Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil pan leak question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil pan leak question

Is it possible for an oil pan leak to spray out oil under boost? I just replaced the gaskets to the oil return line from the turbo as I originally thought that was the source of the leak but it seems that was only part of it because Im still leaking oil just not as bad. The oil leaks down from the top the back of the oil pan but some oil is also on the starter and kind of sprayed along other parts in that area. Im assuming this is the cause because I don't think there is anywhere else it could be leaking from. I checked the block and its clean except for the way bottom by the oil pan.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine is leaking too!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:39 PM

after i drive the car out of the garage there is a tiny pile of oil on the floor!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 02:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have the samn problem. I took everything of the front of the motor to check the oil pump and all that was dry.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by def1
Is it possible for an oil pan leak to spray out oil under boost?
No. There is no oil pressure, or boost pressure in the pan. The oil is probably being blown around during driving making it difficult to identify the source.

Originally Posted by def1
I just replaced the gaskets to the oil return line from the turbo as I originally thought that was the source of the leak but it seems that was only part of it because Im still leaking oil just not as bad. The oil leaks down from the top the back of the oil pan but some oil is also on the starter and kind of sprayed along other parts in that area. Im assuming this is the cause because I don't think there is anywhere else it could be leaking from. I checked the block and its clean except for the way bottom by the oil pan.
Chances are you are on the right track. When you installed the new gaskets on the return line, did you torque them back to the proper spec;?
80 (+/- 9) in. lbs. at the turbo
120 (+/- 13) in. lbs. at the pan
It doesn't take much to over tighten them and make the little pieces of cardboard useless.
Also, check to make sure the return line bolt holes at the pan are not stripped (easily done) because they will leak too when stripped.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

I had one of my oil return/pick up lines go bad. I can find photos of it, but that went out on me before. After I had my cams/timing belt changed, the balance shaft was 180 degrees out of sync, and caused a noticable vibration at 4K Rpm. If you feel vibrations thru your seat at that RPM, that could be the culprit, as that vibration DID crack my oil pan!! Just some observations I have had. Also, if your dipstick pops out, that can cause a spray also.

To figure mine out, took a long time, with the dye poured in the oil, flourescent lights to track it down, etc... but for me, I just listed 2 sources of my oil leak. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

its possible that it is coming from the oil line itself but I havent seen any signs that would suggest that. The oiln line was torqued correctly and it doesn't look like its coming from there.
Since it only comes out during boost I think im going to put it on a lift and 2 step it and have someone see where the leak is coming from exactly.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

jack up your car. clean up the bottom of your car with some break cleaner. start your car get underneath it (make sure to use jack stands)and look to see where the oil is coming from. could be your rear main seal. good luck.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:13 PM

yea my rear main seal was shot after 70000 miles and i leaked oil until i changed it