Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Magnus Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
Has anyone who has commented in this thread actually had an engine from Magnus? If not, I don't think your comments are very valuable to the OP.

And just because someone can build an engine that makes a strong 1/4 mile pass does not make someone a good engine builder to recommend. First of all, it says nothing about how "straight up and honest" the builder is... which is probably the most important quality of an engine builder. Also, the tolerances, materials used, etc will be way different for Rau than your average evo owner.

Just my 2 cents.
Yeah I commented in this thread. No I don't have a Magnus built Evo... and Ill re-quote myself:

Originally Posted by compscibOi
Any company that builds a turbocharged 4 cylinder 4G63 and can go 6.94 @ 198.47 builds amazing engines and can tune.
I'm sorry but you have to be doing something right to go that fast and quick. Owning a part from the company has nothing to do with it and shouldn't warrant someone commenting on their capabilities to build engines and make them reliable.

Thanks...
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a magnus 2.4L motor in my Talon that is still in the car today and it is on a mission to destroy the rest of the car. At 31psi it made 603whp and has destroyed approx 10 dsm transmissions. It has taken tons of abuse and has never failed. It ran 11.3@131 in 95* heat at the DSM shootout in 2003 in a full weight car. Marco is the champagne of the EVO/DSM world, too bad I am on a beer budget or I would have a Magnus Longblock in my evo.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:37 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by batty200
I had a magnus 2.4L motor in my Talon that is still in the car today and it is on a mission to destroy the rest of the car. At 31psi it made 603whp and has destroyed approx 10 dsm transmissions. It has taken tons of abuse and has never failed. It ran 11.3@131 in 95* heat at the DSM shootout in 2003 in a full weight car. Marco is the champagne of the EVO/DSM world, too bad I am on a beer budget or I would have a Magnus Longblock in my evo.
Good analogy.

I have seen longblocks in the $13,000 range from Marco.

It appears he had his hand in that fully tube frame carbon fiber Evo as well rumored to cost in the area of $500,000 to build.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 08:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your looking for a 2.1L i would consider the Buschur racing 2.1L Motor.. Proven in an evo down to the 9.1 range.. We are using them with great success as well.. You can buy the internals as a kit and assemble or have it built by BR as well.. Below is a link to the Kit & Package..

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...e6342f9aa7ea01

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...e6342f9aa7ea01

You dont need anything more than a stock 4g63 Crank.. We have made 1000whp with no issues and run 8's in 2 cars also without any issues..

Also i noticed your signature as well.. Buschur and Tobz i know work together so that might be a deciding factor as well.. Any questions let me know.. Good luck!!

Mike
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Also i noticed your signature as well.. Buschur and Tobz i know work together so that might be a deciding factor as well.. Any questions let me know.. Good luck!!
Mike,

I'm thinking of a 2.2L after talking to Marco. I know that Tobz works with Buschur and talks to him almost every week. Does Buschur have the makings to build a 2.2L Long rod??? Should I shoot him a PM??? Let me know your thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dambikeracer
Mike,

I'm thinking of a 2.2L after talking to Marco. I know that Tobz works with Buschur and talks to him almost every week. Does Buschur have the makings to build a 2.2L Long rod??? Should I shoot him a PM??? Let me know your thoughts?

Thanks!
Definitely something you want to run by Dave.. I know that Dave likes to test setups in his own car and PROVE the work before releasing anything.. It wont hurt to shoot him a PM and ask.. Good luck!!

Mike
Old Feb 12, 2010, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

I prepaid for a crate motor for Magnus, brand new Evo cylinder head and Marco sourced a great condition 4G64. Marco promised 3 months and he took over a year. I would call him once every couple of weeks in the last few months because I was pretty pissed he was so late, and every time he would lie and say next week, next week. Eventually he started lying about how far along he was.

When Marco finally shipped the motor, my freight forwarder in Canada refused to accept the motor boxed how it was because there was no skid! I had Marco take the motor back to his shop and put a skid on it.

When I got the motor, first thing I noticed was Marco had ported my head too far on one of the exhaust dividers, and had to patch it up by welding it, and it looked a mess. Remember, this was a brand new head to start. Marco never let me know how bad it was. Also, from my inexperienced eyes he did NO valve bowl work on the head.

When I installed the motor, and had everything buttoned up, I go to fill the car with coolant, and coolant starts pouring out of the timing belt side of the motor. Marco put the wrong water pump on the motor. At this point I was pissed as hell and said I wanted to send the whole motor back to him. He said no.

I replaced the timing belt and Marco and sent the right water pump, after that all was well. With about 30 miles on the motor and after tuning for race and pump gas, the oil pump walked in the front cover. I replaced the front cover, oil pump, etc and replaced main and rod bearings just in case.

The Magnus intake manifold they sent me along with the motor did not have the throttle cable tab welded on. I had to fab that. Also no gasket between the manifold and adapter for stock TB. Also, the nuts to fix the adapter to the manifold were too long and needed grinding down.

Now if you think all that sounds bad, I can't even begin to describe to you how painful it was dealing with Magnus. I'd have to wait days and days for them to send the right water pump. Gather some parts for the front cover. Most of which I paid for. They would lie, they would bluff, it was a nightmare. I was patient as well with them, waited over a year for that motor, endured so much mistakes, and they were still not attentive to help me out and get a water pump to me quickly or whatever. Nightmare.

Oh and one of the biggest reasons I chose Magnus, the build sheet! And guess what, after asking dozens of times I never got it!

Also, after quite a while I realized the head was leaking oil, as could be seen when I would take off the header, you could see oil coming down the valves. Turns out Marco put the wrong valve stem seals in for the springs I was running. So I had to fix that as well later on.

