Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BOV flutter?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP get yourself a APS Twin vent no flutter and holds all the boost I throw at it
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:31 PM

Sounds like you're experiencing compressor surge (which is one of the worst things your turbo can go through. Your turbo stops spinning the normal way, and abruptly spins the other way), that isn't the BOV making that noise.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

geez. and i thought it was something innocent this whole time....you learn something new everyday haha
Old Feb 27, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by streetracerkam
The flutter is back pressure against your turbo, which spools it backwards. This is very bad. I experienced this sometimes in my old evo with a turbosmart dual port.

If your driving around town and the such, try not to hit boost. Of if cruising on the highway. If you do hit boost, Just step on it completely for about a second so all the boost builds up, and let it go, to release it. The backpressure is killing the turbo.

Or, Buy a softer spring if available for your BOV.

Just my .02, based on my knowledge. Correct me if I am wrong about the softer spring, because there might be the possibility of it opening up during WOT if its to soft, and the boost going out aswell, :P
VERY BAD???
over exaggerating a little bit there buddy

to everyone sitting here saying what COULD happen, have you ever seen it happen? cause ive talked to a lot of well known shops and not one of them has ever reported something like what is being said happening

i been daily driving my evo for over 2 years with an upgraded blow off valve which would cause it to flutter all the time. not one thing has ever come about the flutter.... my turbo is completely fine as is the rest of the car

Last edited by EvoJoeIX; Feb 27, 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Compressor surge is something that will happen period! you can't completely get rid of it. You can however by getting the proper bov cut down on the amount of surge. Compressor surge is not when the turbine spins in the opposite direction. it's actually the slowing down or stahling of it. yes it tends to be worse with a VTA BOV but that's just the nature of the beast. Even if you go speed density you will still have surge. honestly if you really wanna know what compressor surge is and what it does, I would google it. You need to post threads like this to find out what it is. then search so you know exactly what ur dealing with. You will honestly never get a straight up answer here. That how i do it. My explanation is a short one, but you would benefit from looking more into it!

Last edited by VIIIrs; Mar 1, 2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:23 PM

i think it all does that but if you change out your filter you can just notice it more.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:28 PM

I just refer to it as the lil gremlin trying to get out from under my hood... Replacing my Blitz BOV with a stock EVO9 this week to atleast try to quiet the lil booger down a bit.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:29 PM

so upgraded bovs do this more? i was thinking of upgrading (still recirculating though) from the stock 9 because of this
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by todaysivxx
so upgraded bovs do this more? i was thinking of upgrading (still recirculating though) from the stock 9 because of this
you will be fine with a recirc'd BOV but honestly i would stick with the stock 9 DV untill you absolutely have to upgrade or it starts leaking
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Unless it's over 10psi or so it's not going to hurt the turbo.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VIIIrs
Compressor surge is something that will happen period! you can't completely get rid of it. You can however by getting the proper bov cut down on the amount of surge. Compressor surge is not when the turbine spins in the opposite direction. it's actually the slowing down or stahling of it. yes it tends to be worse with a VTA BOV but that's just the nature of the beast. Even if you go speed density you will still have surge. honestly if you really wanna know what compressor surge is and what it does, I would google it. You need to post threads like this to find out what it is. then search so you know exactly what ur dealing with. You will honestly never get a straight up answer here. That how i do it. My explanation is a short one, but you would benefit from looking more into it!
Couldn't have said it better, that's all to it.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 07:32 PM

BTW the wastegate is not for stopping flutter sounds either. It controls the speed of the turbo so it doesn't overspin. It bypasses the exhaust gases once desired pressure is reached. Some open and some closed.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
I have the same sound on my stock DV and I think every evo does, you just can't hear it, I have a mod to my lid so I can hear it clearly. It's normal, won't damage anything, and BTW someone said it will damage the bearings (I suppose turbo bearing) well our turbos don't have those.
Our turbos absolutely have bearings (hence the oil lines). Just about everything that rotates has a bearing of some sort.

Last edited by biggie5252; Mar 3, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

wow good info here boys. i have a stock 9 dv. basically mine didnt flutter untill i crushed it.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

delete this double post please.

Last edited by GdotRegEvo9; Mar 3, 2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: double post.

Quick Reply: BOV flutter?