Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some information in case everyone is wondering.

When the shep 6 speed comes out, this is what the specs will be:

Output handling: ~650Whp ~500Wtq
Built 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.
4.09 Final Drive upgrade.
Optional welded bungs for an installable oil cooler system.

At 7000rpms, the end of each gear will take you to the following MPH:
1st: 44
2nd: 65
3rd: 89
4th: 116
5th: 146
6th: 186

At 8000rpm's, the following MPH can be reached:
1st: 50
2nd: 74
3rd: 102
4th: 132
5th: 167
6th: 209

Notes (According to John Shepherd):
6th doesn't need building. He has never seen a case where it has gone. Tq breaks things, and 6th doesn't see the "Slamming of TQ" that the other gears see.
The 5th gear crunch happens in even the 5 speeds, and he is hoping this is remedied by lengthening the gears to eliminate the need to slam into 5th so frequently.
If you think about it, this makes a lot of sense.

There is a lot of hype out there about 6th gear being weak. There is a lot of hype about heat and shifter rail issues. These are not issues. Truth be told, from what I've gathered, abused transmissions will aways get damaged. If you're going to road race it, I think anyone with road race experience can tell you that they'd recommend an oil cooler. It's a fact that the 6 speed holds less fluid than the 5, but both transmissions can easily see heat problems with serious abuse. So don't sit here and fill the community with hype about heat issues dedicated to the 6 speed. With great power, comes great responsibility. Let's keep this support going for Shep and hopefully he'll have this thing out to the public!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still no word on time and cost?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

unfortunately no, and no.

I can only give estimates to those questions. The best I can say is that it's in the works, and the price will be competitive. Shep doesn't know how to fail.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

did he say thats the max that trans should see or just what it has seen thus far?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

all i can really say to that, is that the factory trans's were designed for 286hp, and we seen what they can take. That doesn't mean that shep's 6 speed will take 1200lbs of torque, but if he says it will take 550-650, in the hands of the right driver, I don't see why it wouldnt handle 700. I'll leave that up to the risk-taking public to find out. I don't plan on going over 600 wheel. I'm not a dragster. Most 6spd owners aren't either. You know what I mean? I'm sure there's some lee-way. But I won't be the one testing that.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

if the #s are correct, it will be plenty for me.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

*New information*
Gears alone shipped to your door will be roughly a bit under $2,000 (Maybe $1800, which is around $300 per gear) Note: You are getting 6 new gears. The final drive option will be an estimate of $900. All together (if you want the full package), you're looking at less than $3,000 for gears and FD. This does NOT include synchros, or any other things you'd need to service the trans. It also does not include the pre-welded bungs for if you need to run an oil cooler.

Also, there have been some rumors floating around that he'll be offering STOCK ratio BUILT gears... This is INCORRECT. The only gears he is offering are the ones that I mentioned above. It will lengthen your gears a bit, however Shepherd says there is almost no difference in MPH if you chose to NOT go with the Final Drive upgrade (this is for the people that really like the stock 6 speed ratios) You will still have short gears if you JUST purchase the built gears alone. I'm trying to get an MPH chart for everyone with the built gears and no final drive.

Thanks to user waynea, we have a nice oil cooler pump that we can use for this transmission for the people that will go that route (which I will DEFINITELY be going... I want this transmission to outlive the car). Now does anyone have any ideas on an actual oil cooler that would fit someone by the front left of the bumper area? (Opposite of the factory oil cooler)

Don't forget, if you're interested in any of this... visit this thread

Last edited by MagicManRed; Aug 9, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

2k just for gears? That's WAY more than I want to pay considering you can get your 5spd built for under $1k.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Don't know what to tell you... I tried to mention in my thread that if money is an issue, the trans probably isn't up your ally. Depends on the owner really. I for one, bought the MR for a reason, the extra 5k didn't bother me then, another 2-3k wont bother me now. I want the thing to handle 600hp, and I am not going 5spd. If you want a 5spd, that's perfectly fine. It's your preference. I'm trying to get as much info out there to everyone and trying to make everyone happy I hope everyone understands the work, risks and time spent when it comes to building this 6 speed. No one else has done this, and we are in 2010. The manual MR 6 speed has been out quite a while. I think Shep is doing a fantastic job, and it's well worth the R&D and efforts that he has put in. Best of luck either way.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
2k just for gears? That's WAY more than I want to pay considering you can get your 5spd built for under $1k.
Brant you have to buy a 5 speed transmission also. Plus the linkage to convert 6-speed to 5 speed. Now, you could get deals on this to run under 3k, but most likely it would equal out. I for one would love to see what it would cost to have the 6-speed dropped off, rebuilt and picked up with the new FD and fittings for oil cooler.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike01gsr
Brant you have to buy a 5 speed transmission also. Plus the linkage to convert 6-speed to 5 speed. Now, you could get deals on this to run under 3k, but most likely it would equal out. I for one would love to see what it would cost to have the 6-speed dropped off, rebuilt and picked up with the new FD and fittings for oil cooler.
I understand that, but my point is that those with existing 5spds aren't paying 2k for new gears. They pay around 1k to get transmission rebuilt. I knew the price was going to be way too high.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

