Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

weird surging...tough gear changes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010 | 09:19 AM

weird surging...tough gear changes

Hi everyone,
I just traded my WRX in for an evo8 on Friday it has 35k on it and is in excellent shape. There was a few things I have noticed in the last couple days that has really troubled me...First off when the engine is cold it is abnormally tough to change gears...mainly into second, unless I am at about 4k. I know a slightly tougher gear change is typical but it just seems a little to hesitant to go into gear...even after the car warms up the syncros dont seem as "buttery" as the WRX. So I've been wondering if the previous owners drove the car a little too tough. Do you think a fluid change will help a bit?

The other thing that I noticed was, let's say I'm at 80mph in 5th (just for the sake of discussion, this happens at any mph it seems) not touching the gas pedal at all it's fine, under accelleration it is fine. However, if i touch the gas pedal ever so slightly to where it is not really giving it gas it seems to do a slight surge at about 1 second intervalls...you can even hear the exhaust get a little louder, then a little quieter...it kind of feels like a misfire like the power goes away and then retains its normal feel...like sluggish for that 1 second. If anyone can shed some light on this please help me...Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2010 | 09:23 AM

When was the transmission fluid changed last? If you are unsure go head and change it right away and see how it is. Here in the north where it was around 0 degrees this morning my transmission is pretty notchy, but not unbearable, just have to take it easy for a few minutes.

As far as the surging, maybe get a boost leak test done. Is the car modded at all?
Old Feb 1, 2010 | 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Matt D.
When was the transmission fluid changed last? If you are unsure go head and change it right away and see how it is. Here in the north where it was around 0 degrees this morning my transmission is pretty notchy, but not unbearable, just have to take it easy for a few minutes.

As far as the surging, maybe get a boost leak test done. Is the car modded at all?
Change the fluid for sure just for piece of mind at the very least. While your at it do the T-case and rear diff. It should all take about 30-45 min for someones first time.

As far as surging do a boost leak like suggested and also check to see if you have a stock diverter valve in or bov. If its stock it should be black and made of plastic. Unless it was changed to the stock IX style. But if its chrome or black andonized and says Forge on it that may be causing your surging issue. How do you know the car is stock? Maybe the original owner put it back to stock?

good luck

-Ethan
Old Feb 1, 2010 | 10:36 AM

Thanks guys...yeah I planned on doing the fluid changes since, well who the hell knows when it was done last. should I stick with OEM mitsu fluids? yeah I checked the other day and it is a stock recirc valve...the only thing that "looks" done to it right now is a works catback and a works rear sway...who knows if it at once had other stuff and was de-modded. Of course i'm not sure who owned it before but it would appear to be someone who really took care of their vehicles...but again who knows for sure. Yeah I was wondering if it could be a slight boost leak...sorry for being a noob i've never done a boost leak check...i need to get a boost gauge soon because im wondering if you can see it changing pressure when it surges....and again the surging is very very soft....I hope I didn't make it sounds like it is harsh bucking it was so slight i at first thought i was just imagining it, that when i turned off the radio and could barely hear the change in engine sound.
Old Feb 1, 2010 | 10:49 AM

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean by the surging/bucking, my car does it in high gear, low RPM under load, nature of the beast, I guess.