Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Building block questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Building block questions

I am planning on getting my block built in the near future due to the infamous 1 by 1 head stud oil leak.

My engine builder wants to use BC H-beam rods. I know a lot of people tend to not like BC rods, but I noticed BR uses them on their standard stage 3 shortblock. What other rods are recommended? I dont plan to go over 600 WHP, but you know how things get. Still running stock turbo and don't plan to get a BBK unless a deal comes up.

Another question I have is what needs to be replaced? Timing belt, tensioner, water/oil pump, of course all gaskets, and what else? I know there is always something missed, but I want to make sure that I get mostly everything.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

they use Crower rods, not Brian Crower rods. big difference there
Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Cant believe I misread that. Thanks Tvor! What exactly happened between the BC vs Crower?

Anyone else have any suggestions of rods and what should be replaced during a build?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Gaskets, of course. I always replace the water pump, and all timing belt related parts, just because it's easier to do it and be sure of what you have than to have to do it over 5,000 miles later... also good safety protection for the new block build... Bearings, often the front cover/oil pump, check out what you want to do with the balance shaft, and replace that bearing if you're going to keep it... sometimes the oil pan pickup, depending on condition, and then lots of machine shop work and cleaning... Head studs is a good idea...

Generally, since you have to R&R most of the above parts, you want to make sure you replace anything that is a wear part and may fail, since it's only the cost of the parts at that point...
Old Mar 5, 2010, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

My thoughts are OEM gasket kit, timing belt, tensioner, all accessory belts, water and oil pump. I read about balance shaft elimination, but since my car is a DD... I dont think I want to. Is it really worth it? As for the for the balance shaft, can that be purchased separately?

As for rods, will the H beam BC rods be sufficient or should I go with Manley H beam?
Old Mar 6, 2010, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

I pretty sure it goes something like this Brian was the son of the guy who made Crower stuff. I think he was popular in the old big V8's and stuff so Brian started making parts for the new generation with import cars. Im not 100% on that though.