It is pricey, especially for just new gears and not an entirely overhauled transmission. I am glad that some numbers came out and that MagicManRed has been doing his homework on the subject.

I am sure it will be a beast transmission, and that many would prefer the 6 to the 5 for Road Race/Auto-X applications, but is the cost worth it to you? A question only you can answer.

So 2,000.00 for the Gears, 900.00 for the Final Drive, at least 100.00-150.00 for him to weld the bungs and get it prepped for the oil cooler, then at least another 150.00-200.00 for the cooler.

If your synchros or any internals need servicing that is inside it is going to be another 800.00-900.00, and if he is offering the ISF for gears etc for this it will be another 250.00-300.00.

So if your 6 is totally shot and you want to build it into this thing it will be around 4,200.00 even if you provide him with a core. This is worst case and I haven't heard of this definitive pricing from anywhere, I just took prices he has on his site for some of the stuff listed above (the ISF, servicing, etc). 4,200.00 is a good chunk of change, but hopefully it is worth it to those who choose it.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by metalsaber
In the scope of buying new gears, 2k for a custom (and stronger) gearset is entirely reasonable. What did you think, that brand new, custom -made gears were going to be $500 bucks? REALLY?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
In the scope of buying new gears, 2k for a custom (and stronger) gearset is entirely reasonable. What did you think, that brand new, custom -made gears were going to be $500 bucks? REALLY?
Not to sound rude, but did you even read my post? Since you didn't I'll post this:
http://www.sheptrans.com/transmissions/evo.htm

Street/Strip Transmission: We take your trans and apply all applicable technical service bulletins and updates as well as modify the oiling system and a few other tricks to make it shift really well. This trans build is used by the quickest and fastest EVOs around including both the AMS drag car and time attack car, AL (Dynoflash), Buschur Racing, Curt Brown, Pruven Performance, Dan Bajalis, Proco EVO and many more.

Included Features:
  • New 3rd gear synchro
  • New 1-2 shifting sleeve
  • New 2nd gear synchro
  • New 1st gear synchro
  • New 4th gear synchro
  • New 3-4 shifting sleeve
  • New 5th gear synchro
  • New 5-R shifting sleeve
  • New seals , shims and snap rings
  • New 3-4 fork
  • New input shaft bearings
  • New high strength roll pins
  • New Reverse synchro
  • New 1,2,3,4,5,R synchro springs
  • Neodymium magnet

$895

Yes $900 for the WORKS on a 5spd yet $2k for just the gears on a 6spd?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Those are actually just for the synchros and such, Saber. If you look beneath that you will see the prices for the actual gears themselves, and they do get a bit pricey.

Option - $1100 4.11 Final drive upgrade
Option - $375 EVO 9 1st gear ratio
Option - $225 EVO 9 5th gear
Option - $350 EVO 8 3-4 conversion for EVO 9 tranmission
Option - $250 REM ISF® Process gearset with rails and hub/sleeves
Option - $60 REM ISF sleeves
Option - $150 REM ISF hub/sleeves and shifter rails
Option - Revised ratios available (contact us)
Option - $450 6spd to 5spd conversion kit (must be purchased with a new or rebuilt transmission)

So for just a 5th gear out of an Evo 9 he charges 225.00. So if he is replacing so many gears on the new 6, then the prices do pile up.

The price is still high, and I am in sticker shock, but this is the first time Shep has come up with an entirely new set of gears for the Evo. Until now it has been just using a combination of ratios and gears between the 8 and 9 setup that worked well and it has been great. Now he has to come up with an entirely new set of gears that he designed.

Still pricey, but new, and that means its even more expensive.

Quick Reply: Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed