Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what rod to go with?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what rod to go with?

hello everyone, i finally got an evo! well the previous owner had eagle h beams in the motor and i am going to swap them for something around my hp goals = <700hp. I was looking at three rods, all of them are capable of my hp goal, with that in mind i decided i wanted the lightest rod. heres what i came up with.

Manley 300m - 685g
Manley I beam turbo tuff - 675g
Pauter X beam - 685g
Oliver - 576g

IMO oliver takes the cake by a long shot! All use ARP2000 rod bolts and all are rated to at least 800hp, my question is, has anyone used the oliver rods, and if you have how are you liking them?

thanks guys!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
oliver are great. manley's are excellent too. pauter would be my last choice. of the few high end rod failures i have seen, all have been pauters.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

ill let you know how my Howard's rods work out...(MAPerformance)
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wht9er
ill let you know how my Howard's rods work out...(MAPerformance)
howards always made good stuff.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the I beams now in my current build and used them in my old DSM. They are great rods just not the lightest.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:43 PM

do you know what the howards weigh? i want to run the lightest because i tend to beat on the car....everyday....so addicting lol, so i don't want to put an incredible amount of stress on the car. plus does anyone know a reputable company that sells olivers?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run Oliver rods and my car sees 9200RPM and 35-40psi daily and has for over 10,000 miles now. They havent failed yet... Now i got to go knock on some wood!

AMS can get you Oliver rods.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeliriouS
do you know what the howards weigh?
Right around the 650g mark, but they're only $649.99 and I guarantee you won't break them
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Right around the 650g mark, but they're only $649.99 and I guarantee you won't break them
Chris I don't understand why you don't do more to let people know these rods use a 7/16 rod bolt. Pretty much all aftermarket rods run 3/8 bolts, and I like the bigger ones much better.

Also after a decent bit of research I have found that Manley uses 7 bolt/evo rod bearings, ollivers have tang releifs for both 7bolt and 6 bolt rod bearings so you can use either, and MAP Howards rods are designed for 6 bolt bearings. I really like the Idea of running the 6 bolt bearings because of the extra 2.2 mm of width. They have the same inner and outer diameter just wider so they can spread the load out on the crank more. They also have a wider locating tang
Old Mar 11, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

PS my MAP/Howards rods were 637g each and all within .5g of each other.

I have handled quite a few sets of evo rods, ollivers, MAP,crower, Manley (turbo tuffs), and obviously stock.
Out of the 4 aftermarket sets I have handled I like the MAP rods the best.
The most weight variance was on the manley's
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

i went with turbo tuffs just because they offer longer rods off the shelf. i wish more companies would offer a 156 or better yet a 159.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 20gmr
Chris I don't understand why you don't do more to let people know these rods use a 7/16 rod bolt. Pretty much all aftermarket rods run 3/8 bolts, and I like the bigger ones much better.

Also after a decent bit of research I have found that Manley uses 7 bolt/evo rod bearings, ollivers have tang releifs for both 7bolt and 6 bolt rod bearings so you can use either, and MAP Howards rods are designed for 6 bolt bearings. I really like the Idea of running the 6 bolt bearings because of the extra 2.2 mm of width. They have the same inner and outer diameter just wider so they can spread the load out on the crank more. They also have a wider locating tang
You sir should be a part of my marketing team! lol It sounds like we are on the same wavelength in regards to what we're looking for in a connecting rod

Originally Posted by 20gmr
PS my MAP/Howards rods were 637g each and all within .5g of each other.

I have handled quite a few sets of evo rods, ollivers, MAP,crower, Manley (turbo tuffs), and obviously stock.
Out of the 4 aftermarket sets I have handled I like the MAP rods the best.
The most weight variance was on the manley's
That sounds right, I was quoting the weight of the 6 bolt rods that have a little more material on the big end. We sincerely appreciate your support!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

I have a set of Howards sitting here as we speak. I was sold after I was told it is what they run in the RWD white car (MAP). They were also at an unbeatable price and I didnt have to deal with any back ordering.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

honestly there are many aspects that make the howards a great rod. pretty light considering they are an i-beam, they are billet steel, they use the 6 bolt bearings (which need to be chamfered for oil purposes), they use a 7/16 bolt, and best of all THEY ARE MADE IN THE USA! Meaning they are made from quality materials! I unfortunately had to chamfer the crank end of the rod as well (because it did not come like that from factory as they should). These are matted up with some JE 2618 pistons and 9000 series wristpins. im hoping for a (near) bullet proof motor.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Im selling some Carillo Rods with CARR bolts if your interested?

Quick Reply: what rod to go with?