Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Magnus Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dambikeracer
Ya, I thought I wanted to go with the 2.1 but the more I look into it, I think I want to go with the 2.2L high compression build. I figure the 2.2L 4G64 long rod will rev to 10k and I don't think I will need to go that high with the FP Black. I would like to be the first Evo in Colorado in the 9's and doing it only with the new FP Black!

After following Buschur Project White, I want to see if I can set some records with the 2.2L!
Good luck brother. I personally dont think it can be done(at least this high up), it took a 100 shot and a hta88 to get mark a 10.2.

Either way I'll be rooting for ya.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
dambikeracer, Project White was a 2.3.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
dambikeracer, Project White was a 2.3.
Yes I know, at first I was going to get one of your 2.0 because of all the drag records it had set! I never wanted to do a 2.3. After you introduced the new 2.1L I thought I had made up my mind. I told Tobz I wanted the 2.1 just last week. Now, I think I want to go with the 2.2L 4G64 for more TQ to be different to see what it's got. If it can rev to 9500-10k to put me in the 650WHP and 600+ WTQ. With my driving, that should be good for low 10's to high 9's at 5680 elevation.

I look to be educated with this build as it is my first evo motor build. Thanks Dave!

Last edited by dambikeracer; Feb 13, 2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
dambikeracer, I have all the Magnus rotating parts here for a high compression 2.2L 92mm stroker in a 4g63 block. You'd be welcome to take a look at the quality of the parts if you like.

It will be going together later this spring...
Old Feb 13, 2010, 02:14 PM

Magnus' side of the story

Wow, now our side of this story, take a deep breath this is one long story

When I first got to deal with Brandon I thought he was a very decent guy, and I spoke with him in great length for hours on this motor build. When unexpected delays came about, Brandon instead of reasonably dealing with the problem. Started to become very angry and began to yell at me and my employees. one of the craziest customers we have ever had to deal with. To try and stop his phone calls and continual harassment we bent over backwards in ways I never have for anyone. I made outrageous offers as compensation for the late engine. I spent long hours with him on the phone, and answering his emails. I just wanted to make the whole situation correct. Looking back I wished we’d never crossed paths, but I did learn a lot.
I have over 100 emails saved of his. There were hundreds of phone calls, he single handedly drove my entire staff crazy, and then we found out he also operates under as far as we know two different alias’s, in the end he tried to screw us out of 700 dollars with a visa chargeback. I called around to some other shops and asked if they had dealt with him, and of course they knew all about him, did but under a different name, they told me to stay far clear of him, and knew all about him because of his calls to their shops and his posts on evom, but unfortunately I was already underway with his motor build. As the owner of a business which has operated for 14 years, we have had our fair share of troubling customers, but the harassment that came from this guy was legendary, and as you can see he still has a bone to pick. The problem with the internet is people feel they have the power at their fingertips to destroy someone’s ’reputation’ or business as they see fit, but reputation thank god, is based on other factors, not just a few bad experiences. We have a file on Brandon/ CRCAIN about an inch thick, because when I sense that a guy is becoming trouble, we start to protect ourselves, welcome to the new world of business.
Another problem with the internet age is one persons negative post can at times speak louder than proven facts. This post by Brandon/ CRCAIN has been stretched so far from the truth that I feel I need to set this straight. You know the old cliché “There are 2 sides to every story” Well now I will tell ours.
I'm sure everyone else can see by the way he posts on this message board, how opinionated he can be. But after my dealings with Brandon/ CRCAIN I can tell you that no matter what you tell him, he really only hears what he wants to hear. Looking back now, I think we had become his enemy instead of the engine builder. Looking back at the mass emails he would send to his friends bashing our business (that we were included on), I wonder If somebody else was influencing him with some of these requests, as some of his requests were absolutely out of control. This was a saga, that I would long soon like to forget about. I particularly like how he embellished the story, yet left out most of his shenanigans as well.

