Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

CRITICAL! help me! problem with new turbo.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 20gmr
I just used a ix actuator on viii turbo today, atleast I think. I had the actuator extra laying around it may have been from an viii. I honestly can't remember anymore
You can physically get them to fit however the angle of the arm will be wrong and can prevent the wastegate from opening properly leading to boost creep and or overboost.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats what is confusing me about my whole setup. i tried the actuator that came with my fp red and it didnt line up with the hole but it didnt bump the j pipe. the other one that came with my bbk full lines up find but the actuator presses against the j pipe a little bit
Old Feb 15, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

so this is the email CBRD sent me.

"I dont recall ever machining a double flapper turbine housing for any BBK, typically we wouldnt do that,

if you can get the client's name from the person you bought it from would be helpful!

cb"

i knew something was wrong so i dont know how but the previous owner either made his own hotside or something. i am so lost for words right now and its been 3 days since i emailed the seller and havent heard anything back. i just cant believe this...he has like an itrader rating of 150+ and they are all positive.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Man you are WAY to quick to immediately blame the seller and jump all over everyone Calm down a bit. People are in here trying to help you and all. And if the "$1000 in college" is such a huge deal, than mabye you shouldnt have spent it at all. Before you accuse anyone of anything...try waiting for solid evidence. Just because CBRD doesnt "recall" it, doesnt mean it didnt happen. They do ALLLOT of work, may easily forget.

Wait it out for solid answers, and figure out exactly whats going on..rather than what you "think" is going on

-Alex
Old Feb 15, 2010, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

i was selling my fp red for 1k to break even with the switch so i wasnt actually spending anything but now that i sold my fp red and have a fuc*ed up turbo i am down $1K...

how about i sell you the turbo for 1k and not respond to your pm's and see if you like it. im panicking because CBRD knows their sh*t and i sent them many pictures of the turbo. i drove it today and the wastegate is stuck open or something because i sounds like i have open headers on my car.

and to further pove why im freaking out. the pin that you use to line up the hotside with the rest of the turbo is broken off.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Again, you are jumping to conclusions. You dont know you have a ****ed up turbo man. As others have said, you do NOT have the knowledge that you need to be dealing with this situation. Mabye you should consider sending the turbo to cbrd/blouch and have them take a look, and fix it as needed. That way there are no "questions".
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

I assume the seller is on this forum, so check to see when the last time he visited the site and you will know if hes been ignoring your PMs. The BBks mostly use the single flapper hotside as those are the desirable units. The wastegate rod is no big deal and isnt supposed to line up with the flapper arm, there is concern if its an 03-04 actuater though.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by warp9
I assume the seller is on this forum, so check to see when the last time he visited the site and you will know if hes been ignoring your PMs. The BBks mostly use the single flapper hotside as those are the desirable units. The wastegate rod is no big deal and isnt supposed to line up with the flapper arm, there is concern if its an 03-04 actuater though.
yeah after researching i realize that i can use a 2005 evo 8 hotside. the problem is, is that the wastegate is staying open because it was bent when i got it. also i feel like sending pictures to CBRD and getting their idea on the turbo is the most proof i can get. i know they do a lot of work but he specifically said that something doesnt seem right and doesnt ever remember making a bbk full with a dual flapper design hotside.

so then i though ok well no big deal...maybe the guy had a bbk full and then put a different hotside on it. even if that is ok, the pin was cracked off and there are welding beads on the turbo.

i know he is an honest seller. i think the problem is, is that he traded with someone and they had an o2 housing on there so he couldnt see that the wastegate design was different. all in all i am not at fault with that, i got a bbk full that is unordinary and i dont feel like i got what was advertised.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

So maybe the seller swapped actuators not realizing the 8 wga wont work for you. Ket yourself a 9 wga and go from there
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

yeah it could be that but the actual wastegate in the hotside is the dual flapper design and i guess CBRD said that they have only done the evo 9 single port ones.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear about your problems. The only way to figure it out is walk away for a bit find a local with a 9 wastegate actuator try it out and go from there.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

the wastegate actuator is the least of my worries....im worrying about the actual wastegate in the hotside...either way i have to take the whole turbo back out of my friggen car which sucks.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Can I ask why you changed from the FP red?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:33 PM

When I did my full BBK, I needed an entire IX core b/c I have an 8. I also needed the IX wastegate to fit, plus the IX oil return lines. I'd get myself a IX wastegate and go from there, that should hopefully solve your dilema. I can tell you that I don't believe CBRD made a wastegate with a dual-flap design as what comes stock with the 8 wastegate and I know mine is a large single 'flap.' From what Chad at CBRD had told me, the 8 will not work with the BBK's IX turbo housing as it seems you've learned the hard way. Sorry for your problems! Give Chad a call, I'm sure he'll hook ya up.

Last edited by Alter Evo; Feb 15, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DBallz
Can I ask why you changed from the FP red?
i just wanted to try something with quicker spool. i lose interest quickly.

as for the wastegate...i would have no problem gettin a nine actuator but its the whole hotside that is different. if i dont get my money back for whatever reason i guess ill have to take it back out of my car and send it to CBRD to see if they can fix whatever is messed up

Quick Reply: CRITICAL! help me! problem with new turbo.