Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

changing clutch but....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
changing clutch but....

Going to change my clutch, and was going to buy an ACT street clutch.
obviously, I'm going to get a new throwout bearing, and a new disc, but do i need to get a new pressure plate?

The car has 92k miles on it, and I don't really drive it hard anymore, and am pretty much using it as a daily driver.

The only reason that the pressure plate is an issue, is that I live in Hawaii, and shipping the pressure plate in costs $$$$. The last few clutches I did in other cars, I got the disc only.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

How much power are you pushing? You would probably be ok just changing the disk depending on the condition of the flywheel and pressure plate.

Why are you changing the clutch? Is it slipping? If so, and you have been driving it for a while with it slipping, you could have warped the pressure plate or the flywheel depending on your driving habits.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your new ACT kit will have the pressure plate and disc with it.

Aaron
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbotalawd
How much power are you pushing? You would probably be ok just changing the disk depending on the condition of the flywheel and pressure plate.

Why are you changing the clutch? Is it slipping? If so, and you have been driving it for a while with it slipping, you could have warped the pressure plate or the flywheel depending on your driving habits.
changing the clutch, because It's slipping a little under full load/power.... The car has 92,000 miles, so I figure it's time to change it anyway.

I'm not pushing that much more than stock, and I'd rather spend a few hundred for a clutch, and TOB , especially since I have to take it somewhere to get it done. I don't have a garage, so changing it myself is not really in the equation.

so... I"m guessing that a street act clutch will go ok w/ a stock pressure plate...
Old Feb 15, 2010, 08:37 PM

If you buy the ACT kit, it will come with the pressure plate, disc, throw out bearing and alignment tool. Its worth it, and I hear alot of mix opinions about re-using the pressure plate.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kambodianboi
If you buy the ACT kit, it will come with the pressure plate, disc, throw out bearing and alignment tool. Its worth it, and I hear alot of mix opinions about re-using the pressure plate.
yeah..... but 200 vs 600 bucks.... as long as the act clutch is compatable w/ the stock pressure plate I'm fine ( I always reused them before)
I would buy a stock clutch, but I'm not even going to bother asking the stealership how much they cost.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

^

they charge ~$900 @ the stealership LoL!!! Nivez (THE-EVO) bought one, then couldnt use it because of the power he is making. You say you have 92k on the car... How many times have you changed the pressure plate??? Just some $.02 better to spend $600 than replacing transmission parts because the Pressure plate stuck...
Old Feb 16, 2010, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

I would change both, The pressure plate im sure has some heat/ wear spots by that mileage
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:55 AM

Well, if you looking for a replacement and not trying to break the bank.

Check this out
http://www.maperformance.com/competi...n-viii-ix.html

Overall, what you choose it up to you.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by *constant_boost
^

they charge ~$900 @ the stealership LoL!!! Nivez (THE-EVO) bought one, then couldnt use it because of the power he is making. You say you have 92k on the car... How many times have you changed the pressure plate??? Just some $.02 better to spend $600 than replacing transmission parts because the Pressure plate stuck...
still stock original clutch.... yes, at that mileage.

One of the reasons why I'm thinking of NOT changing the pressure plate.... is cause, I'm thinking of getting a newer car...

I have twin girls, and lots of little things are starting to go wrong.

example.... ac condensor is clogged internally.... now, getting a new one will cost me $200, and it's not that hard to change,,,, but the ac still works.... until it gets super hot (i.e. traffic) so you can see, that I'm not exactly comfortable driving the evo, if the ac goes out, and I have the 2 twins in the car.
so, the evo is just for now, since I enjoy not having a car payment, and trying to just milk the car for all it's worth. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but it feels like it's getting smaller, and smaller every day...
Old Feb 17, 2010, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Well, if you looking for a replacement and not trying to break the bank.

Check this out
http://www.maperformance.com/competi...n-viii-ix.html

Overall, what you choose it up to you.
That is EXACTLY what I am looking for.....

although, I wonder how much shipping would be to Hawaii...

I am willing to do both, but don't need a true stage 2-3 clutch, but just a replacement for stock.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:13 AM

They do free shipping over $99
Old Feb 18, 2010, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

They do free shipping over $99
shipping for me will be free.... but usually, I have to check, because most people charge extra for hawaii, even though, usps charges the same no matter where in the US.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Free shipping to Hawaii for this particular product will not be an issue sir PM me if you would like to move forward, the CC Stage 2 will be great for a mildly modified car looking for stock like driveability characteristics!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
the CC Stage 2 will be great for a mildly modified car looking for stock like driveability characteristics!
Agreed; its going to feel very similar to stock but be able to hold more power. Don't forget to order an OEM Mitsu TOB no matter which kit you buy; and give a clutch fork stopper serious consideration too.

Quick Reply: changing clutch but....