Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buchnerj
Those are actually just for the synchros and such, Saber. If you look beneath that you will see the prices for the actual gears themselves, and they do get a bit pricey.

Option - $1100 4.11 Final drive upgrade
Option - $375 EVO 9 1st gear ratio
Option - $225 EVO 9 5th gear
Option - $350 EVO 8 3-4 conversion for EVO 9 tranmission
Option - $250 REM ISF® Process gearset with rails and hub/sleeves
Option - $60 REM ISF sleeves
Option - $150 REM ISF hub/sleeves and shifter rails
Option - Revised ratios available (contact us)
Option - $450 6spd to 5spd conversion kit (must be purchased with a new or rebuilt transmission)

So for just a 5th gear out of an Evo 9 he charges 225.00. So if he is replacing so many gears on the new 6, then the prices do pile up.

The price is still high, and I am in sticker shock, but this is the first time Shep has come up with an entirely new set of gears for the Evo. Until now it has been just using a combination of ratios and gears between the 8 and 9 setup that worked well and it has been great. Now he has to come up with an entirely new set of gears that he designed.

Still pricey, but new, and that means its even more expensive.
True on that assuming you need to replace a few gears. Even at $300 avg on gear above * 3 (# of gears replacing on the 6spd) = $900. Still seems about $1k too high.

I guess we'll see what the actual consumer response is. I do have access to a perfect 5spd for $1k. I should just buy it and be done with it.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
True on that assuming you need to replace a few gears. Even at $300 avg on gear above * 3 (# of gears replacing on the 6spd) = $900. Still seems about $1k too high.

I guess we'll see what the actual consumer response is. I do have access to a perfect 5spd for $1k. I should just buy it and be done with it.
Yes, thats my thoughts exactly. I was in sticker shock because he is replacing 3 of the 6 gears in the transmission, so even if each gear is $600.00 to produce (highly unlikely) then he is still making a $200.00 profit. You have to pay him for his uniqueness and the fact that he came up with the gear set himself and was the first to implement it in the Evo.

It is just a pricey piece of equipment. I would have given it a shot had I not gotten such a deal on a 5 speed. I still have a 6 speed laying around here so if it turns out to be a great investment then I will convert back. Only time will tell...
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great news! you can count me in.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

magicmanred , I'm going to try and use the HKS double oil cooler system, you can special order it from japan.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

metalsaber and buchnerj compare prices of the 5 speed w/ the perfect rpm drop bc thats the closest comparison to the new custom shep 6 speed.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
man with a really strong 6spd you'll have people switching to them and giving up on their 5spd lol. i would switch but my car is more of a DD. it would be nice to cruise at something less than 4K rpm doing 80 on the highway lol
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by metalsaber

Hey, if you want to compare a custom, stronger gearset to a high-volume, mass produced OEM set, and wonder why the low volume, custom set costs more you are free to do so
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

To the people that believe this price is high. I am speechless, and am not going to comment. I've done what I could to explain the situation, and reasoning to pricing.

To those people that have an MR that care about their ratios that don't only drag-race an AWD Road-Going Rally Car (Possible Auto-X and Track Days... who doesn't like track days anyway?)... and spent the extra on an MR and want to keep it an MR... and also understand what work goes into this type of one-off custom work... Here it finally is... slowly coming together.

I'm doing my best to give as much information as possible, and give John Shepherd as much incentive as possible to produce a good amount of these that would make it WORTH even MORE of his time that he HASN'T gotten paid for yet with regards to this 6 speed project. As in ANY consumer related business, especially in the automotive industry... you will always have people that can't justify price on certain things (I have done this myself), and then you have people that can (which is me, on this one). The MR transmission is not cheap alone by any means... and for anyone that thought it would be cheap to build... think again. This is not a transfer case.

I hope the people on the list in the other thread remain serious inquirers. Whether you have to save up your money for a year or two, or buy 3 at a time, this transmission is coming from ShepTrans, where customer dis-satisfaction is not in the mans vocabulary.

Any serious questions... send my way via PM and I'll have John answer them asap.

Rock on 6 speeders.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Hey, if you want to compare a custom, stronger gearset to a high-volume, mass produced OEM set, and wonder why the low volume, custom set costs more you are free to do so
Exactly. You know there's no engineered obsolecense with the custom gears, so those things will likely outlive most of the other wear parts on the car.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

And as I said, the consumer will be the final deciding factor. If they think 3 gears (nothing else) for $2k is a good deal they'll certainly go for it.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

I wasn't putting anything down, and I think the 6 speed is a great option. I also love to see new creativity and development for the Evo platform.

As I said before, I have my 6 speed still around and will send it in if these pan out well. I just broke the price down above to explain how much it would actually be if your transmission is shot and has to be totally rebuilt.

I understand the increase in price as they are a much more custom gearset then the one he offers for the 5 speed, and there are only a limited number of them too. I am sure I speak for everyone here that we appreciate your research and communication MagicManRed.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

buchnerj... I totally understand man. I didn't think you were putting anything down at all actually. In fact I like your posts/replies a lot. They put things in perspective and remove some clouds that some of us have floating around.

To metalsaber... you aren't getting 3 gears for 2000. In fact it's 1800. $200 isn't exactly nothing. But hey, if you want to throw me $200 I'll gladly take it. And it isn't 3 gears to begin with, you're getting 6. It's just that 3 of them are beefier. 3rd, 4th (being the most important), and 5th.

Erik_at_Mil.Spec... well said sir.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MagicManRed
buchnerj... I totally understand man. I didn't think you were putting anything down at all actually. In fact I like your posts/replies a lot. They put things in perspective and remove some clouds that some of us have floating around.

To metalsaber... you aren't getting 3 gears for 2000. In fact it's 1800. $200 isn't exactly nothing. But hey, if you want to throw me $200 I'll gladly take it. And it isn't 3 gears to begin with, you're getting 6. It's just that 3 of them are beefier. 3rd, 4th (being the most important), and 5th.

Erik_at_Mil.Spec... well said sir.
Well your original post said a little under $2k. Since I can't guess what that price was I used $2k.

You need to be clear now since your original post is vague. Are you saying that the $2k price is for brand new 1-6 gears or only 3-5 (problem gears)? If it's for 6 brand new gears, I will change my tune. The problem is my 1-6 are just fine as is, so I'd rather know prices on 3-5 gears unless these new gears won't work with the factory gears.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Prices are still vague. There is nothing definite yet. I am giving ball parks as he has not pulled the trigger on mass producing. He has given me estimated costs that will be very close to actual cost once mass produced.

Yes $1800 is for 6 actual physical gears. I am trying to get an answer to the rest of your questions. Will need some time.

In fact, I mentioned to John a few days back that I wouldn't be surprised if people will ask if they can just have 3rd, 4th and 5th. Must be a reason he hasn't priced them that way. I for one, want 6 new gears. But for those that want to save a little here and there... I understand and will see what his response will be.

I'll see what he says.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

I apologize then. I was under the impression that the price was for 3 gears and thus my reaction to the price.

Quick Reply: Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed