Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Greddy Profec B spec II or Hallman MBC?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greddy Profec B spec II or Hallman MBC?

What should I go with? Greddy Profec B spec II or Hallman MBC? Not worrying about the price, just wondering what is more useful.
Thanks
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Depends on what you mean by more useful. Hallman is a great MBC, just have to pop the hood every time you wanna make adjustments unless you have the in **** pit set up. Greddy sucks *****. If you looking for a good EBC, I would go with the Blitz. Holds boost very well, much easier to use etc. I had the Greddy and it was nothing but problems and was confusing to use.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

i heard about greddy boost controller being hard to use. I though it was resolve and user friendly now.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Hallman Pro mbc gets my vote. I can tell you first hand it holds much better up top than a Forge MBC, and the electrics seem to be touchy to dial in. An option if you're looking to do ECU controled boost is a setup like the GrimSpeed ebc.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

I pretty much leaning toward hallman now. plus it's cheaper too.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

I wanted the greddy one because this guy is selling it for $100 without solenoid.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Much cheaper. PM STM (street tuned motorsports) for good prices and $2 shipping on anything from his website. I would recommend the MBC because it's a simple adjustment. Some of the fancy ebs's don't even come with directions written in english.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

sounds good!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

I'll give you my honest opinion. I originally had a Hallman Pro-Rx, it was an excellent MBC, however with the temperature fluctuations around the winter time here in Cincinnati I had to constantly pop the hood to turn the boost down a pinch here or a pinch there to keep the boost spikes in check.

I found a cheap new Greddy Profec B-Spec II on ebay, installed it, tuned it right and haven't looked back. It works great a controlling the boost spikes in the cold weather, you can adjust it from the inside of the car plus you can have the low setting be low enough to prevent any spikes or program you can program the warning setting to extract boost if you go over your pre-set max target. I'm not going to lie, it is not a breeze to setup, but there are plenty of threads on the forum that will help you get it dialed in relatively quickly.

In summary the Hallman's are great MBC's, but for climates where the temperature fluctuates quite a bit I would recommend an EBC because of the reasons explained above.

Last edited by JRB_EVO; Feb 15, 2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JRB_EVO
I'll give you my honest opinion. I originally had a Hallman Pro-Rx, it was an excellent MBC, however with the temperature fluctuations around the winter time here in Cincinnati I had to constantly pop the hood to turn the boost down a pinch here or a pinch there to keep the boost spikes in check.

I found a cheap new Greddy Profec B-Spec II on ebay, installed it, tuned it right and haven't looked back. It works great a controlling the boost spikes in the cold weather, plus you can have the low setting be low enough to prevent any spikes or program you can program the warning setting to extract boost if you go over your pre-set max target. I'm not going to lie, it is not a breeze to setup, but there are plenty of threads on the forum that will help you get it dialed in relatively quickly.

In summary the Hallman's are great MBC's, but for climates where the temperature fluctuates quite a bit I would recommend an EBC because of the reasons explained above.
FWIW I have the hallman pro RX and I haven't had any spike issues with the changing weather. We have fairly large swings as well. I have no complaints and it is super simple and effective.

If I was going to do electronic boost control I would prefer to use a GM 3 port or similar and then control it through the ECU.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been using the profec 2 spec b for 2yrs or so. I love it. I can adjust boost on the fly. I use it as a fail safe for my meth injection as well. It holds boost very well for me. I have had it for about 5yrs. It spent one on my conquest tsi, two in a box in the garage, and has been in my evo since. I have two different boost settings for Hi and Lo boost that can be changed at the press of a button. If I want to tweek either it is just a few clicks away. It also displays peak boost it has seen. You can reset it easily, so I do it after each run to make sure my boost is hitting peak all the time.

I fixed some massive boost leaks. Once fixed I spiked to 35psi just recently. While driving I turned the set down from 80 to 73 and now I hit 30psi in third again. I love it.

If you buy one though it might be worth looking for a complete one.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvor
FWIW I have the hallman pro RX and I haven't had any spike issues with the changing weather. We have fairly large swings as well. I have no complaints and it is super simple and effective.

If I was going to do electronic boost control I would prefer to use a GM 3 port or similar and then control it through the ECU.
The spiking wasn't an issue all the time, but having logged actual boost pressure via my JDM MAP sensor revealed that I was spiking 2-3psi higher than I was supposed to (BTW, my Defi gauge also indicated that I was spiking but not as bad as my MAP sensor measurements revealed). The spike is just part of the nature of manual control system of most MBC's: a ball and a spring.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JRB_EVO
The spiking wasn't an issue all the time, but having logged actual boost pressure via my JDM MAP sensor revealed that I was spiking 2-3psi higher than I was supposed to (BTW, my Defi gauge also indicated that I was spiking but not as bad as my MAP sensor measurements revealed). The spike is just part of the nature of manual control system of most MBC's: a ball and a spring.
fair enough, just stating my observations so far.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

I had problems with the Greddy solenoids going out all the time. Inconsistent boost also. I'm guessing it's hit or miss. The Blitz has been good to me, I would recommend it. If I had to go back to a manual, it would be the Hallman.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
I use and have used the old profec B, which is similar to the new profec b spec s. Very easy to use and reliable based on my personal experience. High/Low boost settings and a gain know so it doesn't get much easier.

Quick Reply: Greddy Profec B spec II or Hallman MBC?