Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Synapse Synchronic BOV installed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll give you one. You pay shipping. Sorry about the jack
Old Mar 27, 2010, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What a guy!
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

New and improved model without port C good Sir. I bought the setup from NLM and installed with varying levels of flutter.
A+B gave most partial throttle flutter
B only gave slightly better response still fluttering under partial throttle accel
A only with preload loosened gave the best results under partial throttle.

I was just making an observation that the GM 3 ports pulse boost and the synapse is so fast acting that it resonds on the negative side of a boost pulse. I'm not putting down the product, actually the oppostite. This thing is so good at what it does. I want to buy synapse a beer cheers you all.

Originally Posted by Synaptic Evo
This is a BOV has port c correct?

To solve this issue i would recommend the Port C Delete for your BOV. I currently run a gm 3 port on my evo with no issues.

Last edited by Chris77064; Mar 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling duh
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

so how do you do the port c delete? i just installed this on my evo x and i have an "evo dynamics" same as grimmspeed 3port bcs. i read some good info on here and i'm gonna try some of the settings like taking the pre load spring out or having it tightened up or in between...

as of now i have it set up to port c on boost source, port b on vacuum (port a closed)...that was the best set up i got but still got fluttering on freeway speeds at 4th and 5th gear from low revs going up.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Mine hasn't gone away on portA port B VTA -No port C, but I've set it up so that is has near stock drivability with the badass actuation of the synapse. I would say it only happens 5% at freeway speeds. Loosen the preload and use port A only vent portB to atmosphere. Since port A has the least surface area on the BOV piston it isn't prone to purge(wwooooootshhhhh) under partial throttle.

Consider the following illustration. Port A is on the bottom, B is the chamber above it. The pic is the revised no port C. If you need to visualize where port C would go; it would be on the other side of the piston in the red area.

http://synapseengineering.com/smf/index.php?topic=80.0
Old Apr 4, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chris77064
Mine hasn't gone away on portA port B VTA -No port C, but I've set it up so that is has near stock drivability with the badass actuation of the synapse. I would say it only happens 5% at freeway speeds. Loosen the preload and use port A only vent portB to atmosphere. Since port A has the least surface area on the BOV piston it isn't prone to purge(wwooooootshhhhh) under partial throttle.

Consider the following illustration. Port A is on the bottom, B is the chamber above it. The pic is the revised no port C. If you need to visualize where port C would go; it would be on the other side of the piston in the red area.

http://synapseengineering.com/smf/index.php?topic=80.0
i've tried that but actually got better results with port b vacuum, port a vta...but last night i tried loosening the pre load all the way and i've gotten my best results so far...there's still little flutter on inital hard acceleration but that's it. i'm gonna try swapping port a & b out again and see if i get better results. i'm also wanting to try taking the preload spring out but a lil worried i might screw something up literally.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still want to get around to taking out my preload spring too and try the settings again too. If you do it before me Reggiesd please post your comments on here!!
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

All you need is a sturdy set of allen keys. There aren't many "moving parts" to the synapse. It's greatness relies on it's simplistic design. Untorque all of the fasteners on the port/ preload side and voila. I'm sure you have disassembled alot more on you Evo and still put it back together. Give it a go. Peace

Last edited by Chris77064; Apr 4, 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

i removed the pre load spring this afternoon (the small spring right?). the response and flutter improved a lil bit...there's still flutter but overall i'm satisfied with the end result. i think i'll keep this set up: port b vacuum/port a vta, pre-load spring removed. i'll play with the set up again tomorrow and see if i can fine tune it.

...one question i have though, would the stock wastegate actuator have something to do with the fluttering as well? i know some buy aftermarket wastegate actuators to be able to hold higher boost.

Last edited by reggiesd; Apr 5, 2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

I have a couple of questions...

1. Is it necessary for Port C to be hooked up to a boost source or can I just block it with a nipple?

2. Also my Port A & B became lose so I just retightened them. Should I have taken them out and wrapped it with telfon before putting them back in?

I just replaced my stock 9 bov with the synapse but the car is running rich now. I believe I may have leak after putting on the synapse. Currently running Port A+B with Port C blocked off with a nipple, on a ETS 6057 Turbo kit. I do get a little flutter all the time when letting off the gas.

Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

i believe port c needs to be hooked up to a boost source. *edited*

Last edited by reggiesd; Apr 6, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Taimur
I have a couple of questions...

1. Is it necessary for Port C to be hooked up to a boost source or can I just block it with a nipple?

2. Also my Port A & B became lose so I just retightened them. Should I have taken them out and wrapped it with telfon before putting them back in?

I just replaced my stock 9 bov with the synapse but the car is running rich now. I believe I may have leak after putting on the synapse. Currently running Port A+B with Port C blocked off with a nipple, on a ETS 6057 Turbo kit. I do get a little flutter all the time when letting off the gas.

Thanks.
Since this valve actuates as quickly as it does getting it to drive like stock is damn near impossible. You will have the trade off of running a stock (leaky) BOV with perfect drivability for a synapse (bad *** actuating and no leaks) with slight flutter under partial throttle. PORT C is to be used as a boost source only -----NO VACCUMM/ BLOCK OFF. Getting this modded from Synapse is the only loop hole to the non EVO specific BOV. You are probably runnning richer because your old set up was on a BOV that was of leaking. The set up compensansated for the leak by pushing through much more fuel than nessesary. Now that the leak/ BOV was fixed you are running rich because the synapse does not leak. Hope this helps

Last edited by Chris77064; Apr 5, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chris77064
Since this valve actuates as quickly as it does getting it to drive like stock is damn near impossible. You will have the trade off of running a stock (leaky) BOV with perfect drivability for a synapse (bad *** actuating and no leaks) with slight flutter under partial throttle. PORT C is to be used as a boost source only -----NO VACCUMM/ BLOCK OFF. Getting this modded from Synapse is the only loop hole to the non EVO specific BOV. You are probably runnning richer because your old set up was on a BOV that was of leaking. The set up compensansated for the leak by pushing through much more fuel than nessesary. Now that the leak/ BOV was fixed you are running rich because the synapse does not leak. Hope this helps
Thanks. But if the car was running ok before with the stock BOV and now running rich with the synapse isn't that a a sign of a boost leak now. That's what I thought??

I think I will do a boost leak test anyway.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to start testing the new Tial recirc since I can't seem to get this thing to stop fluttering. I will pop back in if it's better.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
I'm going to start testing the new Tial recirc since I can't seem to get this thing to stop fluttering. I will pop back in if it's better.
post a vid on youtube of it acting up to counter the shady Synapse vids of a tial with the wrong spring.

Quick Reply: Synapse Synchronic BOV installed