Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Synapse Synchronic BOV installed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Synapse Synchronic BOV installed

Trying to have my cake and eat it to too so I'm trying the Synchronic after running the Tial. After playing with every spring, cutting every spring, I can't get the Tial to not cause the turbo to surge when barely lifting. Anyway I thought I'd post some pics to show how friggin huge this BOV really is. Once I get a filter on it I'll probably have to rearrange it again.

I'll have driving impressions in a few days but I already had to remove the port A/B brass fittings because they were loose. I put them back on with just a tiny tiny bit of blue locktite.

Install was simple with the ETS upper intercooler pipe. I'm using the Evo version of the Synchronic so it doesn't have port C. From reading what others had the best luck with I'm trying Port B first (Port A VTA).

Click for dyno link - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...1whp-370ft-lbs.

UPDATE: with port B connected to Manifold Vacuum and port A VTA

I noticed throttle response seems a bit better than the IX or Tial. Could just be my imagination and limited seat time after switching valves. It feels as good or better driving around on the street and feels fine under WOT. I didn't have to turn the boost controller down though. I only hit 27.7psi at 70 WGDC so I don't think it's holding as well as the Tial (usually hit 29 on the Tial but I wasn't logging MAP so I don't really know). The valve will also flutter on the freeway when barely lifting in 5th or 6th gear. It's not causing any turbo surge but valve flutter when barely lifting off after building 10psi or so. Also notice it leaks like mad at idle, but I read it's supposed to.

UPDATE ON OTHER PORT SETTINGS:

A+B: Sounded/felt the most crisp to me during shifts, however, resulted in BOV flutter in 6th gear on the freeway. 3300rpm or so, give it some gas and let the boost rise. 15 psi or so and barely lift and the BOV will flutter.

A (B VTA): While sounding a little less crisp, the BOV will now open as soon as I step on the clutch or lift off the gas. Resulted in a LOT less flutter on the freeway. I could build 15-17psi and barely lift and it would purge or almost make a leak sound like the oem 9. It did flutter on me once, but I made 10 or so other attempts and it worked like I described.

Again I've had limited seat time on each setting and will probably run through them all again (or a third time ) but for right now I like just A connected and B VTA.

Last edited by boostedwrx; Feb 3, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
I didn't know u could buy one of those without port c, i would have bought that one ! :[
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
I didn't know u could buy one of those without port c, i would have bought that one ! :[
Call Synapse. You can send yours in and they can modify it for you. I'll let you know how mine feels when I drive it which probably won't be till early this week.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This bov will still flutter if you don't lift off completely. It can't tell whether you are going to load the car up again or not. My concern is the surging fluttering on partial throttle high boost, high gear conditions. Mine is recirced.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
This bov will still flutter if you don't lift off completely. It can't tell whether you are going to load the car up again or not. My concern is the surging fluttering on partial throttle high boost, high gear conditions. Mine is recirced.
That is the real issue I think, I have an HKS SSQ and that is exactly what it does. When the stock DV is in the problem is gone, I have yet to find a BOV that has worked under those conditions.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
a stock dv won't hold 30psi though...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Port c with b worked the best for me but I still get some part throttle flutter which is not all the time. Interested to hear how yours does with no c port
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

I second that of port C and B working the best.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Does anybody have a good solution for fitting it in stock piping? It performs as well as advertised, but just not happy how it fits in my engine bay.

Just being picky I guess.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:12 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome pics! This BOV seems to be *the* one to get. Please make sure to update us on the driveablility of this thing, I'm very interested to hear.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
i've got A + B at manifold pressure, and C hooked up to Boost source and i've never ever heard any compressor flutter/surge.
Even being full boost and slightly lifting.
I did have flutter when all the connections weren't on
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well basically now that I got my mini battery, I routed a straight hose down off the stock UICP to the BOV (about a 3" rubber hose), then I routed another rubber hose off the recirc portion, which is connected to a 90 degree PVC pipe which I clamped into the stock rubber hose.

I am getting a HeroHD soon and will be able to capture some video of what happens on the freeway. I have it routed as straight as possible and the BOV is on it's side. I know a few local guys had it mounted like Synapse tell you to (straight up and down) and they had issues with it mounted in that fashion.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by RSMike
i've got A + B at manifold pressure, and C hooked up to Boost source and i've never ever heard any compressor flutter/surge.
Even being full boost and slightly lifting.
Mine is configured exactly the same way, and I've never encountered so much as a hiccup either.

Those signal lines need to be straight connections and free of tees. Some in here have MBCs and whatever else tee'd into the BOV signal lines and wonder why they can't get it working correctly.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE: with port B connected to Manifold Vacuum and port A VTA

I noticed throttle response seems a bit better than the IX or Tial. Could just be my imagination and limited seat time after switching valves. It feels as good or better driving around on the street and feels fine under WOT. I didn't have to turn the boost controller down though. I only hit 27.7psi at 70 WGDC so I don't think it's holding as well as the Tial (usually hit 29 on the Tial but I wasn't logging MAP so I don't really know). The valve also comes open a little too easy on the freeway, in 5th or 6th gear. It's not causing any turbo surge but valve flutter when barely lifting off after building 10psi or so. Also notice it leaks like mad at idle, but I read it's supposed to.

I'm going to try A + B connected to vacuum next like you have yours connected Ted. I know you have a larger turbo though and that could play in to your config. Again my unit does not have Port C plumbed.

Last edited by boostedwrx; Feb 1, 2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Mine is configured exactly the same way, and I've never encountered so much as a hiccup either.

Those signal lines need to be straight connections and free of tees. Some in here have MBCs and whatever else tee'd into the BOV signal lines and wonder why they can't get it working correctly.
Ted B:

Do you have pics of how your setup looks? Both of the ports on top have a Y connecting them together on my setup since there is only one nipple that is accessible on the intake manifold. Did you tap a second fitting onto the IM?

Quick Reply: Synapse Synchronic BOV installed