Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 8 mr chassis, evo 9 engine, 6 speed tranny, 380 whps , stage 1 exedy (1 year 6 months and counting...) daily drive exelent for road racing... tranny.
DRAG 5speed or 6 speed with long 3 and 4 i think so.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was talking with one of our local guys that deals with Shep a lot. To me after talking with him, I highly doubt this will pan out. Sounds like a TON of money invested in this and would have to either sell a ton at a cheaper price or charge a lot of money.

Keep in mind, a majority of people that ruined their 6spd have already converted over to the 5spd. I'm just not sure how many 6spd are left that would actually get this done.

I could be wrong, but I'm not thinking this will become a reality.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metalsaber
Was talking with one of our local guys that deals with Shep a lot. To me after talking with him, I highly doubt this will pan out. Sounds like a TON of money invested in this and would have to either sell a ton at a cheaper price or charge a lot of money.

Keep in mind, a majority of people that ruined their 6spd have already converted over to the 5spd. I'm just not sure how many 6spd are left that would actually get this done.

I could be wrong, but I'm not thinking this will become a reality.
There is nothing wrong with the 6 speed, just ask Odub
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
There is nothing wrong with the 6 speed, just ask Odub
He's entitled to his opinion. I just know that the majority of 6spd owners in my area that aren't at stock power (and some that are) have made the 5spd swap.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

He's entitled to his opinion. I just know that the majority of 6spd owners in my area that aren't at stock power (and some that are) have made the 5spd swap.
I agree, I have seen plenty of people have problems with it and/or make the switch. I just think foolish pride is no reason to give out misinformation.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Basing your opinion on anecdotal regional information for something that has a national audience is more than a little presumptive on your part. Not to mention, most people's feedback from Shep has been positive regarding getting this done.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:19 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm interested also. I will never run my car on any sort of track, but I like having a fast car on the street. I love the 6 speed for lower highway rpm during cruising.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Basing your opinion on anecdotal regional information for something that has a national audience is more than a little presumptive on your part. Not to mention, most people's feedback from Shep has been positive regarding getting this done.
Well considering the money I heard invested so far with only 1 working prototype, I'm not holding out hopes.

The Pittsburgh area has a lot of 8s and 9s running around, I wouldn't say it's anecdotal. The vast majority of 6spd owners have already swapped to 5spds. There aren't many 6spd owners left.

Those at stock levels probably won't even do the upgrade if their transmission is still working fine. Then if the cost is too high compared to a 5spd swap, it will turn off people. And lets not forget that it still won't hold up as well as a built 5spd.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
The Pittsburgh area has a lot of 8s and 9s running around, I wouldn't say it's anecdotal. The vast majority of 6spd owners have already swapped to 5spds. There aren't many 6spd owners left.
Considering this thread is 10 pages long, we'll have to agree to disagree on the whole "There aren't many six speed owners left." Perhaps that's true in Pittsburgh, but the country is much bigger than just the Steel City.

I, for one, have money in hand for this upgrade. There are others as well.

And lets not forget that it still won't hold up as well as a built 5spd.
This is conjecture on your part. The 1st and 2nd gear on the 6 speed are wider than the 5 speed. The new 3, 4 and 5 that Shep is developing look pretty damn beefy. Until you or someone else has actual back-to-back data, we have no idea what is and isn't stronger.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Jun 30, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Well considering the high demand for the 6 speed upgrade I think both of you can at least agree that 6 speed in its current form isn't very stout when dealing with over stock power levels.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Considering this thread is 10 pages long, we'll have to agree to disagree on the whole "There aren't many six speed owners left." Perhaps that's true in Pittsburgh, but the country is much bigger than just the Steel City.

I, for one, have money in hand for this upgrade. There are others as well.

This is conjecture on your part. The 1st and 2nd gear on the 6 speed are wider than the 5 speed. The new 3, 4 and 5 that Shep is developing look pretty damn beefy. Until you or someone else has actual back-to-back data, we have no idea what is and isn't stronger.

10 pages...I'll give you that. But how many are duplicate posters? How many have moved off to 5spd land or will if the release isn't anytime in the near future? I know the OP has. Money in hand is one thing. If the price is about the same as a 5spd swap, I'm not sure why you'd want the 6spd especially if you eventually want to make more power and it won't have the track record an upgraded 5spd already has.

Gears are a good thing, but the other complaint was that the heat was a big killer of the 6spd. I road race mine, but if you add bigger gears which should translate into less tranny fluid, I would think the heat issue will be even worse.

If his current prototype fails, it just means more and more money invested. Believe me, I hope he gets it released ASAP. I really want it.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wreckless969
Well considering the high demand for the 6 speed upgrade I think both of you can at least agree that 6 speed in its current form isn't very stout when dealing with over stock power levels.
Agreed. I'm running 400whp right now on a Mustang Dyno, and I pray each day when running it on the track that it holds up.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

i really do hope this does come out soon!! i love the 6spd
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Most 6 speed owners, I know, are more interested in DD, road racing, and auto cross. All of which doesn't require over 700 plus hp. The trend for participating in these type of events, are builds that's usually more elaborate, because we pay more attention to braking, suspension, aero dynamics and cooling.
With the added benefit of better gearing than the 5 speed, less hwy drone, and you can participate in all the above events w/ even the occasional drag racing, there might be more people going the 6 speed route.

Last edited by 38six; Jun 30, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

I heart my six speed. I'll pay whatever Shep wants (if/when mine goes) - I just want it done.

Quick Reply: Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed