Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 mr --> fp black??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo 9 mr --> fp black??

Hey everybody, I've been on these boards for a while now and have just been reading, until now where I'm stuck on some choices and info. I really need as much input as possible here.. So currently.. The car is a 2006 evo mr with

hks hi power full exhaust
down pipe
halman pro mbc
air intake w/maf adapter

I was planning on continuing mods such as..

port manifold
fuel pump
kelford 272 cams
pte 1000cc injectors
arp headstuds
tune.

after that round is complete what is the optimal turbo of choice???

FP red -- higher torque on 6 speed mr damage possibility but faster spool
fp black - less torque but slight delay and takes less load for turbo to create equal power of fp red

My question is are my mod steps incorrect?? what should i do to achieve 425 whp without doing any block/bottom end or 5 speed swap.

Thanx
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what kind of fuel? alky injection? 425 is rather in the lower end of the spectrum so htagreen might suit you better. What are you purposes; street? road race?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
what boost are u planning on running b4 and after upgrading the turbo?

how about considering a fmic kit, and o2 housing b4 upgrading the cams?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

THe fuel would just be 93 octane, no meth injection. I know the fp black is meant to go high boost 30+, but I was planning on running 22 or so psi before the mods, then 26 or 27 psi after turbo. The purposes are just for street use.

I did consider a fmic kit, but is it truly necessary before the cams?? I do understand It will help heat soak, but what kind of gains are we talking here?

425 hp for now with the red/black then perform the remaining upgrades and changes until i can really turn ip to 30 psi.

Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2010, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
claims were diff from every setup, but generaly speaking, ur cooling the air charge more thus it will result in better performance.

I think its important to upgrade atleast the licp.

and keep us posted as iam really interested in to see what the black does at 22 psi.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigger injectors aren't necessary on stock turbo unless you're going to run an alternative fuel. Are you tuned for your current mods? And is there any reason in particular you'd like 425whp? Would these numbers be on a mustang dyno or dynojet?
I'd recommend to set a goal for a 1/4 mile run or a lap time at a track/road course as this would focus your build accordingly. There are limitless recommendations from members on here that you could potentially receive on proven parts.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
93 oct 400- 450

ported fp hta green
ported intake manifold
ported Throttle body
ported exhaust manifold
3.5" Intercooler
1000 cc injectors (i would not go any lower no point)
Intercooler pipes
intake
ported ebay ss 02 housing
3"TBE
testpipe
kelford 272
spring and retainter upgrade(not needed but will help alot)
oem headgasket
arp headstuds
walbro 255 fuel pump
aps twin vent bov or evo 9 bov(good to 28psi crushed)
30-30 boost guage
wideband gauge
26-30 psi tune

not to expensive want more power increase boost. the hta green will get you 520 on e85. now not enough people have it now to see its true power mike will be unlocking the magic soon. to me for what you want the fp black would be over kill. buying one for 22psi is just plain stupid and a waste of good money. you need to be running 27 psi or more to make it worth your money somewhat. 22 psi is not even fp red terriorty that mostly bbk full and hta green playground but you can still get great power out the green if 425-450 is all you ever what this is the setup you need until you build your LONG BLOCK then the real fun begins
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

I guess I would agree that the fp green is ideal for getting the 450 hp, but the turbo would be under a lot of load if boost is later increased to the mentioned 27 psi. On the fp webpage it says it does well at 22 but after my mods and i increase boost to 27 or higher it might damage the engine. Or am i wrong regarding this??

THe reason i mentioned the red or black is since the turbo is larger it just doesnt have to work as hard to put out the power at 22 or 27 psi then what a green can do at 22 or 27 psi. despite the price. But i do agree with your mod list

Can anybody vouch for 6 speed mr/ transmission/transfercase limit experiences they've had. That is one of the main factors preventing me from going ultra high boost after mods

thanks guys
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

mrevo,

thats the kind of responses im looking for. I was afraid 450 wheel is too high and since the red and black will jokingly make 450whp, id be foolish to not think that transmission may go out. I guess the best thing to do is to do the modlist then slowly convert transmission and service tcase/clutch before the turbo upgrade. or i can do the red anyway and drive knowing the trans may die at anymoment, to atleast get out of it what i can.

I dont know if that would be too wise.

anybody have good luck with fpred or black on the 6 speed??

uhhh, what a troublesome transmission.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you can install the turbo upgrade just detune the car and do a 5 speed swap or tre 6 speed rebuild my list is perfect people run greens at 450 all day no issues that's what you have warranty for the red is good the black is overkill for what you want yes the hta will hold 30psi easy

Last edited by RockmanX; Feb 23, 2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:30 PM

unless you are going to build the motor to hold massive psi, or stroke it for more liters, then black will be OVERKILL, and red will be pushing it. stock motor, go green.
Old May 14, 2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by redhott92
unless you are going to build the motor to hold massive psi, or stroke it for more liters, then black will be OVERKILL, and red will be pushing it. stock motor, go green.
green on an evo 9 gsr jdm without rod bolts or anything is it safe??? thanks. and the transfer case with acd?? does it handle 450hp to the motor without braking?? i have also 6 speed gearbox thanks
Old May 14, 2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by juanpdu
green on an evo 9 gsr jdm without rod bolts or anything is it safe??? thanks. and the transfer case with acd?? does it handle 450hp to the motor without braking?? i have also 6 speed gearbox thanks
with 450hp your at the limit for you transfer case, gear box and stock clutch(if you have one). drive it sensibly and you shouldn't have a problem. Big launches, slamming gears and track work and you could be in trouble.

Last edited by twista; May 14, 2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

HTA Green @ 30+ psi with ported stuff = blown stock motor. Too much torque, too early in the power band. You are asking to throw a rod if you push 30+ even on E-85 on the stock motor with a quick spooling turbo like the HTA Green.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

im getting my fp-red installed and tuned tomorrow, im still running the stock 6sp and the car has 44k miles im hoping she holds up!

Quick Reply: Evo 9 mr --> fp black??