Now I never posted this before, because I was so friggen exhausted after dealing with Magnus, I just could not be bothered to have anymore drama. And threads about Magnus on these boards are few and far between. But with this and the other thread going on, I felt compelled to tell my story and warn people.

Now I'll finish all this off by saying, that apart from all that ****, the motor has been strong for 3 years now. Yes I add oil every month, but I love my car and I do give Magnus credit for making a motor that has lasted me. But man, I would never, ever, in a million years deal with them again.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

I prepaid for a crate motor for Magnus, brand new Evo cylinder head and Marco sourced a great condition 4G64. Marco promised 3 months and he took over a year. I would call him once every couple of weeks in the last few months because I was pretty pissed he was so late, and every time he would lie and say next week, next week. Eventually he started lying about how far along he was.

When Marco finally shipped the motor, my freight forwarder in Canada refused to accept the motor boxed how it was because there was no skid! I had Marco take the motor back to his shop and put a skid on it.

When I got the motor, first thing I noticed was Marco had ported my head too far on one of the exhaust dividers, and had to patch it up by welding it, and it looked a mess. Remember, this was a brand new head to start. Marco never let me know how bad it was. Also, from my inexperienced eyes he did NO valve bowl work on the head.

When I installed the motor, and had everything buttoned up, I go to fill the car with coolant, and coolant starts pouring out of the timing belt side of the motor. Marco put the wrong water pump on the motor. At this point I was pissed as hell and said I wanted to send the whole motor back to him. He said no.

I replaced the timing belt and Marco and sent the right water pump, after that all was well. With about 30 miles on the motor and after tuning for race and pump gas, the oil pump walked in the front cover. I replaced the front cover, oil pump, etc and replaced main and rod bearings just in case.

The Magnus intake manifold they sent me along with the motor did not have the throttle cable tab welded on. I had to fab that. Also no gasket between the manifold and adapter for stock TB. Also, the nuts to fix the adapter to the manifold were too long and needed grinding down.

Now if you think all that sounds bad, I can't even begin to describe to you how painful it was dealing with Magnus. I'd have to wait days and days for them to send the right water pump. Gather some parts for the front cover. Most of which I paid for. They would lie, they would bluff, it was a nightmare. I was patient as well with them, waited over a year for that motor, endured so much mistakes, and they were still not attentive to help me out and get a water pump to me quickly or whatever. Nightmare.

Oh and one of the biggest reasons I chose Magnus, the build sheet! And guess what, after asking dozens of times I never got it!

Also, after quite a while I realized the head was leaking oil, as could be seen when I would take off the header, you could see oil coming down the valves. Turns out Marco put the wrong valve stem seals in for the springs I was running. So I had to fix that as well later on.

Now I never posted this before, because I was so friggen exhausted after dealing with Magnus, I just could not be bothered to have anymore drama. And threads about Magnus on these boards are few and far between. But with this and the other thread going on, I felt compelled to tell my story and warn people.

Now I'll finish all this off by saying, that apart from all that ****, the motor has been strong for 3 years now. Yes I add oil every month, but I love my car and I do give Magnus credit for making a motor that has lasted me. But man, I would never, ever, in a million years deal with them again.

Well that sounds like a lot of....fun... Sorry to hear that.

Glad everything eventually worked out for you though

-Bink

Last edited by binky; Feb 13, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:11 AM
Account Disabled

Sounds like they could work on their customer service. A happy customer not only comes back for more, but spreads the word if they are truly satisfied.

Sorry to read that crcain. Knowing what you know now, and if you had to do it all over again, who would you have gone to for the build any why?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

This is the only person in this thread with ANY information on the Original Posters question...
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by compscibOi
Sounds like they could work on their customer service. A happy customer not only comes back for more, but spreads the word if they are truly satisfied.

Sorry to read that crcain. Knowing what you know now, and if you had to do it all over again, who would you have gone to for the build any why?
I've had close friends with Buschur, AMS, 94AWDcoupe, and JAM motors. Then myself with the Magnus. Out of all them my buddy with the Buschur motor has IMHO been the quietest, and least problematic of them all. My friend with the Buschur motor also went 11.1 on an Evo 9 turbo with stock IC/intake mani/exhaust mani/tb/intake.

But as I said before, stick to peoples opinions who have actually owned the motors.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Not to get off topic and I don't want anything to do with even discussing engines. I wonder with what we know now how fast our old tube car would be today.........I think my RS makes more power than it ever did with just the HTA86 on it! Hell we ran 7.8 at 174.8 in 2002 (at the time the quickest and fastest) on the stock DSM computer with an HKS VPC/GCC piggybacked, T67 Ptrim turbo, 660cc injectors and no more than a 100 shot of nitrous. Very lame by todays standards, still quick and fast even now.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Marco's aight I guess!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

I'd talk to JB about doing a 2.2, I know he is switching to a 2.1 because it didn't have enough rev's for him. I know your a drag racer bro so I would stick with a 2.1.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
I'd talk to JB about doing a 2.2, I know he is switching to a 2.1 because it didn't have enough rev's for him. I know your a drag racer bro so I would stick with a 2.1.
Ya, I thought I wanted to go with the 2.1 but the more I look into it, I think I want to go with the 2.2L high compression build. I figure the 2.2L 4G64 long rod will rev to 10k and I don't think I will need to go that high with the FP Black. I would like to be the first Evo in Colorado in the 9's and doing it only with the new FP Black!

After following Buschur Project White, I want to see if I can set some records with the 2.2L!

Quick Reply: Magnus Engine Build