I’ll address some of his points. His freight forwarder refused to come pick up from our location, which was strange because, freight companies always pick up from us. So I agreed to load the motor in my truck and take it myself. It turned out the freight forwarders was a huge warehouse at the airport, where we had to directly load the motor off the ramp and they filled large pallets that get fed into the bellies of airplanes. For them to come pick up from my door would have cost more money. I had no issues dropping the motor off personally.
I will now go into detail about our engine packing procedure, I do not send my motors on skids wrapped in paper or wire tied to a skid, our motors come professionally packed. They are sealed, wrapped and then encased in their box. People who have ordered our motors say they are the best packed motors they have ever seen, comparing the box to a fortress. We build a crate around a motor so it can accidentally fall off a truck and not get damaged. When we ship motors around the world, sometimes this can happen. We normally use a standard wooden box that we can purchase. In this case we were going back and forth with him to save him some money on shipping, we custom built a tighter wooden box to save money. A warehouse goon, decided that he didn't want to shrink his forks on his forklift, to pick up the crate so they could load it, so they refused the crate. He said it was no good. At this point I argued with him, he wanted a larger place to pick up from, I said shrink the forks, he didn’t want any part of it. Packing it on an entire skid for airfreight would quadruple the shipping charge. Others in the warehouse thought the guy was crazy, but I was turned away. Brandon at this point thought I was lying about everything, flat out accused me of it, yelled and screamed at me. It was becoming way too much to bear. When I informed him of the situation, He only became worse. I called the warehouse and spoke to another representative and he assured me that that guy was having a bad day, and it wouldn’t be a problem if I brought it to him. I returned the very same crate the next day and dealt with a different person at the warehouse, and they loaded the crate just fine. Apparently, somebody had informed Brandon that my crate was substandard and could not be loaded.

We did provide him with the wrong water pump, as anyone may know, the 4G64 requires a modified pump. To my embarrassment I had installed a standard evo water pump by mistake instead of my modified one. Not a huge problem, but a problem nonetheless. Returning the entire motor didn’t make any financial sense. As a matter of fact I even offered, to go to Antigua, where I had been before, and personally install it for him because he felt uncomfortable with it. All on my own dime. At that moment, I may not have been thinking clearly, but I thought it was the only way to make sure that everything would go smoothly. Instead when he calmed down, I walked him though the installation procedure and over nighted him a new pump as soon as it was ready. He agreed to install it.

On the cylinder head situation, this was one of the problems we ran across during his build that caused a large delay, after the porting and pressure testing of this cylinder head we found a problem, that I thoroughly explained to him, that we would need order a new head, he did not want to wait. I said it could be repaired quickly if time was of the essence. He opted to accept the repair in order to get it speedily.
After he received it and he was unhappy with it, I again offered him the same deal I had before, I would replace it with a brand new unit, because I wanted him to be comfortable with his purchase. I believe the time issue again was the problem, as his tuner was scheduled to come from UK and he would not be able to change the date he had made with the tuner. I offered to tune it for him free of charge, and I would fly down and do the whole job myself, again stepping above and beyond where I would normally step. I just wanted to make everything right.
As for the Intake manifold, there never was a gasket for that custom adaptor flange we made for him, it was to be put on with sealant which I tried to explain to him but it wasn’t acceptable to him.
About the oil pump, well this where it starts getting better. He called and was civil, if I remember correctly, and wanted to know why the oil pump was no good. In our years of research and experience there is only one way for the oil pump to go bad. If there is aeration and the pump does not pickup oil for whatever reason, hard cornering, high rpm, or just not enough oil, the pump will be wiped. This is just a 4G63/4G64 problem, no secret balance shaft mod can help you, if it is starved of oil it will die. There is no voodoo, no magic, if the shaft gets no oil it will fail quickly. I told him that if his oil pump had died, he had better replace the bearings, because they would be damaged and the oil would be contaminated, I also explained to him in detail how to go about doing it and flush the motor clear of any contaminants. I’m sure he did so because he was soon successfully up and running again and the motor is running to this day.
Then he is complaining of excessive oil consumption and smoking. As for the allegations that the cylinder head was leaking oil, we (wrongly in hindsight) assumed that the ancillaries of the car were in healthy working order, but when he showed us pictures, of the engine assembly with the head dismantled, we could not figure it out the problem. I ‘mentioned’ to him that it might be valve seals because of the symptoms, but it was weird, because of the problem he was describing. Still at this point I had no idea what was going on with his motor until I got the head back. Well after inspection of the cylinder head there was nothing we could find that was causing the oil leak, the cylinder head was in good condition on those fronts, yet the exhaust ports were absolutely coated in oil and so was the combustion chamber. We had just started using a new style valvespring, he had the old supertechs that used a narrow valveseal, that at super high rpm’s could have valves seal issues, but this being a 2.4 didn’t rev that high. I decided to upgrade him to brand new springs and seals anyway at no charge, after all it was good practice if we have the head apart. After more inspection, I found that the head was warped. I found that odd. When I looked more carefully there was evidence of overheating so I quickly looked for our telltale heat tab which we install on all our heads. The telltale if it is missing and is melted will indicate that the motor has exceeded 250 degrees. Well, It was melted away. Most people will not have heard of these, but they tell the story one hundred percent of the time.
http://www.silver-seal.com/category/...g.2_heat_tabs/

