Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Motor blown? Wont turn over...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motor blown? Wont turn over...

Last night I noticed an odd noise coming from my engine. It was loud enough that I could hear it slightly with the windows rolled up while idling, kind of like a metal knock then two quieter taps, happening maybe once per second at idle, and speeding up with RPM. Since it was way too slow to be a rod knock or something on the crank I thought it might be something on the accessory belt at the time. It still idled smooth and drove home without any issues at all.

This morning, I went to start my car and it turned over twice, fired, and then died abruptly with a metal knocking noise. I pulled all of the plugs to find that the #1 cylinder (closest to timing belt) had smashed the spark plug to bits. The electrode was completely smashed flat and the insulator was split in half. Looking down in the cylinder with a flash light didn't reveal too much that I could see.

I took off the timing cover, everything looked good there. I tried cranking the engine by hand and I could not get it to turn. Tomorrow I'm going to take the valve cover off and possibly the head.

Any ideas on what happened? I only have $1500 in the bank and this is my DD so I hope its not too bad...

Specs:
2004 evo 8 no-acd 85k miles
Stock 9.8 turbo
Stock FMIC
ETS LICP
HKS 272 cams
3" TBE
Perrin intake
Walbro 255
RC 1000cc
vishnu cam gears

Tuned @ GST motorsports 289WHP @ 22PSI on 91oct

Last edited by fishie36; Mar 8, 2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Pull the head and take a look but sounds like she's def shot man. Time for a rebuild
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuild time pal...sorry for the loss
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:20 PM

Any idea what a rebuild is gonna cost just in parts if I do it myself?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on what all you are going to rebuild. If you are doing Just the head not bad but the entire motor can get expensive. But If you are going to do it Might as well do it right First time. Spend a little extra and build it strong.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thedru13
Depends on what all you are going to rebuild. If you are doing Just the head not bad but the entire motor can get expensive. But If you are going to do it Might as well do it right First time. Spend a little extra and build it strong.
Agreed, if your going to do it yourself correctly, I would guess around 3k.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

No way to know whats F'ed up until you pull the head off and take a look. Could get pretty pricey for valvetrain components, bottom end components, machining, and assembly. A built shorty alone is 3k from most vendors on here, head built is like 2k, add in all the accessories (WP, Oil Pump, Timing components) and you'll quickly find yourself in the 7k-8k range
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

What exactly do you expect to find when you pull the head?? You need to drop the oil pan. Drain the oil into a very clean drain plan so you look in it for metal. Also you will notice the oil filter is probly gonna be kinda heavy. Chances are what you heard was rod knock and one rod is pretty much welded to the crank. The plug is smashed because as the bearing clearence gets so large it essentialy allows the pic to travel to far in both directions so on an upstroke it makes contact with plug.

Also try putting a 1/2 in ratchet in the crank pulley and turn it over by hand.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
time for a call to buschur!
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

agreed, call Bushur or a reputable motor builder. I found one around me that would have built the whole motor and installed it with a tune (2.0 to 2.3 stroker) for around $3500.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 20gmr
What exactly do you expect to find when you pull the head??
F'ed piston, valve (may be able to see from the VC off, maybe not) he said the plug tip was I agree with dropping the pan as well but if the piston collided with the valve you'll have to check it out.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I were to bet on what happened I would say the car jumped time slightly on start up, maybe 2 teeth or so. That was the slight tapping you were hearing, the pistons just barely making contact with the valves. Then when you started it again It jumped a few more teeth, and that's when you have the serious contact leading to your bent valves, broken plugs and dented/punctured pistons. I have had my talon jump time during startup once a few years back.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by talonkev
If I were to bet on what happened I would say the car jumped time slightly on start up, maybe 2 teeth or so. That was the slight tapping you were hearing, the pistons just barely making contact with the valves. Then when you started it again It jumped a few more teeth, and that's when you have the serious contact leading to your bent valves, broken plugs and dented/punctured pistons. I have had my talon jump time during startup once a few years back.
most of the possibilities discussed in this thread could be proved or disproved by draining the oil
Old Mar 9, 2010, 02:52 PM
Account Disabled

So I helped him pull the head today and this is what we found...

All the exhaust valves were destroyed and at least two pistons have cracks across them. Obviously time for a new motor etc. The belt isnt busted but theres a couple teeth missing and one of the cam gear bolts was loose. Doesnt look like it slipped but who knows... Havent pulled the lower covers yet but looks as if one of the tensioners went, or maybe a balance shaft or something possibly... The bottom end is frozen up still so we wont really know till it comes apart. My vote is that if the core is still good to get himself a buscher short block and call it a day with another stock head for now.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
F'ed piston, valve (may be able to see from the VC off, maybe not) he said the plug tip was I agree with dropping the pan as well but if the piston collided with the valve you'll have to check it out.
powned....lol my bad man. I thought for sure it was a bearing

Quick Reply: Motor blown? Wont turn over...