Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Nisei fmic

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010 | 10:27 PM

Thanks for all the comments, glad to see the Nisei unit is still a contender. Just didnt understand why you dont see alot of guys running it or talk about it. As Chad said it didnt do anything MORE special then the CBRD unit, but for 600 buck I would expect it to, but for the unit to be on par with a CBRD unit especially with some of the cast tanks ive seen on the Nisie it makes it a logical budget choice for me. Hey Chad you still got my buisness on a radiator though, no doubt about those being #1
Old Feb 15, 2010 | 11:17 PM

Another pic i found of the Nisie with the nice looking end tanks...ohhh shiny..lol
Attached Thumbnails Nisei fmic-completekitvs01.jpg  
Old Feb 16, 2010 | 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Nisie early streetcore was best on the planet for removing heat . It by far has more fin density than anything currently made. This includes the garret high density cores that CBRD and Buschur use. The cost was it has the highest pressure drop of any core. I would say its a great choice for up to about 500whp setups. after that a free-er flowing core would work better.
Old Feb 16, 2010 | 06:39 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Nisie early streetcore was best on the planet for removing heat . It by far has more fin density than anything currently made. This includes the garret high density cores that CBRD and Buschur use. The cost was it has the highest pressure drop of any core. I would say its a great choice for up to about 500whp setups. after that a free-er flowing core would work better.
I did notice the size of the fins on the Nisei cores... they looked like they were around 1/4" as opposed to the larger 3/8" that the garrett and quite a few others offer!

I dont have any issue with it, I just have to be entertaining and comment on ours...

we aren't a "selly" or "high pressure" company, typically I say things in sarcasm.... we are the last people you'll see bash another product since there are many nice ones out there.

cb
Old Feb 16, 2010 | 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by soceur77
Thanks for all the comments, glad to see the Nisei unit is still a contender. Just didnt understand why you dont see alot of guys running it or talk about it. As Chad said it didnt do anything MORE special then the CBRD unit, but for 600 buck I would expect it to, but for the unit to be on par with a CBRD unit especially with some of the cast tanks ive seen on the Nisie it makes it a logical budget choice for me. Hey Chad you still got my buisness on a radiator though, no doubt about those being #1
Well, I hope you don't feel it's a budget choice for you because, you are really getting quality stuff beyond price. I know we put on the specials for you guys to take advantage of our sales.

Here are a couple of fun facts for you guys looking at FMIC's:
1) Nisei Engineering does develop (design their own cores) meaning they make to their specification including Dimensions / Fin Configuration/Geometry.. Not purchase a "off the shelf unit" and then apply to vehicle application.
2) They have tested directly against other makers such as AMS, HKS, AVO, ARC, Greddy, Buschr Racing (several designs) Note: ETS did not exist at the time this was taking place.
3) Dave Buschr himself tested their "Race Core vs Nisei Street Core" but never published the documents. Not to mention no specific details as to temp and drop, just whp #. Note : Never tested against Competition FMIC. (Nisei Engineering did try to test Competition against Buschr Race but, call for details)
4) Nisei "Street" FMIC has been discontinued ever since the release of the "Competition" FMIC. Difference between the 2 units is mainly the Fin Configuration & Geometry :

Spec's difference:
a) Core ONLY Dimension - Street - 25L" x 12.625H x 3.5"W / Competition- 25"L x 12.625H x 3.7"W
b) Fin Config/Geometry - Street - 12.5 FPI Square Split / Competition - 9 FPI Bank
c) Cooling Passages - Street = 23 / Comp = 23
d) Pressure Drop cross core (based on stock turbo) - Street - 1.6 max @ 24psi / Comp - .7 max @ 24psi

Here are the tests that were listed off their site and if you want to read about the battle Dave had on EvoM. I can find the thread... warning it's really bloody, nasty, and super LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!

Tech that was put out on web: AMS & Buschr camparison.
http://nisei-evo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26
http://nisei-evo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25

NOTE : The above applied to the "STREET" version. The "COMPETITION" has been improved by reducing amount of drop by half! While keeping outlet temps the same!

I have to state that I'm not trying to start anything, or say anything negative about any other makers products. I'm sure everyone has their own method of testing/developing products. IMHO, for myself as an enthusiast I like to see data. If another company were able to show this type of data, I would be very interested in their products as well.

Last thing how to tell a Street FMIC from Compeition FMIC :
Street - has hard edges/corners (discontinued) :

Competition - Smooth edges (current model available) -

I hope this makes you a bit more comfortable with your purchase. For you X guy's...It's FMIC is coming!

Jed

Last edited by Jedi@MaxumTec; Feb 16, 2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: show difference in the discussed products for identification.
Old Feb 16, 2010 | 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jedi@MaxumTec
Well, I hope you don't feel it's a budget choice for you because, you are really getting quality stuff beyond price. I know we put on the specials for you guys to take advantage of our sales.