I asked him if he had overheated the motor. He responded no I didn’t. I told him about the telltale, then he said it may have gotten a little hot. 250 degrees is not a little hot, it’s enough to cause damage which is what happened. I then asked him for piston and block pictures. Oil was all over his pistons, which was very strange. So now I realized that what he tells me is not the entire truth. I also got to thinking as to what would cause the oil leakage, when I looked through some of the pictures he had emailed in the past of the engine bay, I carefully looked at the installation of the engine, and noticed what I had asked him about previously. I had asked if he had a good catch can. He said yes he did.

He may have a had a nice catch can but it was not vented. His motor was absolutely sealed and could not vent the crankcase gases. This was causing oil to come up through the rings and be burned in the engine. For a 500hp – 600hp engine to be run with no crankcase pressure ventilation is bad news as oil entering the combustion chamber will lower the detonation threshold of the fuel. Not to mention the annoying oil leaks it can cause, and of course it causes excessive smoking as what was happening with his motor. Before this I was really beginning to think it was all a bad luck scenario on our part, but in this case it was installer error. Luckily the soundness of the engine and the detonation resistance of our engines, he didn’t batter it to hell, but I’m sure there could have been some form of damage, although I have never inspected his motor after all this, this could also be part of his oil consumption issue now that I see he has mentioned.
Although we removed .020” from the now overheated and warped cylinder head, he wished that a .020 thicker gasket be sent back to him. We just didn’t stock that part. This is when things went very sour with Brandon/CRCAIN, a gasket could not be sourced in what he deemed an appropriate amount of time, and we exhaust all of our resources trying to find one, we would not have one in the time he wanted. He absolutely lost his mind on the phone with me, he was in a blind fit of rage, I had to hang up. Then came the barrage of emails etc, and this continued for days. Finally he said he just wanted his cylinder head and he would find the head gasket he wanted on his own. We told him that because the cylinder head had been over heated he would have to pay for the repair, he said fine, just overnight it. Overnight to Antigua is 200 dollars, he received his cylinder head, he kept calling and calling until it showed up to his door, then we never heard from him again.

His incessant complaints and screaming matches that he put my business through in those days for something that could have been handled in amicably, actually drove everybody who worked here crazy, it’s kind of unbelievable how someone could possibly call as often as he did, email as often as he did, and rant and rave on the phone like a madman screaming at the top of his lungs and actually I think at one point weeping.

In closing, I don’t wish any harm on Brandon/CRCAIN . Maybe under different circumstances everything could have worked out and he would have been a happy customer. I did go to great lengths to try and satisfy him, He did also say that he was going to go on the internet and ruin my reputation. Well a few years later, here he is. I guess in the end the situation isn’t all that bad. Although I don’t know how he could ruin my reputation when I repeatedly offered to fly out to a Caribbean island and repair his car for him in his garage. Still when we look at it, this engine was given to a person who couldn’t install a catch can properly, did not put enough oil in his engine, and could not tell when his engine was overheating, then denied it ever overheated. Yet still the engine runs, and by his own admission it runs well.
So you see it didn’t matter what I did for Brandon, it was clearly not enough, and as he mentioned he was exhausted with dealing with me as I was with him. Although I would not end dealing with him until the situation had been set right. After he was for lack of a better, word satisfied, because I don’t think after the problems that we went through anything that we could do would satisfy him.

