Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo Diesel Motor Oil?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have shell rotella in my moms honda right now and plan on putting the T6 5w40 in my evo when I get it since idk what the kid ran it before and the history of it, and until I can get some amsoil.

I myself am a diesel mechanic and work on tons of diesel engines from caterpillar to Mercedes Benz. Some making 200hp and some making OVER 2200 hp at a low 2100 rpm. and I've seen some engines over 600k miles on it without a rebuild, and some with twin turbos the size of your head that get red hot. if diesel oil can do that and support 2k hp engines then I dont see whats wrong with it in a gas engine, both have turbos, both run at around 190-200 degrees ish and all this shows diesels have much more they need to support so they have more additives plus dont have the converters (actually they do now but not the same kind a gas engine has) like some gas cars so they can have more additives in them to not worry about killing the gas converters
Old Jan 1, 2011, 06:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Diesel oils are a little more robust in the zddp and detergent areas,,, still some evo owners don't like the idea of using diesel oil in their gas car.. AMSOIL has an oil that's diesel / gas , in 5w30 and 40 weights.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Currently breaking in a new motor on Rotella T high Zinc dino oil. When I'm done I'll switch to Mobil 1 synthetic
Old Jan 1, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
3k mile oil changes is important. change it reg. with mobil1/amsoil dont try getting out cheep by doing them less it will only hurt you an cost more money. an you cannot go with how the oil looks it will get burned an turn dark idc how good your dad is it not possible to tell by looks/smell/taste for the weird ppl
Old May 12, 2011, 07:25 PM

Which TD oil should I use for my E85 powered Evo?
Old May 12, 2011, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by neuspeed
Which TD oil should I use for my E85 powered Evo?
I'd go with Shell Rotella T6 5W/40. It is available by the gallon in most autoparts stores. Mobil 1 Delvac 5W/40 is also good stuff. I however can't get the Rotella so I choose Motul 5W/40 XCESS.

So, Rotella, or the Motul XCESS, preferably. Then the Mobil1 Delvac. This is as far as TD motor oils are concerned.

Last edited by sparky; May 12, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use the mobil 1 deisel oil. No harm and no foul to the motor. I like knowing this oil has the extra zinc and phosphate compared to standard mobil 1. I make sure to change every 3000 miles.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChrisBond1
After trying Mobil 1 and AMSOil in my evo, both didn't last their rated "15,000" mile claim.......
I wouldn't try running any motor oil(or oil filter, for that matter) for 15,000 mile intervals especially on a turbocharged car. I get worried after 3,000 miles.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
Diesel oils are a little more robust in the zddp and detergent areas,,, still some evo owners don't like the idea of using diesel oil in their gas car.. AMSOIL has an oil that's diesel / gas , in 5w30 and 40 weights.
I'm using this Amsoil diesel oil right now and i love it. Amsoil products are great in general but this diesel oil makes the car very quite and the turbo sounds happier.
Old May 12, 2011, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE!

Been using Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel since October 2010. I've changed it twice, 5,000 or so when it changed both times. No oil analysis or anything, just some thoughts and feelings.

The car feels better in overall driving/cruising once warmed up. What I don't like about it, when coming from stop, the car feels like it was being bogged down, ex. it would take more gas to get going from stop. I use this oil over the winter, cold starts up were what I expected, just a slight hesitation when cranking though sometimes it would feel like the car won't crank at all. Sometimes, I would smell my oil when I punch it. Just some thoughts on it. If I had to recommend it someone, I would probably say pass on it and look into something else. I think I'll try something different for the summer.

Also note: It could be my tune or something else why I might be experiencing some these issues with this oil.

Again, just my thoughts and feelings on the subject matter.
Old May 12, 2011, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Maybe its the 40 weight?

I'm using the Amsoil turbo diesel oil 5w 30 for 3k miles now and loving it. Feels just like the mobile 1 did before they lowered the zddp. I havent done any oil analysis but just from the perspective of someone that drives their car every day, it feels great. And I can sleep well at night knowing it has enough zddp to protect the motor and hta green. Something like 1300 zinc and phosphorus.

I recommend you try AMSOIL Series 3000 SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil.

And another plus for those running E85.
Old May 13, 2011, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

UPDATE!

Been using Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel since October 2010. I've changed it twice, 5,000 or so when it changed both times. No oil analysis or anything, just some thoughts and feelings.

The car feels better in overall driving/cruising once warmed up. What I don't like about it, when coming from stop, the car feels like it was being bogged down, ex. it would take more gas to get going from stop. I use this oil over the winter, cold starts up were what I expected, just a slight hesitation when cranking though sometimes it would feel like the car won't crank at all. Sometimes, I would smell my oil when I punch it. Just some thoughts on it. If I had to recommend it someone, I would probably say pass on it and look into something else. I think I'll try something different for the summer.

Also note: It could be my tune or something else why I might be experiencing some these issues with this oil.

Worst poster.
-You base your judgement on how well an oil performs, off of oil color.
-You base your judgement on how well an oil performs, off of how your car 'feels'/drives, which is more tune related than anything.

How about before you 'recommend' oils to someone, you go get an oil analysis done after you change your oil and see how it really performed..
Old May 13, 2011, 08:44 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And that is simply because you are trying to flow a thicker weigh oil through pasages that were designed for a 30 weigh not a 40 or 50.

there are high zinc oils that are in the 30 weigh that will do perfect for any stock block and not sacrifice performance.

UPDATE!

Old May 13, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Liqquid
interesting, anyone else using this?

Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic. It has everything your turbo needs, is 5W40 and it is pretty cheap.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nollij
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic. It has everything your turbo needs, is 5W40 and it is pretty cheap.
sometimes on sale at advance auto for $20/gallon...I got like 5 gallons of it

I will be trying some of that new Z-rod high zinc stuff though especially since I found out I have .001+ clearance bearings so I need thicker oil