Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

help removing transfer case

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help removing transfer case

I droppped my old motor out of the car with the transmission and transfer case still attached. I removed all of the bolts from the transfer case and was able to slide it about 2 inches. I went and got a slide hammer from autozone but i dont understand how it works. The goons behind the counter were no help. i tried searching the forums but i cant find anything. Can someone help explain how i get this transfer case off. Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-removal.html

This is for an 8 but should be similar
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are trying to remove your axles then one end of the slide hammer should have a hole or screw that you could screw in on the axle. then from there slide the weight going away from the motor to pull the axle out.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
If you are trying to remove your axles then one end of the slide hammer should have a hole or screw that you could screw in on the axle. then from there slide the weight going away from the motor to pull the axle out.
The size of the hole on the axle is way smaller than the size of the bolt on the end of the slide hammer
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

you have to get a M8X1.25 bolt and weld it onto the end of the slide hammer. after doing that you will be able to thread the slide hammer into the shaft in the transfer case. one slide of the hammer and thats all it took for mine to pop out. hope this helps.

Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by MICLOIV
you have to get a M8X1.25 bolt and weld it onto the end of the slide hammer. after doing that you will be able to thread the slide hammer into the shaft in the transfer case. one slide of the hammer and thats all it took for mine to pop out. hope this helps.

Theres one problem with this. I rented the slide hammer from autozone. I dont think that they would appreciate me welding things on their equipment. There has too be a right sized tool or something. How does everybody else remove their transfer case??
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

i rented mine. i simply grinded the bolt off, threw a little bit of dirty grease on it to make it look 'used' again and returned it with no problems and no damage to the threads. gluck on finding a slide hammer with the correct size thread you need.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevo IX
Theres one problem with this. I rented the slide hammer from autozone. I dont think that they would appreciate me welding things on their equipment. There has too be a right sized tool or something. How does everybody else remove their transfer case??
You don't need to weld anything on to a slide hammer. I got mine out by using the right size bolt and a washer. The slide hammer kit should've came with heads that would help you pull things. Try to find a head that's an "L" shape and pull it off. If that L head has a groove in it, even better.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

i just did this on my buddies 9. thread a bolt and washer in there. use a claw hammer to carefully pull/pry the shaft out. work great on my car 3 years ago and my buddies car 2 weeks ago.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:11 PM

Yeah i returned the slide hammer to bullsh*t autozone. The kit that they rented to me didnt come with not a single adapter or attachment. I went to discount auto and they had what i need!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:53 PM

I just got back home and i still cant figure out how this thing works. I dont see any adapter in this kit that will work. How do i get this thing off!!!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

You need the correct size bolt for the input shaft. Then get yourself a nut that threads on the end of the slide hammer.

Weld the bolt head to the nut. Now you have an adapter that fits both the slide hammer and the input shaft. That's what I did. After I was done I unthreaded it from the slide hammer, and put it in my tool box for next time.

Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:43 PM

There has to be a way to get this off without welding pieces to pieces
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Just use some JB welds if you own an evo but somehow don't know anyone that has a welding machine of any type.

You are 1 hardware store trip away from making it happen. I bet some heavy duty 2 part epoxy might even do the job.

Last edited by JohnDoe1984; Jan 22, 2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:52 PM

What i mean is, there has to be a certain tool to remove this that doesnt require any extra welding or fabrication. One that already comes ready to pull the axle off

Quick Reply: help removing transfer case