As mentioned we have all documentation on everything that we went through with Brandon/ CRCAIN including emails, call times, discussion notes etc. I have no interest in proving what has happened by posting any of that stuff. I am not here to make anybody look stupid, I’m just here to state my side of the story. So Brandon/CRCAIN happy posting and good luck with that motor that went through hell was run low on oil, destroyed an oil pump, was sealed off from venting, causing it to smoke excessively and was overheated. But as you stated you “love your car to this day runs well” Although there are two stories to this thread, it sounds to me like you are happy with your car. And if you don’t return as a customer that’s fine, we know you won’t need a motor cause this one is a soldier.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice to hear the "other" side of this story. There is always 2 sides to a story... And it was VERY hard for me to believe that Marco would just screw someone over as was the story being told from one side....
Old Feb 13, 2010, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Wow for Marco
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Just a quick post now as I just got home. I truly enjoyed reading that Marco!

First, in the spirit of forgiveness, let me say I'm glad you didn't lie to the max! I thought you would! Good man.

Let me try as best I can to make this succint....

First point, the money issue, if I recall, I wired Marco either 12 or 13k to build this motor upfront. The water pump and timing belt I think Marco paid for when I had to fix that mistake. The oil pump, front cover, bs elminate kit, another timing belt, bearings etc I paid for. The fixing of the cylinder head to identify why the oil was coming onto the valves through the top of the head, I paid to ship to Marco, but he took so long to deal with it, I finally was fed up and yes, oh the horror, screamed at him because I was fed the **** up, and said ship my ****in head back to me, I don't care what state is in, I'm through with you. He shipped it back, and what do I see on my cc statement? Seven hundred bucks. Now... there was no way I was gonna pay this, when I know idea what Marco even did to the head. He said he skimmed it, but didn't tell me by how much! After paying Marco 13k US for this nightmare, I wasn't gonna be charged $700 usd to fix what was, as he admitted, his problem with the valve seals.

You lot can decide who got shafted here... Marco paid for a timing belt, to fix a head, and to ship the head to me. I paid 13k. Give me a break.

Second point, the "catch can" story! This my friends is a good one! I ran a Cusco catch then, Buschur now. The setup which Marco has fancifully, and I'll just say it straight out, LIED about in his post above, was a K&N breather on the right side, and a 5/16" fuel line running to a Cusco catch can, with the other side of the Cusco can having another line going to another K&N breather towards the wheel well. The only kernel of truth to this crankcase breathing story, is that Marco did tell me to drill out my valve cover for larger nipples. I did not do what Marco recommended, and instead removed the ball and spring from the stock rear valve/fitting.

Third point, temperature, I'll admit I did run the car up to 120c coolant, I had to do this to try to figure out the source of the oil leak from the oil pump walking. Meaning I had to run the car with accessory belt off for a bit. I thought 120c would be safe for idling, so stopped there. Does 120c warp the head? I dunno and it has zero relevance to my complaints with Magnus. What does it mean? Well let's say I was wrong to let it go 120c? So what? Yes Marco may have to skim the head while he had the head to fix the wrong seals. Great, so what?

Fourth point, I had my Evo relatively standard for about 6 years. Then I ended up buying a built motor for cheap from someone down here. The motor spun bearings shortly after because it drank oil like a mother****er and I didn't check it every day. After this was the Magnus, and you can be damn sure I checked the oil like a mother****er, on top of having an AiM dash that displayed oil pressure, temp, afr, knock, rpm, gear, speed, intake temp, egt, etc. I still have the dash running like this to this day. Anyone want pictures? I'll be happy to provide to show I've watched this motor like a hawk from day one. So, did I run the engine low of oil or pressure, no. Does it matter anyways? No. I never accused Marco of being the reason the oil pump sprocket walked... with this type of thing, you never know. But I find it odd Marco likes to insist in his post I neglected this car. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Fifth point and I've lost my train of thought... lol. Maybe there isn't a fifth point, to tell you the truth I can't be bothered. Marco would have you believe I was the customer from hell and called 5 times a day. Wrong. Yes I called once a week after he was half a year late. He'd tell me next week, next week, whatever. I was patient. But after I saw my brand new head's #4 exhaust divider welded up, the water pump wrong, and knowing these guys were already shady, I'll admit, I had a ****en fit after waiting a year and paying 13k. I told him I wanted to send the motor back because I was AFRAID this motor would be a LEMON. Marco said no. Sure I blew up. Who wouldn't.

