Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2010, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
There was some guy over on high boost forums claiming he had the Shep 6 speed prototype gears. He also mentioned he was going to be selling his car.

This is all, of course, hearsay.
Which makes my prediction seem even more pessimistic?
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalsaber
Which makes my prediction seem even more pessimistic?

damn that sucks all kinda dick
Old Jul 3, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Not to worry guys. This will be coming out. You'll have more info shortly. Testing is going very well.
Have some faith.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

I've got full faith in John and found him to be very helpful and informative this is going to be amazing I know it.

I also have patience and won't be pushing John but I know he is very close to finishing this too.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

subscribed and very interested myself.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

I only have a handful of payments left, and have big power plans for the future, so I also wouldn't hesitate in paying for the ultimate SIX speed box! hopefully Shep is listening..................
Old Jul 4, 2010, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Thing is regardless it will never be as strong as a built 5 speed variant....so all these "big power goals" are gonna have a limit. I seriously doubt that you will be able to make a 6spd handle 550-600WHP day in and day out....at least thats what i'm looking for...so it just doesn't make sense for me to stick with it.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:31 PM

yeah for that amount of power it might just not be feasible, but for most people it will be enough and plus its some aftermarket support for the 6 speed drivetrain which is always good.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

the point is not to out-do the 5 speed. to it's to have the option to keep your 6 speed if that's what's right for your driving style. If you're shooting for 750whp, you have no need for the 6 speed. However, if you have realistic goals and a reason to want the 6 speed over the 5, this is the way to go. And just a heads up, 600whp with this new upgraded 6 won't be a problem.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by berns
the point is not to out-do the 5 speed. to it's to have the option to keep your 6 speed if that's what's right for your driving style. If you're shooting for 750whp, you have no need for the 6 speed. However, if you have realistic goals and a reason to want the 6 speed over the 5, this is the way to go. And just a heads up, 600whp with this new upgraded 6 won't be a problem.
I think the 6-speed is a better alternative for those who really daily drive their Evos and spend time on freeways/highways. I would definitely be happy to see an upgraded gearbox option for the 6-speed that could handle more torque in the upper gears, especially 4th gear.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 09:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Thing is regardless it will never be as strong as a built 5 speed variant
Based on what?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on what?
This is just a guess here but it would stand to reason since the space alloted for the 5 gears is the same amount alloted for the 6 gears the 5 speed will always be able to have thicker and stronger gears.

Also since the 6 speed has a tendancy to overheat and adding a trans cooler helps it, I would think adding one to the 5 speed would let it run even cooler. Allowing for even more durability.

Of course I don't know much about trans rebulding but I think its fair to assume that if it was easy to make the 5 speed to strong and they have gone this long with a 6 speed alternative, that the 5 speed will always be able to maintain a strength advantage over the 6 speed.

I hope I'm wrong as I missed having 6 gears going from my GTI to my Evo.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 09:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by wreckless969
This is just a guess here but it would stand to reason since the space alloted for the 5 gears is the same amount alloted for the 6 gears the 5 speed will always be able to have thicker and stronger gears.

Also since the 6 speed has a tendancy to overheat and adding a trans cooler helps it, I would think adding one to the 5 speed would let it run even cooler. Allowing for even more durability.
The thickness of the gears has been gone over before. Gears 1-3 are actually wider on the 6 speed than on the 5 speed (read stonger). Gear 4 and 5 tend to be the problem. The new 3, 4 and 5 than Shep is testing out look WAY beefier than the OEM gears. I am no materials engineer, but I would love to see the OEM 5 speed 3, 4, 5 gears compared to the Shep 3, 4, and 5. There is WAY more material on the new gearset.

Heat can be a problem on the road course. A lot of road race guys use a tranny cooler regardless of whether they're running a 5 or 6 speed.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Fully Built 5 speed swap FTW
Old Jul 5, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thickness of the gears has been gone over before. Gears 1-3 are actually wider on the 6 speed than on the 5 speed (read stonger). Gear 4 and 5 tend to be the problem. The new 3, 4 and 5 than Shep is testing out look WAY beefier than the OEM gears. I am no materials engineer, but I would love to see the OEM 5 speed 3, 4, 5 gears compared to the Shep 3, 4, and 5. There is WAY more material on the new gearset.

Heat can be a problem on the road course. A lot of road race guys use a tranny cooler regardless of whether they're running a 5 or 6 speed.
I know the 6 speed has wider 1 thru 3 gears but how often do you hear of a built tranny tearing up those gears? I'm willing to bet that if Mitsu kept 1 thru 3 the same as in the 5 speed they would have been able to beef up gears 4 and 5.

Hell maybe thats what shep is doing for the build. I dont know I'm on a government PC and can't usually see pics.

And I know they use a transcooler but what I msaying is a 5 speed with a transcooler is gonan run cooler then a 6 speed with one. Leading to more longevity outta the 5 speed...in theory anyways.

Quick Reply: Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed