post.

You may also consider recalibrating or replacing your wideband as at 7.4AFR, the car would not run, period. So it seems your Innovate is inaccurate.

We have seen a poor idle and readings like that when a MAP sensor went bad on the intake manifold.

Originally Posted by cmrs2k
TTP, you are correct. I hope it did not sound like I was implying that your tune was the source of trouble. It was not my intention. The problem began while waiting for the new tune. All parts on the car were on there when I recorded the logs that I sent in when I bought the tune.

I will check all of my vacuum hoses and do another boost leak test to be sure that I don't have an intercooler pipe issue. As far as the MAP sensor is concerned, I will have to research ways (if any aside from replace with known good one) to test/diagnose troubles there.

Strangely, I have no DTC's from the ECU, only one from Evoscan regarding the wideband reading too rich.

Thanks for all your help. I will post again when done.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

You're 100% sure it's the car that has the problem? I know if you unplug your data logging cable from the Innovate with the car on, it can mess up the internal settings of the wideband. Mine was reading all crazy, and when I went in and looked at the settings it reverted to methanol and that's why the gauge was completely wrong.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:12 AM

I had considered and figured that the wideband was off. I did a recalibration (free air) but the problem remained.

Boost leak check and vacuum hose check are good.

It sounds/seems like the next step will be to essentially re-install the wideband again going through the initial installation and calibration steps. We'll see how that turns out.

Thank you all for your help.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:50 PM

Well, I finally had the time to pull the wideband sensor, disconnect the controller from power and then reconnect and go through the first time start up and calibration process. It seems to be functioning correctly now. Assuming that it is accurate, my car is still running rich (which my fuel economy confirms) but at least I have one issue dealt with. Thank you to everyone who chipped in to help.