Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

help removing transfer case

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an OTC slide hammer kit. It came with an adapter that has a hole in it to slide a screw through. Then it threads onto the end of the hammer. You should be able to pick it up at sears. I bought my through the local Matco dealer though. The part in the first row on the left is what you need.

BUT, you can get an 8x1.25 bolt thats VERY long. Thread it in and VERY CAREFULLY tap the head with a chisel and a hammer to slide it out. If you're in a pinch I would try that method.

Last edited by mayberry; Jan 22, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:18 PM

Hmmm, the set that i have has some piece that looks like that, but nothing fits. Im still stumped with this thing
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

I had to drill out my adapter a bit to make it work. But it worked out for me. If you're that stuck, go try the second option I gave you.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:44 PM

Ok yeah im gonna try that in the morning. Hopefully, that works. Thanks for the help. I appreciate that
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

I ghetto fied mine i just safteywired my bolt to the end of the slide hammer...worked
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:55 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just use one of the adpaters with the holes around the edges and bolt the adapter to the shaft. Of course unless the holes won't fit the size bolt you need. The kit I rented has one that fit though.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

how did you make out?? I'm in the same situation right now last time I was able to get with a bolt, big vise grips and a lump hammer. But I don't have the vise grips or lump hammer so I think I will be on a quest for a slide hammer it seems this will make it easier
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
slide hammer makes getting it out a 3 second job
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mayberry
I have an OTC slide hammer kit. It came with an adapter that has a hole in it to slide a screw through. Then it threads onto the end of the hammer. You should be able to pick it up at sears. I bought my through the local Matco dealer though. The part in the first row on the left is what you need.

BUT, you can get an 8x1.25 bolt thats VERY long. Thread it in and VERY CAREFULLY tap the head with a chisel and a hammer to slide it out. If you're in a pinch I would try that method.
Advanced Auto has this same exact kit for a loaner tool and I used this exact kit to get the part out with only one it.
All you need is:
The 8x1.25 bolt with a matching nut
A washer that goes with the bolt
The slide hammer kit from Advanced, not Autozone.

These were the only things I used from the kit.

Depending on what size washers you bought, 1 would work for small ones and 2 would work for big ones. So far, I used 2 because of my washer setup.

This is the bolt I used and how I had it setup with the washers.

Just as is, I put the bolt into the axle on the driver side.
Then, I put the hooks on to the middle piece and the middle piece onto the slide hammer. To make things easier, only use 2 of the 3.
Hook the hooks onto the washer then slide hammer it out! No welding tricks needed and since it's a loaner tool, you can return it back to Advanced to get all your money back same day.

Note: As for putting it back on, you wouldn't need a slide hammer again. A rubber mallet or a dead hammer would work great. Just make sure you don't use a steel hammer or you'll have some problems with chipping.

Another thing on why I used 2 nuts is so that the washers are locked in place and has no chance of moving around.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:25 PM

I got it off. I found a bolt that threaded in and i made it work. Now i need to remove the tranny from the block. What is the procedure for that?? Thanks again for all the help!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:07 AM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if you are doing it with the engine still in, then the process goes something like this.... remove the front/rear engine mounts and of course the tranny engine mount, taking some if not all of the engine mount studs out of the tranny for clearance. Disconnect all the peripherals like the clutch slave cylinder and shifter linkage, undo the throwout bearing clip, by holding the clutch fork to to one of the sides (can't remember) and prying with a flathead. Pull the 6 or so bolts that connect the tranny to the engine and use a pry bar to start sliding it off and down, while swearing the whole way because it is a serious PITA. Of course getting it on that way is even worse.

I chose to pull my whole engine, but to me that is much easier than wrestling the tranny the way you intend to. Of course it takes a lot longer, because you have a lot more to disconnect, but to each their own.

I think your best bet doing it with the engine still in is using a hoist to stabilize the tranny while moving it around with a jack, human power.

Last edited by fre; Jan 24, 2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

the hardest thing about droping and puting back the transmision is clearing the subframe. I actually read one write up that they droped that as well but that requires disconecting the steering rack and power steering lines etc. It was just plain difficult you need to go at it with the propper angles
Old Jan 24, 2010, 05:05 PM

Oh im sorry, i guess i forgot to mention, yeah i dropped the whole motor assembly from the car. But i figured out how to remove the tranny. thanks again