Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Breaking up/Jerking & other problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaking up/Jerking & other problems

My buddy came over with his Evo IX Mr last week which he recently bought and said the car was fine until recently.

The car has:

TBE
MBC
Intake
and the HKS SSQV bov.

Then I saw the car under the hood and it was a total mess! Beyond recognition. My friend said the car was bucking/breaking while in WOT and sometimes when cruising too.

So i do a boost leak test and guess what - the wastegate was completely broken!! Changed that one with another one I had at my place and then did a boost leak test. Lot of leaks here n there that I got them all fixed. While at it, I wanted to have a look at its MAF sensor and boy that thing had oil n dirt all over it!

Changed it with another one and removed the lousy MAF and replaced it while doing the rest of the Boost leak testing. Everything fixed and I did another boost leak test. The BOV was leaking so I thew in another BOV and the leaks are down to zero.

Now I drive around and from 1st gear.. the car was really heavy. AFR read 16's and then suddenly back to normal. 3rd gear and I push the car and the car builds boost - startes jerking- builds boost- starts shuddering and then afrs are @ 10.0!

No clue as to why this might be the case. The weather suddenly got colder but I dont think it would affect it this bad.

Thanks in advance. If not.. i will try changin the cam sensors tomm and give it a try. Till then I appreciate all the feedback!

Last edited by evo_q8; Feb 9, 2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
have you checked the plugs and fuel pressure? maybe coils? definately look to see if the plugs are fouled though. good luck.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

Ill check the plugs today but i think the fuel pressure is alright. The car pulls hard and then starts doing the crazy part!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

how come all the great helpful people here dont help anymore!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL. Naming a thread: "Breaking up and Jerking" sounded like you broke up with your girlfriend, and had a ************ question........LOL. I will help, just a sec..
Old Feb 8, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

^^ LOL! damn! i just realized that! FAIL!
Old Feb 8, 2010, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

It has been tuned with these mods?? When it ran like ***, you DID reset the ECU didn't you?? If you didn't, the ECU "Remembers" it running like ***, and has all the "***" settings in it. Reset the ECU, and let it do an "Auto reset".
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

*unwraps snickers bar...takes a bite* lol we got this figured in 5 minutes... where did you go?? lol
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

well here is the story. My buddy wanted to act all "Mr. I know" and got his AEM EMS on the car and started playing around with it. Well... didnt quite run well so he swapped it back with the OEM ecu. Since then the cars been an ***!

It was tuned for those mods previously. But now...its just acting up all crazy! For some reason.. it feels like somethings acting up with the mivec...
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Pulling hard up through RPM range and then violent bucking is usually boost cut or fuel cut. Most likely boost with the MBC cranked past what the ECU threshold is set for.

Do you have any means (Tactrix cable + Ecuflash) to check?

I'm guessing the HKS BOV is VTA? Probably fail point #2.

Leave the cam angle sensor alone.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Yes. I feel its fuel cut. I see the wideband hitting 10.0's. Have zero boost leak. changed his bov to a recirc bov and his crappy MBC to the perrin inline. Still the same.

I have the cable and ecuflash. What do u want me to check?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

The other problem is.. the ecu is locked. I cant get the map thats on the car and check for anything...
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Oh boy.. dude, you need a reflash, remap everything.. The car was tuned on the crap you had on there before. good job getting everything cleared up. Just an observation, but Im guessing there was another turbo kit/mods on beforehand with the AEM. I would sell the AEM, unless you plan on going big. Basic ECUflash will do the trick as you sit now with possible mods later. definitely have the plugs checked.. Good Luck
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_q8
The other problem is.. the ecu is locked. I cant get the map thats on the car and check for anything...

Boost cut/ load .... set it over 300
fuel cut/load ....set it over 300

Locked? Describe locked.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

With all the boost leak tests i would say fuel cut.

Quick Reply: Breaking up/Jerking & other problems