Later, when the valve seals issue emerged, I got more pissed. Why? Because he couldn't tell me how much he skimmed off my head so I could know what thickness hks gasket to use! On top of that, I had measure my own gasket with my mic because I never got a build sheet on the ****en motor!

**** it... I'm so pissed I even got into this ****ing thing. I knew it would be like this if I ever posted my story. Why did I wait 3 years to post this? Because of my conscious! Seeing people thinking about a Magnus motor. ******* conscious.

Oh and Marco, please do not pretend to threaten me with emails. Post'em up buddy!

Last point that came to my mind, this notion of Marco mentioning about 4 or 5 of my friends in the CC of my emails? I did this because I was afraid I was getting STIFFED of 13 thousand dollars, and I was CC'ing my friends when emailing Marco because I wanted Marco to know I wasn't this one lonely guy in the islands he could manage to **** UP THE ***.

Lord what a waste of my breath my god. All so some newb on evom can have a better experience than I did. crcain / brandon / evom member since 2002 / mlr member username cohagen since 2000.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

You couldnt pay me 13k to deal with Crcain.. Sometimes not only do you have to do your homework on your Vendors but i do mine on customers as well.. Notes saved from this one..

Mike
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SloRice
crcain - Do you need some Neosporin for those sick burns?!?!

to magnus for telling the credible side of the story.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by crcain
You truly are dumber than I thought. Maybe I should buy you the cliff notes version of this thread for you.

Let me ask you a simple question, why in gods green earth, if I was the customer from hell, wouldn't Marco send me back the 13k he had of mine for over a year before he sent me one damn thing?

Hope thats clear enough for your fat ****en head.
You truly are an even bigger PITA baby then i ever thought.. I thought you were just an Forum Tyrant.. You single handedly probably could have put magnus out of business.. I would have sent you 15k back to never call me again..

Mike
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
You couldnt pay me 13k to deal with Crcain.. Sometimes not only do you have to do your homework on your Vendors but i do mine on customers as well.. Notes saved from this one..

Mike
Yeah because I'm sure in your thick, twisted head, you couldn't stand to have a customer yell at you when you were a year late and lying to them about delivery of a 13k crate motor.

Let it be clear, I called Marco once a week, at around the 9 month mark, until he delivered the motor around the 12 month mark. Once delivered, I called Marco as problems arose or I needed questions answered like, "hey, can I have my build sheet?".

Mike@AWD, you taking Magnus' side on this really shows the type of intellect you have.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
You truly are an even bigger PITA baby then i ever thought.. I thought you were just an Forum Tyrant.. You single handedly probably could have put magnus out of business.. I would have sent you 15k back to never call me again..

Mike
Mike, you're like talking to a woman. No logic!

Oh well... I won't even try to argue with you on this point. That's the tact I've learned when a girl is PMS'ing... I'll try to use it on you and see what comes of it!
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Dave Buschur... you've had my back before... get your dogs off me for christ sake. If you've been able to stand to read all this drivel, then I KNOW, that YOU KNOW, that Magnus SHAFTED me on this whole thing. You know this because of what Magnus did not refute.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

I have spoken to Marco on the phone a while back, don't know if he even remembers, but he was VERY helpful, funny as **** and provided me some good technical information... I purchased his V5 intake manifold shortly afterwards, great performing product, and find Marco to be straight up no b.s. guy - much like myself...

I've never met or spoken to crcain, but from reading his post and his 'I'm always right attitude' on the forum even when he's dead wrong is enough for me to side 100% with Marco on this issue...

Quick Reply: Magnus Engine Build