Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

David Buschur's RS/BADBISH 2010 build

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:06 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Any pics of the smaller tube setup dave? Would be cool to see a little more testing in that area, or perhaps an inbetween size? The gains in the midrange on a car that wouldn't be doing max-effort 40psi runs and instead hitting the streets at 'only' 30 are seriously impressive.

More on-topic, the car is looking hot and I love the valve-cover bolt kit is a really nice touch. Awesome setup, don't mess with it too much, have some fun with it this year!

Challenge for you? Take this car down the 1/4 mile track yourself a time or two this year. Don't publish the results, just for fun!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great job as always Dave!!!

I hope my car turns out as good.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the testing to the Buschur team. Dave, was the Fullrace header you ran 9's with have the smaller runners and any info on what the test turbo was?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:30 PM

testing rules. good job.

here is a comparison on 38mm vs 42mm runners on 2l 450hp setup on spool-up times

http://virtuaalitalo.fi/media/sarja_spooli4.gif

there is a definite effect on spool for sure. its a twin-scroll setup. no effect on the higher end power on this but with a low rev limiter and something not breathing properly on the setup.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Thanks Cris, I truly appreciate the help. The idle about had me throwing in the towel. It's weird cause my settings were very close to yours but something wasn't quite right cause as soon as I changed them to yours, BAM, rock steady idle. Thank you! I owe you dinner and a few beers.
Wait till you start playing with gear correction!

I'm sitting at home working on the Haltech. Trying to learn more about the logging and go over more of the programming. You can never learn enough. While doing this I found one of the greatest features ever for testing. This feature now allows me to compare multiple runs, boost, rpm etc. and be sure what I am comparing is equal. This make gathering data so much faster and makes it easier for my brain to grasp it. If you look at the logs of the boost, they dyno graphs look the same way. Check out this RPM vs MAP log of three of the highest WHP runs of the day with three different combinations.
Now just add some sending units so you can log oil, fuel and coolant pressure.

Last edited by crispeed; Feb 18, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Cris, I truly appreciate the help. The idle about had me throwing in the towel. It's weird cause my settings were very close to yours but something wasn't quite right cause as soon as I changed them to yours, BAM, rock steady idle. Thank you! I owe you dinner and a few beers.
Cris doesnt drink but Im sure hell accept 2 dinners..

Glad you are getting things sorted on the Haltech.. NOTHING i have used has ever run as smooth as Haltech..

Mike
Old Feb 19, 2010, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crispeed
Wait till you start playing with gear correction!

Now just add some sending units so you can log oil, fuel and coolant pressure.
You like to log coolant pressure? That sounds interesting.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crcain
You like to log coolant pressure? That sounds interesting.
Yes it is.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

i'm not trying to be an *** but why would you log cooolant pressure?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by [I.R.A.]_FBi
i'm not trying to be an *** but why would you log cooolant pressure?
My guess would be to see when the head is lifting.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crcain
My guess would be to see when the head is lifting.
bingo
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The FR header I had at one time was large tubing. The transition at the head on the small tube header we tested had a long transition built in to match the head port. The small tubing is hurting power, it's not going to get any better by putting a twin scroll turbine housing on it, better spool up but not better top end.

Spent the entire day testing today, it's nearly 5 pm and I just got sat down at my desk.

Finished the cam testing and the turbo testing.

The turbo gained a little bit up top, maybe 10 whp with some losses in the low and mid range.

The cam testing was just like the turbo, about 10 whp up top with some losses in the low/mid range.

I put the car back how it was, HTA86 and the BF272 cams. I am not willing to accept a loss in the low/mid range unless there is SUBSTANTIAL gains up top and even then it's tough.

I think for the goals I have I have built the perfect set up with years of testing it's getting tougher to improve on this set up. I guess running 9.0's at 159 at 2950 pounds kind of proves the set up is pretty optimal.

As for the cams. I was so sure I was going to be blown away by these I bought 5 sets. While the cam did gain some power up top, the low/mid range losses were about 20 whp, for some that doesn't matter at all. If anyone is looking for a good set of cams I will sell these cheap, $575 per set. They are 272 duration, .460 lift. You will need good springs/retainers. (5) sets is all I have an all that will be built.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by crispeed
Yes it is.
who doesnt log coolant pressure

ps
ill tell u my coolant pressure if u tell me urs lol
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
dave is that it for cams or are you going to try a few others?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Dave I would have to say your setup is pretty optimal, like you said. To get more substantial gains with both low/mid-range and top end you're going to have to go back to the drawing board and start innovating a new setup with new parts. Something that the 4g63 hasn't seen before...

Quick Reply: David Buschur's RS/BADBISH 2010 build