Here are a couple of fun facts for you guys looking at FMIC's:
1) Nisei Engineering does develop (design their own cores) meaning they make to their specification including Dimensions / Fin Configuration/Geometry.. Not purchase a "off the shelf unit" and then apply to vehicle application.
2) They have tested directly against other makers such as AMS, HKS, AVO, ARC, Greddy, Buschr Racing (several designs) Note: ETS did not exist at the time this was taking place.
3) Dave Buschr himself tested their "Race Core vs Nisei Street Core" but never published the documents. Not to mention no specific details as to temp and drop, just whp #. Note : Never tested against Competition FMIC. (Nisei Engineering did try to test Competition against Buschr Race but, call for details)
4) Nisei "Street" FMIC has been discontinued ever since the release of the "Competition" FMIC. Difference between the 2 units is mainly the Fin Configuration & Geometry :

Spec's difference:
a) Core ONLY Dimension - Street - 25L" x 12.625H x 3.5"W / Competition- 25"L x 12.625H x 3.7"W
b) Fin Config/Geometry - Street - 12.5 FPI Square Split / Competition - 9 FPI Bank
c) Cooling Passages - Street = 23 / Comp = 23
d) Pressure Drop cross core (based on stock turbo) - Street - 1.6 max @ 24psi / Comp - .7 max @ 24psi

Here are the tests that were listed off their site and if you want to read about the battle Dave had on EvoM. I can find the thread... warning it's really bloody, nasty, and super LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!

Tech that was put out on web: AMS & Buschr camparison.
http://nisei-evo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26
http://nisei-evo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25

NOTE : The above applied to the "STREET" version. The "COMPETITION" has been improved by reducing amount of drop by half! While keeping outlet temps the same!

I have to state that I'm not trying to start anything, or say anything negative about any other makers products. I'm sure everyone has their own method of testing/developing products. IMHO, for myself as an enthusiast I like to see data. If another company were able to show this type of data, I would be very interested in their products as well.

Last thing how to tell a Street FMIC from Compeition FMIC :
Street - has hard edges/corners (discontinued) :

Competition - Smooth edges (current model available) -

I hope this makes you a bit more comfortable with your purchase. For you X guy's...It's FMIC is coming!

Jed
Thanks for chiming in, and thanks for all the info! I didnt mean to come off as the NISIE unit being a el cheapo budget unit, I just meant for the data I had gathered this unit seemed to be better or equal to most and at a lower price, it was a to good to be true moment, but a win win for me. Ill be ordering very shortly Sir!! Again thanks for the info!
Old Feb 17, 2010 | 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still rocking one of the original "street" versions and actually have MAT logs to demonstrate the performance of the core. Needless to say it controls intake temps very well and rarely see temps rise more than 5-10* on a 3rd & 4th gear pull. I would love to give the Competition version a try
Old Feb 17, 2010 | 06:59 AM
Account Disabled

LOL, i love the references to the ugly-ness of the posted information before LOL!!

like I said, I think the nisei is a nice piece, each and every fmic out there has some nice advantages and disadvantages... its hard to make a "perfect" product when not everyone has the same expectations.. our product was built specifically to our clients request's and our needs...

Cheers

cb
Old Feb 17, 2010 | 07:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Running the Nisei 3.7 w/ all the pipes & mini battery tray.......My tuner was really impressed w/ the results. (E85 @ 26.5 psi)
One downside: You cant run the lower wind tray or would need to mod it to make it fit.

Old Feb 17, 2010 | 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

I'm installing my NISEI IC and full pipes tonight when I get home. Sucks I won't be able to tune my car for couple more weeks.
Old Feb 17, 2010 | 08:26 AM
Account Disabled

running the lower tray without cutting or modifying is one of the features that designing our fmic entailed.

cb
Old Feb 17, 2010 | 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Been a proud supporter of Nisei intercooler products and always will be! Heres a couple pictures of my setup.

Nisei 3.75" Competition with alum LICP and UICP kit

Old Feb 17, 2010 | 12:09 PM

Minus and positron thanks for chiming in and the pics, your engine bays look great!
@ Chad I lost the under tray a long time ago...lol
@ xmac where did u by your Nisei unit from?
Old Feb 17, 2010 | 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by soceur77
@ xmac where did u by your Nisei unit from?
"Jedi@MaxumTec" has the best price from what I've seen, so I'd recommend you shoot him a PM.
Old Feb 17, 2010 | 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
"Jedi@MaxumTec" has the best price from what I've seen, so I'd recommend you shoot him a PM.
x2

Quick Reply: Nisei fmic