Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Questions about the Pruven dyno day...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2003, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Questions about the Pruven dyno day...

Hi guys,

I read all the information on the dyno day that I could find. There is some information that I couldn't.

First, Dejan (Dan) was suppose to bring out the new beast. What did it dyno?

Al, I see your dyno sheets from Saturday, 440 whp. Is this the new set up with the new valves and head? Is it making the best HP that it has now?

Did the Ntercooler get tested with the nitrous vs. CO2?

That's it. Sounds like it was a good time.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Nov 3, 2003, 07:57 AM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was there was alot of fun.
The Pruven car just sat playing the stereo

Al's made 535 with a 30 shot and n'tercooler spray on 100 octane.

The nitrous vs. C02. It made 20 more hp or so with the nitrous spray on the intercooler.

I made 264 with your intake/filter/turboback/nocat and stock boost. Dynoed 248 stock fuel.

And 25 Evo's!

Last edited by 5StarSuzuki; Nov 3, 2003 at 08:03 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 07:59 AM
Account Disabled

Dave - good to hear from you

The ntercooler test was done earlier in the week and it seems you were right as they pciked up some co2 misfires on the dyno

We still havn't had a chance to test it on a rolling car outside on the road - but it seems obvious that your theory about the ntercooler is correct and at least some nos is enetering the air filter

Never the less - it certainly is a very effective unit - irrespective of how the power is made.

As for Dan's car - it makes over 600 whp with out spray and should be good for 700 with it

The engine is out now installing the new Ferrea Valves

We will be going to the track to do a side by side run into the 10's in a couple of weeks and to see who is da top dawg!

Best regards!
Old Nov 3, 2003, 08:05 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by DynoFlash

Never the less - it certainly is a very effective unit - irrespective of how the power is made.

This is HORRIBLE to hear from a tuner! WTF do you mean?? If your car is unexpectedly ingesting nitrous what is that doing to AFRs?? How safe can this be?
Old Nov 3, 2003, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
MP5, haha. Good point.

I am not impressed with the spray bars. After quite a bit of testing here they just haven't impressed us. Get a little nitrous in your engine as a side effect and you will be VERY impressed though.

Funny thing, long before all these companies jumped on the bandwagon with their spray bars and such we were doing the same thing. WAY back about 13 years ago I was at a race with the Talon up in Milan Michigan. We were out on the starting line with huge bottle of C02 spraying the intercoolers. We would spray them until they were completely frozen over with white frost. We did this right on the starting line with the engine off. We would then start the engine and launch the car. The difference in 1/4 mile times were ZERO.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Nov 3, 2003, 09:08 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by davidbuschur
MP5, haha. Good point.

I am not impressed with the spray bars. After quite a bit of testing here they just haven't impressed us. Get a little nitrous in your engine as a side effect and you will be VERY impressed though.

Funny thing, long before all these companies jumped on the bandwagon with their spray bars and such we were doing the same thing. WAY back about 13 years ago I was at a race with the Talon up in Milan Michigan. We were out on the starting line with huge bottle of C02 spraying the intercoolers. We would spray them until they were completely frozen over with white frost. We did this right on the starting line with the engine off. We would then start the engine and launch the car. The difference in 1/4 mile times were ZERO.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
I did that frfeezing on the starting line bit also - and also noticed no gains - BUT - its great to freak out your competition though when they see you out there blasting the co2 !!!!!!
Old Nov 3, 2003, 09:12 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by MP5

This is HORRIBLE to hear from a tuner! WTF do you mean?? If your car is unexpectedly ingesting nitrous what is that doing to AFRs?? How safe can this be?
WTF do i mean MP5- should I really give a negative dude like you ALL my hard earned tricks of the trade???

Ok - just one more ! The car is set up load based - IF it ingests extra nos through the air intake - that creates more power and boost which makes it go to a higher and richer load sector.

We always have the wideband o2 meter on the car when we play with such things and the a/f is always very rich and safe

OBVIOUSLY I was doing something right to be able to hit 535 on the dyno saturday - and then take like 10 guys for fun rides blasting on the highway - seems fairly safe me to

Of course - don't try this at home
Old Nov 3, 2003, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Ya know it's really great to hear 2 vendors actually comminuicating with each other without it turning into a negative, mudslinging slugfest
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:03 AM
MP5
In Timeout

WTF do i mean MP5- should I really give a negative dude like you ALL my hard earned tricks of the trade???

Ok - just one more ! The car is set up load based - IF it ingests extra nos through the air intake - that creates more power and boost which makes it go to a higher and richer load sector.

We always have the wideband o2 meter on the car when we play with such things and the a/f is always very rich and safe

OBVIOUSLY I was doing something right to be able to hit 535 on the dyno saturday - and then take like 10 guys for fun rides blasting on the highway - seems fairly safe me to

Of course - don't try this at home
No need to go back to the personal thing I was shocked by your comment not caring if the extra power came from the boost ferry or not, you explained the safety measures you have in place thats all
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:09 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by MP5

No need to go back to the personal thing I was shocked by your comment not caring if the extra power came from the boost ferry or not, you explained the safety measures you have in place thats all
On the customer cars we take great efforts to assure saftey and make sure there is no even slight chance of screw ups - everything is done 100%

On my own personal car - i am trying to smash records and be the fastest

I'll take chances on my own car - if it blows up I'll just rebuild it !

Pushing 600 whp on a 4 banger is not a safe and long term concept
Old Nov 7, 2003, 12:21 PM

Wouldn't it be more effective to use the nitrous how its supposed to be used? Such as injecting it directly into the intake stream rather than spraying it at the IC and hoping some of it get sucked into the air cleaner.

In other words, why spend money on the ntercooler sprayer when one could use that money to buy a real nitrous kit and get better results.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 01:04 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by natedogg

Wouldn't it be more effective to use the nitrous how its supposed to be used? Such as injecting it directly into the intake stream rather than spraying it at the IC and hoping some of it get sucked into the air cleaner.

In other words, why spend money on the ntercooler sprayer when one could use that money to buy a real nitrous kit and get better results.
Its a lot cheaper
Old Nov 7, 2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by MP5

Its a lot cheaper
Is it? Everywhere I look I see it advertised for about $400. You can buy dry kits for less than that. They are both doing the same thing, right? Putting nitrous into the intake stream with no fuel correction. Only the dry kit is doing it directly and efficiently and the Ntercooler kit is doing it indirectly and inefficiently. I'm sorry but I'm not convinced. It sounds like a waste of nitrous to me.

Not that I would want a dry kit on my Evo. Too dangerous, but then again I wouldn't the Ntercooler spray kit on it either for more or less the same reasons.
Old Nov 7, 2003, 01:27 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by natedogg

Is it? Everywhere I look I see it advertised for about $400. You can buy dry kits for less than that. They are both doing the same thing, right? Putting nitrous into the intake stream with no fuel correction. Only the dry kit is doing it directly and efficiently and the Ntercooler kit is doing it indirectly and inefficiently. I'm sorry but I'm not convinced. It sounds like a waste of nitrous to me.

Not that I would want a dry kit on my Evo. Too dangerous, but then again I wouldn't the Ntercooler spray kit on it either for more or less the same reasons.
Neither you nor I but some people dont give a **** just like with CAI the actual advantages are from something totally differnent than the intended purpose- making power from icing the intercooler, less restrictive flow/ when actually its the ingestion of N20 or screwing the Mas signal