Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anyone else idle like garbage?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else idle like garbage?

Its getting to the point where its actually aggrivating to drive, everytime i come off the gas(in neutral) my car goes down to about 300 RPM and bumps around and then pops back up, but its really aggrivating at stop signs and such. im wondering if its the kelford 272s, the blow off valve venting to the atmosphere, or mabe how its tuned. but im looking for some suggestions, ive heard a new EMS(AEM,AUTRONICS) helps tuning, thus making it easier to get the car to idle, thats just what i heard though. -thanks in advance
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by italianevo88
Its getting to the point where its actually aggrivating to drive, everytime i come off the gas(in neutral) my car goes down to about 300 RPM and bumps around and then pops back up, but its really aggrivating at stop signs and such. im wondering if its the kelford 272s, the blow off valve venting to the atmosphere, or mabe how its tuned. but im looking for some suggestions, ive heard a new EMS(AEM,AUTRONICS) helps tuning, thus making it easier to get the car to idle, thats just what i heard though. -thanks in advance
do you have the stock ecu now? If so you wont get any better tuning out of it going to a stand-alone (arguable I know) but the stock ecu capabilities are huge and the amount of things you can control is unlike any other stock ecu based platform.....

Now if this is a vta on a MAF (if your still on a MAF) could be causing you grief...as this has always been a big no no on the MAF system.

Secondly if you are on a stock ecu and have access to a 1.3 cable and evoscan you can set your base idle screw which probably needs adjusted....I have found this has fixed many idle issues and stalling issues on evo's I have messed with.

Basically using evoscan actuating the SAS mode and then adjust the screw on the TB until your base idle is set to 800 rpms +/- 50 rpms....which is factory spec.

That's about all I have - my evo idles rock solid as well as my friends with 272 cams on his VIII, so good luck
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Have you disconnected the battery or ECU latley?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Have you disconnected the battery or ECU lately?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Have you disconnected the battery or ECU lately?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

no i havnt disconnected the battery or ecu lately, but i could give it a try i suppose
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
do you have the stock ecu now? If so you wont get any better tuning out of it going to a stand-alone (arguable I know) but the stock ecu capabilities are huge and the amount of things you can control is unlike any other stock ecu based platform.....

Now if this is a vta on a MAF (if your still on a MAF) could be causing you grief...as this has always been a big no no on the MAF system.

Secondly if you are on a stock ecu and have access to a 1.3 cable and evoscan you can set your base idle screw which probably needs adjusted....I have found this has fixed many idle issues and stalling issues on evo's I have messed with.

Basically using evoscan actuating the SAS mode and then adjust the screw on the TB until your base idle is set to 800 rpms +/- 50 rpms....which is factory spec.

That's about all I have - my evo idles rock solid as well as my friends with 272 cams on his VIII, so good luck

yeah im running a stock ECU, but thanks for your info
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing you have an after market intake. I had the same problem with mine..would stop at light and it would dip then bounce back. I logged it a few time and it get really lean to pig rich then evens out. My fuel trims were way off due to the intake. I got it fixed once but it was a REAL p.i.t.a.. a few links for you to help out.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...rescaling.html

can't find the other one ATM but look for long term fuel trims and short term fuel trims adjusting in ecuflash section.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like your bov is the problem since you are vta.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

missed the BOV VTA thing...whoops yup that do it too.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

we need a mod list, with brand names. Also any SES light? help us help you
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My 04 is doing the same thing. I noticed when I was using the stock 96420008
ROM I had no problems with the idle then when I switched to 94170015 for all the new patches and upgrades nothing but problems with the idle. I have adjusted the TPS senor from 10.5v to 13.3v II have adjusted the cable and idle screw and still nothing. I pull up to a light or stop sign and it will fall to 300 RPM almost dying and then level it self out, then it will start bouncing around.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yamahar1
My 04 is doing the same thing. I noticed when I was using the stock 96420008
ROM I had no problems with the idle then when I switched to 94170015 for all the new patches and upgrades nothing but problems with the idle. I have adjusted the TPS senor from 10.5v to 13.3v II have adjusted the cable and idle screw and still nothing. I pull up to a light or stop sign and it will fall to 300 RPM almost dying and then level it self out, then it will start bouncing around.
I have the same issue when flashed from 96420008 to rom 94170015. My idle dips in stop and go situations and feels like its going to stall. Whats weird it doesn't do it when going in reverse.
Tried messing with the bov, isv, intake, idle adjust/trims, leak test, etc...still don't know wtf is causing it

Quick Reply: Anyone else idle like garbage?