Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Red Boost Creeping at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by millsyy17
So here's an issue im having.. I have an 05 evo 8 and just upgraded my stock turbo to a FP Red. I have a MAP o2 housing w/ external dump and 3" turboXS exhaust.

I have my Hallman boost controller set at 18Psi and it will hold it solid but anytime after 5-5.5k rpm it will suddenly start to creep quickly to about 22-24psi up to redline

I tried running directly off the wastegate by putting the vaccum hose from the compressor housing to the acutator and it boost 12psi and holds but after about 5k again it creeps all the way to 22-24psi

This all happens at higher gears like 3rd and 4th when there is load being put on motor.. inspected hose and no cuts or leaks

Also i tried adjusting the acutator rod and still no luck??

Can anybody help thats expircenced this before?
I am sorry if I am poking in the wound but why to even bother putting a FP Red and run it at 22-23psi. I rather have a stock turbo than a Red at 22-23psi.
As far is the surge. The easiest way to eliminate any boost creep would be putting a restrictor on one of the boost lines and also taking the boost source the closest to the compressor housing.

Carlos
Old Feb 17, 2010, 04:00 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I am sorry if I am poking in the wound but why to even bother putting a FP Red and run it at 22-23psi. I rather have a stock turbo than a Red at 22-23psi.
As far is the surge. The easiest way to eliminate any boost creep would be putting a restrictor on one of the boost lines and also taking the boost source the closest to the compressor housing.

Carlos
Good point bro the red doesn't shine untill 29 psi or more...Your better off with stock turbo...
Old Feb 17, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1slowassevo
I disagree about the porting that always doesn't help boost creep hes running a o2 dump and that's not even helping him...Actually sometimes you lose power and spool up in porting i didn't even touch the housing on mine and i had no problems making 500 whp and fast spool up!!
Sure, you are welcome to disagree! However, actually, the areas of the turbine housing that are targeted for porting attention when seeking to reduce backpressure, reduce spoolup time and ultimately free-up horsepower are not the same specific areas that are targeted for porting when attempting to reduce boost creep.

So, one can port to reduce boost creep without adversely impacting spoolup, or affecting power ouput whatsoever.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 04:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
embrace the creep
Old Feb 17, 2010, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
embrace the creep
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

nobody ever said i wanted to keep the turbo at 18-22psi. Im trying to get it to tune on high boost i just had the boost set low right now before tuned and i was wondering because i want to make sure im not going to have a problem tuning because of the creep
Old May 20, 2010, 06:42 AM
4DR
Evolved Member

most boost creep issues can be resolved with properly setting the actuator arm. Set the actuator arm for zero preload (slips unto the flapper w/o force) and allow th bc to raise and lower boost. A short actuator arm will not allow the flapper to open full, cuase pressure to build on the turbine and raise boost levels beyond the set psi.
Old May 20, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In this case I will put money on the fact that the wastgate merge hole on the O2 housing needs to be ported a bit...
Old May 20, 2010, 08:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I had this same issue when I first put in my Red with a ported turbine housing. Once I had better flowing cams, IM and headwork, it stopped. So there you go, you need more mods!
Old May 20, 2010, 08:59 AM
CMB
Evolving Member

Try a different boost controller
Old May 20, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4DR
most boost creep issues can be resolved with properly setting the actuator arm. Set the actuator arm for zero preload (slips unto the flapper w/o force) and allow th bc to raise and lower boost. A short actuator arm will not allow the flapper to open full, cuase pressure to build on the turbine and raise boost levels beyond the set psi.
This is what was causing my creep with my old turbo. I ported the **** out of the wastegate port and the o2 housing didnt do anything, still had the creep. I lightened up the preload and boom i went from getting 5-6psi creep to a 2psi creep by redline which i then just tuned for. **** i like boost creep to a point. Who wants to loose boost up to when you can gain some?

And i could have eliminated the creep if i lightened up the preload even more but i liked the small boost creep it reall helped out top end!

Last edited by 3gEclipseTurbo; May 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old May 23, 2010, 08:45 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
This is what was causing my creep with my old turbo. I ported the **** out of the wastegate port and the o2 housing didnt do anything, still had the creep. I lightened up the preload and boom i went from getting 5-6psi creep to a 2psi creep by redline which i then just tuned for. **** i like boost creep to a point. Who wants to loose boost up to when you can gain some?

And i could have eliminated the creep if i lightened up the preload even more but i liked the small boost creep it reall helped out top end!
Its just that simply. I just did this the other day. People must understand this one simple idea: A SHORT ACTUATOR ARM WILL NOT PUSH THE FLAPPER OPEN TO ITS FULL EXTENT TO ALLOW EXHAUST GASES TO PASS THROUGH THE WASTEGATE HOLE, AS OPPOSED TO A LONGER ARM. A LONGER ARM WILL ALLOW FOR MORE FLOW BECAUSE IT WILL OPEN THE FLAPPER MORE, LOWERING YOUR CHANCE FOR CREEP.

Do it correctly.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DR
... People must understand this one simple idea: A SHORT ACTUATOR ARM WILL NOT PUSH THE FLAPPER OPEN TO ITS FULL EXTENT TO ALLOW EXHAUST GASES TO PASS THROUGH THE WASTEGATE HOLE, AS OPPOSED TO A LONGER ARM. A LONGER ARM WILL ALLOW FOR MORE FLOW BECAUSE IT WILL OPEN THE FLAPPER MORE, LOWERING YOUR CHANCE FOR CREEP.....
The actuator rod does not exert a pushing force on the flapper valve. Shortening the actuator rod increases wastegate actuator spring pressure which PULLS the flapper valve down onto its seat. Thus, shortening the actuator rod exerts pulling force not pushing force. In conclusion, it is mechanically impossible for the actuator rod to "push the flapper open" as you have stated above.

In short, exhaust gas pressure within the turbine housing acting on the flapper valve's face at the exit opening of the wastegate bypass port is the specific force that lifts the flapper valve off its seat. The exhaust gases do the pushing which increases seat pressure. But, the actuator rod does not exert a pushing force on the flapper valve.

Last edited by sparky; May 24, 2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old May 24, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

i fixed the problem long time ago. Once i put a 3" downpipe it stopped creeping.

at the time i had a stock downpipe temp. till my downpipe came in so i used that