Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Breaking up/Jerking & other problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locked as in I can't pull the map that's on the car....

Thanks for all the suggestions.... Keep em coming!
Old Feb 9, 2010, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Disconnect negative battery terminal for 10 minutes...... reconnect....start car (DONT TOUCH GAS PEDAL) Let the car idle for 10-15 minutes. That will let the ECU reset the way the car is now. I would try this simple step first, and hopefully it will "relearn' the stock map, since you fixed all the issues. If this wont work, not sure what to tell you, but if you didn't do this step, I would.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

thanks man! i did this today but its the same. The problem is that the car was flashed but I have no clue who did it.

Also, does the tune make a difference if the car, when tuned was 6 speed and swapped with a 5 speed? i think it does for some reason!
Old Feb 9, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

can you read the serial number off the ecu?? and what software are you using?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Contact Chris at Mellon Tuning, he is the man, and if anyone can set this straight, he can!! Tell him I sent you.........wait.........he may not talk to you then! LOL. jk. Go to him...
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Go to aktivmatrix.com they have an ecu unlocker that you run on the desktop with open ecu you will be able to pull the map as well as make changes.....to easy
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

thats awesome info! i was using ecuflash. Ill try to get the serial number from the ecu tomm first thing in the morning!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

well you'll still have to use ECU flash but the ecu unlocker will just run in the back ground allowing you to use ecuflash properly
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
LOL. Naming a thread: "Breaking up and Jerking" sounded like you broke up with your girlfriend, and had a ************ question........LOL. I will help, just a sec..
lmao thats what i thought
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:34 PM
Account Disabled

sounds like the group has you on the right track...first order of business was to reset the ecu, next, pull the ROM with the unlocker, do a 3rd gear pull and post both, maybe we can make some sense of what's going on.

what are the mods boost octane?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

I have great FAIL news. This dude bought the car used and guess what I see. The car has an aftermarket exahust cam and a stock intake cam! WTF! What do people think while they do things like this??

I will pull the rom today and see/post it here.

Mods are : intake/exhaust/MBC and an exhaust cam!

Boost 20-22 psi

93 octane
Old Feb 11, 2010, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_q8
I have great FAIL news. This dude bought the car used and guess what I see. The car has an aftermarket exahust cam and a stock intake cam! WTF! What do people think while they do things like this??

I will pull the rom today and see/post it here.

Mods are : intake/exhaust/MBC and an exhaust cam!

Boost 20-22 psi

93 octane

WOW Well atleast you've narrowed it down if you have a cam then that would cause this problem your timing is prolly off especially if the jerk flashed it back to normal...you know i had a buddy that had the vishnu tune and his ecu was locked his car drove like **** he finally just sold it and got a cherokee SRT8...i hope that all you need is to unlock the ecu and get a good tune! I think your almost there
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's the tune. If someone attempted to tune the stock ECU/MAF setup with one of those crappy SSQV's vented to atmosphere, you can be assured of continued FAIL. Stock ECU/MAF setups work great and can provide great drviability and huge power (Mellon is proof), but I drove an 03 VIII that had one of the SSQV's vented to atmosphere when I was Evo shopping and the jerking, stalling, sputtering was nasty.

You've done the right stuff mechanically, now get the old tune out and get a real tune on it.

With those mods, Mellon can get you running 24-25 psi easily on 93 and over the 300 awhp mark for a IX.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Its been 2 years since I got my evo and since then I have been trying my best to help out the other evo guys out here as there are not many who know about this car. Out of all the ones I have fixed.. I cannot claim this one to be the worst because something tells me there is worse to come!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDavenport
It's the tune. If someone attempted to tune the stock ECU/MAF setup with one of those crappy SSQV's vented to atmosphere, you can be assured of continued FAIL. Stock ECU/MAF setups work great and can provide great drviability and huge power (Mellon is proof), but I drove an 03 VIII that had one of the SSQV's vented to atmosphere when I was Evo shopping and the jerking, stalling, sputtering was nasty.

You've done the right stuff mechanically, now get the old tune out and get a real tune on it.

With those mods, Mellon can get you running 24-25 psi easily on 93 and over the 300 awhp mark for a IX.
They can the SSQV tuned in not perfectly but the SSQV is far from crap.

Quick Reply: Breaking up/Jerking & other problems