Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Red Boost Creeping at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP Red Boost Creeping at high rpm

So here's an issue im having.. I have an 05 evo 8 and just upgraded my stock turbo to a FP Red. I have a MAP o2 housing w/ external dump and 3" turboXS exhaust.

I have my Hallman boost controller set at 18Psi and it will hold it solid but anytime after 5-5.5k rpm it will suddenly start to creep quickly to about 22-24psi up to redline

I tried running directly off the wastegate by putting the vaccum hose from the compressor housing to the acutator and it boost 12psi and holds but after about 5k again it creeps all the way to 22-24psi

This all happens at higher gears like 3rd and 4th when there is load being put on motor.. inspected hose and no cuts or leaks

Also i tried adjusting the acutator rod and still no luck??

Can anybody help thats expircenced this before?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Me, personally, I wouldn't worry about the creeping if it stops at 22-24#. With the Red, and on 93 octane gas you should be fine as long as you have a good tune and no knock. I run 22# on 91 octane with a dinky turbo and hot weather.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Me, personally, I wouldn't worry about the creeping if it stops at 22-24#. With the Red, and on 93 octane gas you should be fine as long as you have a good tune and no knock. I run 22# on 91 octane with a dinky turbo and hot weather.
Your right but i just dont like the fact I set it at 18Psi or so and it creeps past what i want it to run. Something doesnt seem right i never had this problem before with my old turbo. I want to be able to set it at X amount of boost and stay there till redline
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

If you pull the turbine housing off and port the turn in radius to the entrance of the wastegate bypass port located in the entrance to the turbine housing, which is called the turbine inlet area, you will eliminate the creep.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
You could also get the car tuned with ECU boost and that should help remedy the issue also.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
the red flows alot more than a stock turbo i would set it for 24psi then you wont have creep just make sure you have a good tune and you should be fine i mean why wouldnt you want the most power out of your car
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Realize that your creep issue may just be related to the extremely cold weather in your area. Really cold air can account for up to 4# of boost creep.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this exactly boost creep?
Is this happening in all gear or just higher gears. If only in 3rd gear and up, could it be the waste gate duty cycles that cause higher boost during higher gears.

Have you gotten it tuned? Are you knocking or anything at anytime?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by millsyy17
I tried running directly off the wastegate by putting the vaccum hose from the compressor housing to the acutator and it boost 12psi and holds but after about 5k again it creeps all the way to 22-24psi
Everyone read this ^

It is boost creeep. To eliminate it, you'll need to enlarge the wastegate hole.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
the 02 housing is likely causing the problem. using the correct style megan type 02 never results in boost creep threads.

boost creep is a wonderful characteristic to have. as long as the terminal boost is not too much for the octane.

I had a 25g setup that had a 3-4psi creep. I did some extra porting to remedy the problem. after it went back together i was miffed. the power just fell off up top with the new flat boost curve.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

Does FP normally sell their Reds with an 18#, or a 25# actuator? The FP 18# actuator is notorious for exhibiting a characteristic 2-4# boost spike when the user attempts to set peak boost within the 18-22 PSI range, at least it did it on the old-style FP Green turbos.

Also, supposing that the OP's Red is equipped with the 25# actuator, how does the 25# actuator react at boost levels significantly lower than 25#? Can you even get it to maintain at 12# base pressure given its stiffer internal spring?

If the user wants to attempt to run boost levels below 25#, such as his 22# attempt, or his try at running a 12# base pressure, these levels may be hard to achieve with a 25# actuator. Maybe he should try a stock IX actuator, or an FP 18# actuator just as a reference...Or is Sparky barking up the wrong tree?

Last edited by sparky; Feb 17, 2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
sparky is barking the wrong tree.

boost spike= a quick over boost exceeding target boost. caused by sudden build of back pressure that cant bleed off fast enough. the tighter spring gates spike higher due to slower acting gate.

boost creep= boost rises uncontrollably. independent of boost setting. caused by the wastegates inability to bypass enough gas around turbine. forcing turbine speed to rise beyond your target boost setting.

both problems are due to a small waste gate passage.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd say tune around it. i mean why get an fp red if you will only boost it at 18psi.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
sparky is barking the wrong tree....both problems are due to a small waste gate passage.
I agree with you '94! The turbine bypass port needs to be slightly ported. This should cure his creep. If he were running a turbular EBay style O2 then he could try opening up the merge hole. But, since he is using an O2 dump, then the most likely culprit is a restrictive WG bypass port.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 03:17 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sparky
I agree with you '94! The turbine bypass port needs to be slightly ported. This should cure his creep. If he were running a turbular EBay style O2 then he could try opening up the merge hole. But, since he is using an O2 dump, then the most likely culprit is a restrictive WG bypass port.
I disagree about the porting that always doesn't help boost creep hes running a o2 dump and that's not even helping him...Actually sometimes you lose power and spool up in porting i didn't even touch the housing on mine and i had no problems making 500 whp and fast spool up!!

Quick Reply: FP Red Boost Creeping at high rpm