Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IX stock boost control, + few mods should = xxx boost?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IX stock boost control, + few mods should = xxx boost?

Hi guy I did do a little searching before posting but nothing came up in relation.
Recently purchased a IX, and when I picked up the car it had a Turbo XS mbc installed. The previous owner told me he "turned down the boost for me", so I could get the car home without any problems of blowing IC hoses off during the 11 hour drive home. This yielded about 14 psi spike and hold.
After getting the car home I attempt to turn up the boost by turning the BC in relation to the + setting on the turn knob. After about 5 times of trying to turn it up, only seems to raise to about 17 psi.

I've checked all of the IC clamps, no major boost leaks to be found. Next step was to install the stock boost lines from an VIII (since the IX did not have any) After installed the stock boost line the car will now only boost to about 15 psi.

I have the red tipped hose running to the wga, the other short end off the T going to the J pipe, and the other end of the hose going to the front most nipple on the stock boost solenoid, the brass boost pills are located in the long hose, and the hose on the j pipe.

I was under the impression that a stock IX should reach around 19-20 psi of boost. Temps are low here in the teens and 20's. Even with full 3" exhaust I would think the boost should be higher. Is there anythng I'm missing or doing wrong? I've never had stock boost, or stock boost controller on any of my EVO's.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock ix makes its stock boost when u use the stock bcs
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by [I.R.A.]_FBi
stock ix makes its stock boost when u use the stock bcs
That was an intelligent response. Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

16-17psi sounds normal for a stock IX, but if you have a MBC, and turn it up you should be able to go higher. Do a full boost leak test, rather than just visual inspection.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

17psi is about normal for a IX. Peak boost is 19.8psi and then tapers to about 17, so maybe that is what you are seeing.

Contact the seller and just ask him the questions possibly.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo unknown
17psi is about normal for a IX. Peak boost is 19.8psi and then tapers to about 17, so maybe that is what you are seeing.

Contact the seller and just ask him the questions possibly.
Well it was 17 with the MBC and only 15 without. Maybe I'll try another MBC tonight.

When I was in process of buying the car the owner told me he was able to peak like 28 psi and hold 20 ish with the MBC. At the time he did have a forge bov, and I requested the stock IX bov when I bought the car. Even so. I have tried two ix bovs now. Stock one, and my personal IX bov from my VIII, which held 24 psi till redline on the stock turbo, so I'm sure the bov is not the problem.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Did you fully adjust the MBC and turn it from fully closed to fully open? 14-15 is about right for WG pressure. You should be able to adjust that up to at least 20 with the MBC.

Also, I assume there have been problems blowing the pipes off on this car? Have you replaced the clamps with t-bolts? Also, what boost level is it tuned for?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would you be so kind as to postup a pic of your MBC and a diagram as to how you have it connected? This would be oh so helpful. Thanx!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

idk about the 9 but the 8s have a lil ball in the line that u have to pinch out so u can go higher boost
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jarrett: Is "lil ball", an acoustic cover of the Jimi Hendrix song, "Little Wing?"
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

The car was said to be tuned to run pretty aggressive. Has personal claims of the car running 11.8xxx at the track, from when he posted times of the car last year. I installed a wideband right away and V7 so I could monitor to see if there is any knock. Have not had a chance to log yet.

The BC is this one http://http://www.turboxs.com/uploaded_images/521.pdf

Which is how it was when I picked up the car. I also hooked it up like this http://http://www.jonesland.com/evo/MBC_Install.htm

Did not seem to change at all.

EDIT.. I think I may have found something. It looks to me like there is 0 duty cycle right now for the wg. I'm looking at my V7 (which is new to me, just learning how to play around with this stuff) However it looks like my boost table is all o.o for every gear. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I will turn it up and reflash and report my findings.

Last edited by Nasty Evolution; Feb 19, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

UPDATE.. That was the problem, the wgdc was at 0% all the way across the board. I turned it up to 100% and 20 psi no problem. Thank you all for the input and replies. Now time to learn how to tune my boost!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nasty Evolution
UPDATE.. That was the problem, the wgdc was at 0% all the way across the board. I turned it up to 100% and 20 psi no problem. Thank you all for the input and replies. Now time to learn how to tune my boost!
So does this mean that you have the MBC running out of the stock BCS? That seems a bit bizarre for me...
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvor
So does this mean that you have the MBC running out of the stock BCS? That seems a bit bizarre for me...
No MBC at all, just the stock lines and the solenoid. I will be switching to a gm 3 port here very soon.