Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Seafoam'd my Evo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've created a monster! Seafoam FTW!
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I have run this or a BG version if it in almost every car I have owned (in the dozens here...).

As mentioned, it clears out the carbon build up.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I think I am the perfect test subject for this.

I have a 91 Honda Accord with 170 Miles and I forget when I did my last oil change on it so it's due sometime soon.

Anyways from reading this I figure I pour some in into the gas tank, and some vaccum line that I have to find somewhere; and then drive it around the block a few times smoking. Then change my oil? Is this correct?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

If you use Seafoam in the crankcase (oil), let the car idle for 10-15 minutes. After that 10-15 minutes you change your oil. Do NOT rev the engine or drive the car. Doing either of those has the potential to cause damage to the engine. I have used seafoam in my evo and many, many cars when I was working for a Mitsu/Suzuki/Isuzu dealer. I do not use it my fuel though, as I usually run a bottle of Lucas Octane Booster through it every few months.

From personal experience on the Evo: One treatment of Seafoam helped quiet the noisy lifters that I was experiencing when I purchased the car used.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by revvin9k
I hope you weren't driving your car around with that stuff in the oil.
No..I did it next day cause it was dark after the seafoam treatment
Old Apr 28, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

After the 10-15mins of idling, don't you need to let the car sit for hours before performing an oil change?? Also, which is better to do it thru the crankcase or the brake booster??

If this thing works as it is supposed to, it can keep the motor clean inside and could be a very good preventive maintenance, like doing it once in a every 2-3 oil change??

I've been researching on this alot lately, and I actually picked this up from an Infiniti club who are using this to their $50k+ cars/SUV.

Originally Posted by StreetEvo
If you use Seafoam in the crankcase (oil), let the car idle for 10-15 minutes. After that 10-15 minutes you change your oil. Do NOT rev the engine or drive the car. Doing either of those has the potential to cause damage to the engine. I have used seafoam in my evo and many, many cars when I was working for a Mitsu/Suzuki/Isuzu dealer. I do not use it my fuel though, as I usually run a bottle of Lucas Octane Booster through it every few months.

From personal experience on the Evo: One treatment of Seafoam helped quiet the noisy lifters that I was experiencing when I purchased the car used.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

autozone and sometimes the wal-fart has something similar to seafoam. It works by dumping it into your crankcase. You let the car idle for about 10 minutes then you immediately change ur oil. Crisis averted and no the engine did not explode or catch on fire. When u drain the oil you'll see that thick sludge come out of your motor.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

hmm..i gotta try this for my next oil change, i did it in the fuel tank/vacuum line before though and never had a problem
Old Apr 29, 2010, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

I've used it for years to help with throttle response and to clean out old cars. I've only done the vacuum line method I haven't tried it in my oil or gas
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
If you use synthetic oil and change it regularly, there shouldn't be "sludge" in there. It only takes a few moments of running contaminated oil to hurt your bearings. I'll add use of this stuff to my list of questions when shopping used cars.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

so if you only do the vacumm line method (not the gas tank or crank) do you still need to change the oil right away??? i seen some videos on youtube where they say to change the oil right after you do this around 30 miles ater.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

I'm a bit confused by "vacuum line" and "oil/crank" methods? I thought that there are 2 methods to clean the motor with seafoam:
1) thru the vacuum line in the crank case
2) thru the brake booster

With method 1), are we supposed to let the car run while feeding 1/3 of seafoam thru the vacuum line on the crank case, and will need to adjust the TPS by hand while feeding it too.

is it right? that's according to all my researches online.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Not too sure about putting that stuff in the oil or gas tank, but I do use sea foam in my car. I pop out two vacuum lines from the intake manifold (one on each side). Then I spray small amount directly into the manifold. Spray, rev till about 4k rpms, repeat.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

To clean fuel system, the most recommended stuff is Techron. I'd be interested in using the seafoam method to keep my motor a bit cleaner + a peace of mind.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

I used it on my dd civic w/ 126k miles on it,a couple of months ago. Car runs MUCH smoother and has better acceleration. Just change the oil the next day and ur fine, so it has time to fully settle in the pan.

Quick Reply: Seafoam'd my Evo